Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #46
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: Rear Axle Break

I have used Eastwood Rust Encapsulator with very good results.
It sprays on just like paint, does well as a primer and is durable enough to be a "top coat", meaning, if you have a good surface, dry with no more than very light surface rust......it is all you need.
I got it at www.eastwood.com.
It is expensive, but it is very good stuff.
They also have a product that you can spray inside frame members as well as a "rust converter" that you spray onto rust, then wait about 48 hours and then spray over that with the Rust Encapsulator.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #47
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenj42 View Post
Dumb question, but has anyone tried fabricating a stronger replacement that would stand up to the stress this van places on it? I am thinking some plate steel and a piece of pipe plus mounting plates for the wheels should do it. IMHO would take no more than a week to measure an old axle, cut pieces to fit, weld it all up, and mount the sucker. oh yeah and plates to hold the springs, always something... sheesh! LOL Just a thought peeps... we need to do something effective here and if Henry isnt up to the task.....
The rear axle is a torsion bar. It's made to twist to act like a semi-independent rear suspension. So that you have a good handling in corner while good damping on pothole.

If you weld it to solid steel, or replace it to steel, it will not twist. Fiberglass is a good substitute, but more expensive. Ford was trying to save on this VAN.
2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1L OHV (sold)
2004 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6L DOHC manual (sold)
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S 3.1L OHV (sold)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC (sold)

A Windstar without having the check engine light is not a real Windstar.

serge_saati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #48
warrenj42
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to warrenj42
Unhappy Re: Rear Axle Break

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_saati View Post
The rear axle is a torsion bar. It's made to twist to act like a semi-independent rear suspension. So that you have a good handling in corner while good damping on pothole.

If you weld it to solid steel, or replace it to steel, it will not twist. Fiberglass is a good substitute, but more expensive. Ford was trying to save on this VAN.
I figured as much. I wasn't thinking well pipe or anything so robust, but merely something stronger than that weak excuse for a piece of tin. The Caravans used a piece of solid pipe and leaf springs, they never failed like that. I am merely suggesting options. We cant be completely euchred on this issue.

warrenj42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #49
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I think I'll stick with original, or replacement, OEM piece. I see that the axle does not take very large loads in normal driving ... but is necessary to keep the rear wheels tracking parrallel. However, for those rare events when the axle smacks some road debris or high-ground ... the loads could be tremendous. This would amount to the "final straw" for a pre-weakened member.
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #50
warrenj42
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to warrenj42
Smile On a mission here!

I am going to talk to a local welding shop to see if they have any ideas. I completely understand and appreciate what is being said here but I have seen this kind of technology in development and action and also seen equipment built to last that would fix this issue once and for all. If its feasible, IF its affordable, IF it works with some semblance of a smooth ride, the parts and blueprints will be made available to whoever needs them. I hope to be able to read, post, and benefit from the huge wealth of knowledge presented here on this board for years to come. This is new vehicle to me so your input will be invaluable to keeping me and my family safe and happily cruising. However, on the issue of the rear axle, I'm on a mission. Wish me luck!
warrenj42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #51
car3345
AF Newbie

I am not sure how much salt they use where you are at in Illinois. Take the van to a Ford dealer asap to have the axle inspected. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area and they use lots. I have a 96 and a 99 Windstar. My 99 is currently parked at the dealership with holes completely through the axle. The good news is that I have a brand new rental that Ford is paying for until replacement axles are available. The axle looked great from the back, (not visible until you get directly underneath it) it was the inner hollow area that was rusted through. The dealer has numerous Windstars in their back yard with axles completely broken and lots more that they grounded for cracks and holes. This is a wide spread problem in rust belt states, get yours looked at asap. The axle on the 96 is a completely different design and much more heavier and stronger compared to the 99. I like my vans, but they are prone to several common problems. I do all of my repair work myself, this site has helped me numerous times. Good luck.
car3345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #52
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to serge_saati Send a message via Yahoo to serge_saati Send a message via Skype™ to serge_saati

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
Has anyone seen a new axle that Ford is supplying? ... does it have a different look?
The new axle will be available between January through March 2011. In the mean time, they will inspect your vehicle.

If your van inspection succeed, they will just add antirust treatment on it.
Then they will add part to enforce your axle. These parts will be available before january.

If the inspection fails (too rusty), they will give you a free rental car until they receive the new axle. Probably a Flex Limited 2011 or something. Or, they will offer to buy your van if its value is less than the cost to repair it (~700$ or less).

I just received the infos from Ford.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #53
pack69
AF Newbie

Does anyone know what Ford will do if the axle was cracked but since welded by another shop? This is the case for mine and I am taking it in next week for the recall inspection. I will post up what happens.
pack69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #54
tebo77
AF Newbie

Flex? I got a puddle-jumper Nissan Sentra. I asked where am I supposed to put my groceries?? lol.
They will probably inspect yours and if the repair passes safety inspection, you'll be good.
I was hoping they would purchase mine but now I see why they didn't if the limit is $700 or less in value. I just thought it would be cheaper valued at 2 grand even then paying $40 a day for a rental for 3-5 months.
I miss my Windstar!
tebo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #55
XterraRacer
AF Newbie

A windstar that runs isn't a windstar. Hahahaha
XterraRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #56
serge_saati
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XterraRacer View Post
A windstar that runs isn't a windstar. Hahahaha
Hahaha!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 11:09 PM   #57
Off_Timing
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebo77 View Post
Flex? I got a puddle-jumper Nissan Sentra. I asked where am I supposed to put my groceries?? lol.
They will probably inspect yours and if the repair passes safety inspection, you'll be good.
I was hoping they would purchase mine but now I see why they didn't if the limit is $700 or less in value. I just thought it would be cheaper valued at 2 grand even then paying $40 a day for a rental for 3-5 months.
I miss my Windstar!
What's everyone's experience on this? Can they give you any vehicle they feel like? The Windstar is a large vehicle. For those that got loaner vehicles, what did you get? I certainly don't want a subcompact in lieu of a minivan.
Off_Timing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #58
badded3333
AF Newbie

I have a 99 windbag that failed the axel inspection. So ford is paying enterprise rental $35 a day for my rental. Which is the price of the 2010 Town & Country van I got. Enterprise said I have to pay the taxes. Was anyone else told that? I also wanted to take my plates off and cancel my insurance. My dealer said thats not allowed by ford if I want them to keep paying for my rental. I have another car registered and insured so its not an issue with enterprise because of insurance. I have a feeling that my dealer is blowing smoke, but I dont want to lose the rental by calling their bluff. Has everyone else been required to keep their vehicle registered?
badded3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #59
webbug
AF Newbie

Here's a copy similar to the notice I received.
http://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/ford_recall_notice_10s13.pdf

And in case anyone is interested….here's the rear axle and repair instructions.
link

Last edited by webbug; 02-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
webbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #60
tebo77
AF Newbie

I was not told I had to pay the taxes on the rental.

Yesterday Ford made an offer to buy my Windstar for $2710. Looking online, this is the exact price in the Kelley Blue Book for an excellent condition 2000 Windstar. So, if they choose to make an offer, it looks like they will give book value. I think I am breaking even with what I paid for the van and what I put into it, possibly a $200 profit for my labor lol. I am going to take the offer and buy another minivan, anything without a blue oval on the front!
This is such a helpful site and I have almost enjoyed being a Windstar owner This forum is longer than most others though. It is comforting to know I didn't get a "bad" one, they're all like that lol!
Hats off to Ford. They are going beyond the call of duty to make this right, have been very courteous, and they are not using our tax dollars to purchase the vehicles back!
tebo77 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar