Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 02:15 PM   #121
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
um, a b16 bottom end will hold together pretty well over 200hp.

even if you turbo, which is way more stress than na, you can get close to 300whp out of it stock bottom...

a friend of mine had one that he put a nice turbo on that made 280 at the wheels...

as well as a vortech s/c b16 that made 275 at the wheels. stock bottom.

why can't they handle more?

and nz is full of hot cars... they can get skylines and all sortsa jdm stuff there. all the time compared to us here in the states.

but hey... whatever floats your boat.

the problem is that the honda market has taken over the industry, and even though there are amazing nissans and everything else under the sun, no one knows about anything else, and it is a fairly black art to play with something other than a big H.
and i'll admit that i have learned alot in this thread...
i think it's all about comfort level... i wouldn't be comfy with a motor where all of the info about it is in japanese... but if it is badass, it's still badass.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:50 AM   #122
b12sentra
AF Newbie

info on sr20ve,sr16ve

Quote:
But whats interesting is that GT2 claims the VZ-R N1 used an SR20ve with 200hp and the VZR used the SR16ve with 175hp. hmmmmmmmm
uinfortunately, GT2 provided the wrong info. the VZ-R N1 comes with the 200hp SR16VE(N1 spec).The VZ-R comes with the SR16VE 175hp.
the SR20VE comes from the PRIMERA. if you want info on these sr engines, visit SR20DEforum.com. and your questions and doubts about the SR engies will be answered. :silly2: :silly2: :silly2: :silly2: :silly2:
Old 08-10-2002, 12:49 AM   #123
hondasuck
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to hondasuck
man i went to towers tonight... there were 2 halfs of the show the side with a bunch of really nice vettes. and the side with 10 thousand of the EXACT SAME looking civics with altezzas and white rims... but guess what i didn't see?!?! not one dam NISSAN! the only one ther ewas my mom's infiniti I30 that we drove. i have no clue what the world is coming to and i hope you will all take a moment of silence for all the mislead people at the show, i feel for them badly and hope that one day they will realize. By the way we hit it against a turbocharged Si Manual in my uncles STOCK 98 sentra GXE auto and whooped his ass. he allmost cried :silly2: but anyway, i love you all that love your nissans, and if my first car aint a nissan, i'll ride the bus PEACE!
Old 08-10-2002, 09:50 AM   #124
91HBSi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 91HBSi Send a message via AIM to 91HBSi Send a message via Yahoo to 91HBSi
SOMEbody's been token the reefer...

Former PureHonda.com member since Dec. 00

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Pilippians ONe21
Old 08-11-2002, 10:45 PM   #125
hondasuck
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to hondasuck
not any more
Old 08-14-2002, 09:38 PM   #126
integramus
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to integramus
ok ok ok ........the SR16... is ok

We raced a Vz-R, and the 1st/08 .....and i must say the car runs really good....we got a JDM prelude type S.

Now we won the race, but although i don't know how far apart the cars were at the finish line, i must say the Vz-R gave the Type S a nice run.

It made me wonder whether it's a N1 model or not.....lol....oh and the type S was stock, while the Vz-r, almost stock with a performance filter...but i guess although the type S has more power than the Luciano (pulsar) Vz-R , one must take into consideration that the Vz-R is much much lighter.............but yes it is a good car.

And i don't think one could actually compare the internals of a Honda with that of a nissan.......damn!!......a skyline GTR can handle up to 600 HP with just the stock internals, while still quite new.

But also consider the fact that Honda doesn't make turbo charged car ( anymore...i think there was one like in the 80's or so) , and yet still the NSX Zero Type S .........damn.......280HP stock, and the car is made with the Japanese HP limitation of 280HP from a production car in mind....so BOTH companies are great.

For small yet effiecient and powerful, I would go with the honda........For sky's the limit, hey give Nissan their props.....GTR all the way.

JDM Honda Prelude Type S

Old 08-14-2002, 09:42 PM   #127
integramus
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to integramus
Post ok ok ok ........SR16 .. its quite good

We raced a Vz-R, and the 1st/08 .....and i must say the car runs really good....we got a JDM prelude type S.

Now we won the race, but although i don't know how far apart the cars were at the finish line, i must say the Vz-R gave the Type S a nice run.

It made me wonder whether it's a N1 model or not.....lol....oh and the type S was stock, while the Vz-r, almost stock with a performance filter...but i guess although the type S has more power than the Luciano (pulsar) Vz-R , one must take into consideration that the Vz-R is much much lighter.............but yes it is a good car.

And i don't think one could actually compare the internals of a Honda with that of a nissan.......damn!!......a skyline GTR can handle up to 600 HP with just the stock internals, while still quite new.

But also consider the fact that Honda doesn't make turbo charged car ( anymore...i think there was one like in the 80's or so) , and yet still the NSX Zero Type S .........damn.......280HP stock, and the car is made with the Japanese HP limitation of 280HP from a production car in mind....so BOTH companies are great.

For small yet effiecient and powerful, I would go with the honda........For sky's the limit, hey give Nissan their props.....GTR all the way.

JDM Honda Prelude Type S

Old 09-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #128
Dented200sx
AF Newbie

Unhappy Serious Problems!!!

OK first i found this board while looking for info on older cars, there is a lot of peeps here who can help me, its cool like that.

I started reading this thread half an hour ago, and now i can't even recall what it was about, but i know it wasn't " let's see who can talk the most smack about other car companies"

So far i've heard talk of honda motors (b16's, b18's, f20's,cl V-6's NSX V-6's and i think a d-series somewhere) and nissan motors (ca18e, ca18de, ca18det, sr20de, sr20det,sr20dett, sr20ve sr216ve, Altty 3.5's and Maxy 3.5's even rb26dett's) You all have talked about HP, BHP, CrankHP, WheelHP, Torque prodution motors, race motors, custom motors, ?MOTORCYCLE motors?, NZ drivers, NZ cars mods teams... ARE YOU GETTING THE PICTURE??? :apoke: THE forem finihed on the first page when Morpheus XIII said in the second replay, "Actually, the B16 would win either stock or with equal simple bolt-on modifications." Which is correct, the B16 will beat a sr20de hands down, the only chance other wise is driver error. After that it just became a shouting fest with only one person talking from actual DRIVING experiance.

SO HEres an Idea, stick to personal experiances and stop BAG'N ON others ideas.
Been arond the world... seen a lot of cars in a lot of situations, drag, mountains, tracks, streets... i've learned 2 things, "No replacement for displacement" and, "the driver wins races, not the car" !!!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:56 AM   #129
street_racer_00
AF Fanatic

I rode in a friend's acura integra with a B-16A j-spec motor in it. Nothing special, low 15's at best, and he had DC headers, CAI, exhaust, LSD, type R cams and tranny. So I would have to go with the SR-20 on this one, way more torque down low, and that's what dragging comes down to, torque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiesMan
I got to see boobiues!
Old 10-07-2002, 08:51 AM   #130
NissanADDICT
AF Newbie

B16 vs SR20....hmmm... from experience I've beaten many a B16 powered civic with a SR20 B13 Sentra , on and off the track. The Honda makes up good ground halfway down the strip but the SR20 pulls like mad straight off and continues to put down power right through...no ifs, ands or buts. Interestingly.. my GA16 powered Sentra SS with 5 fwd and intake and exhaust mods pulls even with an Sir Civic.
This motor has Nissan's NVC system which really wakes up at 4500 rpm and pulls strongly to redline. Most people have trouble believing this is a stock non-VVL motor. Just some food for thought.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:17 AM   #131
91HBSi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 91HBSi Send a message via AIM to 91HBSi Send a message via Yahoo to 91HBSi
I love Honda and I love my car. I'm going to soon have a B16a in my hatch. But as soon as I get the cash, i'm getting a '97 240 and dropping an SR20 in that hoe! I want to keep my civic though, we'll see how that turns out.

Former PureHonda.com member since Dec. 00

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Pilippians ONe21
Old 10-19-2002, 01:14 PM   #132
RollaCoupe
AF Newbie

This is not even a fair comparison. It's got to be a joke right? the sr20de is no match for the 2nd best 1.6 in the entire world.

b16a = extremely high-quality engine that will rev to 9000 STOCK
sr20de = cost cutting exercise for nissan because ca18 was too expensive to build, will never rev over 7500 without HEAVY valvetrain mods. comparatively low quality.

without a turbo the sr20 licks the sweat off a dead mans balls. and even with a turbo the fj20 or ca18 are better engines. they don't use rocker arms and can rev FAR more freely.

Trust me, a b16a can make well over 200hp with no turbo.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:47 AM   #133
jprimera
AF Enthusiast

there are all ready a few sr20des macking more than 200whp and 170+lbs torque over 6000 rpm and it will be much more cheeper to build this motor than the b16 series .........all this sr20s pass emitions.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:52 PM   #134
MIVEC
AF Newbie

To clear up a few things,
I think that a B16A would beat a SR20DE
but...
However it wouldnt beat Nissans flagship 1600cc which is the SR16VE.
A Nissan Pulsar VZ-R N1 with the NEO VVL SR16-VE Engine is faster throughout the rev range than Hondas flagship B16B Civic Type-R.
This is not just my opinion but that of Japans 'Best Motoring' Team which conducted a test proving so.
This is to be expected when it produces 15 BHP and a massive 18 ft/lb (for the size of the engine) of Torque.
A piece of by the way information is that if you fit the head off the VZ-R N1 to the SR20VE engine block, its output increases from 190 Ps to 235 Ps.
For those who want to know more than just the VZ-R figures. I have both a VZ-R and a VZ-R N1 and the engine works in three stages where intake valves and exhaust valve open at various stages but the final stage occurs at 6,800 RPM, this is when you really begin to feel the power, where the exhaust valves open into fast mode with the already fast mode opened intake valves. The effect of this is a complete change in the exhaust note if you have an aftermarket system, its amazing, you'd really have to hear it.
The VZ-R N1 is very highly tuned and idles at 1,500 RPM, it is very torquey at low rpm, very high BHP at high rpm but it feels as though it is lacking slightly in the mid-range. I proberly wouldnt notice this only for the fact that the low and high end are so extreme.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:22 PM   #135
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by MIVEC

The VZ-R N1 is very highly tuned and idles at 1,500 RPM, it is very torquey at low rpm, very high BHP at high rpm but it feels as though it is lacking slightly in the mid-range. I proberly wouldnt notice this only for the fact that the low and high end are so extreme.

THANK YOU!!!!!
That is exactly what I have been saying!
The N1 might make more hp than a B16b, but then it is tuned to a much higher degree, and is built with one purpose in mind.
Track racing. With an idle of 1,500rpm it is clearly not intended as a street engine, the car is made to compete in the N1 class in Japan.
Its clearly a great engine.

Unforunatly it dosnt mean its a better engine than either the B16a or the B16b.
Infact it shows its not nearly as good an engine.
A B16a or b can easily be tuned to 200hp, (give me NZ$5g and Ill do it in an afternoon) and it will still idle comfterbly at 700rpm, and it will not miss any mid range or low end power.

MIVEC as one of the more rational and educated contributors to this thread you may find this one quite interesting: http://pub143.ezboard.com/fnzprimera...picID=64.topic you will have to sign up and log in, but thats no big deal, and it well worth it.

And from your username I take it you used to own or still own an FTO??
I would be very interested in how you think the MIVEC compares with VTEC and VVL. From my experiance on the road its not nearly as good as either.

and for those who think getting 200hp from an SR20de is easy read this:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthrea...threadid=30813

My whole car cost less than the parts list for 200hp at the wheels. And I could have bought a Type R civic for the total cost of the engine with the NOS ready bits in it. And then most ppl would still have to pay for labour to get it assembled, and the extensive head work done.