Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:59 AM   #31
Hiroboy
www.hiroboy.com vendor

Send a message via ICQ to Hiroboy Send a message via AIM to Hiroboy Send a message via Yahoo to Hiroboy Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroboy
Re: In Progress - Tamiya Ducati Desmosedici

Damn, your working quick on this, looks really good.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:19 AM   #32
91p10nizmo
AF Enthusiast

Yes its comming along very nicley.
91p10nizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 AM   #33
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkobin
Primer is essential to see even the most minute of mistakes. However some people can just spot them without primer, they are lucky because 9 out of 10 times I can't!!! Primer is my friend and confidant!!!
Agreed, but a simple guide coat during the sanding/polishing prep stage can help you find any problems.

hth,
Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 05:38 AM   #34
bvia
AF Enthusiast

As always, YMMV and you should do what you are comfortable with. You mentioned etching primer, that is what the TS-49 sprayed on bare plastic does. It etches into the surface making for an incredible strong bond. Not using primer also removes one stumbling block that 1:1 painters do not face and that is the ability to tint the primer for the color coat. Rarely if ever would a 1:1 painter use a white primer for a red car...or a black car...or a silver car...etc., yet most modelers using hobby primers do just that.

To each his own...;-)>

oh, and good work on this one so far!

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 05:56 AM   #35
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Bill,

I do agree that 1:1 painters do tint primer. They use a metal etch primer first, and then say for a yellow, they’d perhaps mix an off white, like cream primer. I did this for my Pennzoil Skyline, but I had to spray the primer though my airbrush, it was messy, but when used with TS-47 Chrome Yellow, the result was very good.

Like Reds, they’d use a pink primer and so on and so on. I was intrigued with your idea of TS paints etching into the plastic, and it’s something I’m going to test, as I’ve got a scrap body lying around. It’s on my to do list.

As you say though, it’s really down to what everyone feels comfortable with. Anyhow, I’ll be posting more updates soon, as I’ve now started to Alclad many of the mechanical parts, and I’ve now completed building that chain. Took ages, but looks nice. Pictures coming soon. LOL
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #36
mickbench
AF Fanatic

More progress on the ducati.

I’ve gone overkill with Alclad II. Got me a compressor now, so I’ve got bags of air, always had a load of hot air, but now I’ve not some compressed air I can use for my airbrush. Spraying Alclad II with air cans always was a bit like taking a 20lb hammer to tune a piano. But now, I can control the air pressure, and do some fancy tricks.

The engine block I applied the white metal Alclad II at 20psi, over a black I’d sprayed that was sprayed at 30 psi from a distance. It has made it look like real cast metal, whereas the exhaust systems are sprayed with a darker aluminum, and the front brakes magnesium. The rest is painted with standard Alclad II aluminum.

Picture doesn’t really do it any justice. Trying to take a picture at this time of night, with my camera, is like hoping to have a million bucks drop from the sky – it isn’t going to happen. Shame really. Anyhow, it looks good by eye, so I’m happy with it. Be fine once I’ve washed and detailed.

Also assembled all the P/E. I really should have studied how to assemble the chain better. I did OK, but it’s never going to win an award. I lost far too many links as they went pinging around the room. After I’d built one side, I was worried I’d not have enough. I lost that many. Then I realised, something I’d read about cutting P/E in bags. Yep, after that I lost no more, but the damage had been done. I was short by about five links. So sadly I’ve had to, again fix a botch and space the links in a few places. It’s really hard to see, but next time I’ll cut the P/E in bags to prevent the massive loss of parts. Doh.

The front brake disc inserts will be painted. The chain is only going to get a wash.

And another shot of the body panels. Shows the red a little better this time.

That’s all.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #37
generationx
AF Enthusiast

This is a proper "In Progress" thread, i.e. lots of Progress!

Looks excellent, looking forward to the end result.
generationx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #38
Sennake
AF Enthusiast

Very cool progress!

I built this bike myself to be the subject of a modeling article, but the least I can do is show you a few teaser pics, maybe they can inspire you?

* WWW.SENNAKE.BE *
Sennake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #39
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Sennake,

Your ducati is simply breath taking. Looking at yours has made me realise just how crap my P/E chain now actually is. Oh well, live and learn and I’ll get it better next time I build a P/E chain. Just wish I’d known the cutting P/E in a bag trick before I’d lost so many links, meaning I was left short, as if you look closely you can just make out that in some areas I’ve spaced my links a little too far apart.

What did you use for the clear piping? I’m currently looking for something myself to do just what you’ve done. MFH..?

And your radiator mesh looks great, I never get a P/E part for mine, as my P/E set didn’t have it included, sadly.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #40
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Small update tonight.

I’ve got the front forks all painted and built. Well, the only thing I painted was the silver part, painted with white metal Alclad II. The fork upgrade set from Tamiya is expensive, but it looks nice.

I’ve also detailed a few mechanical parts. Painted clear red over the radiator hoses. Need to cut some small strips of BMF to make hose clamps.

I’ve also airbrush the wheels X1 Gloss black, and painted the air valve silver, with a flat black cap. And the front P/E discs have been coated with Tamiya metal primer, allowed to dry and then painted twice with my airbrush a mix of X18 /X11 ratio 9:1. The bolts were picked out with silver.

It looks a little gunmetal in the picture, but its actually a lot darker, as I was loathed to paint those P/E parts as they looked so nice in bare metal but I had to, and so tired hard to maintain a metal ish look. That’s all, and if I’m not getting this right, bare in mind it is my first bike, so it might not be technically accurate. LOL

Old 05-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #41
americas911
AF Newbie

Hey guy, loving the bike. Got min edone a month or so again. Just 1 thing I want to point out is that the hoses are red, not a red over silver. They are red silicone hoses (spelling?), not anodized hose fitting, but Im sure you know what I mean.

Thanx
Doug
americas911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #42
Sennake
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbench
What did you use for the clear piping?
That's just some plain fishing wire, I have them in a few different thickness...

Quote:
And your radiator mesh looks great, I never get a P/E part for mine, as my P/E set didn’t have it included, sadly.
I think it's the only way to avoid the sinkmarks of the original radiator, because I don't see how I could fill them up and reconstruct the shape of the radiator mesh otherwise...

* WWW.SENNAKE.BE *
Sennake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #43
Raikkobin
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennake
Very cool progress!

I built this bike myself to be the subject of a modeling article, but the least I can do is show you a few teaser pics, maybe they can inspire you?

Holy crud, makes my desmo look like a pile of poop!!!
Raikkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #44
Nobbys Nuts
AF Regular

Hi Mick;
You will find some hoseclamps on your CM photo etch set between the exhaust mounting brackets #18 and part #19. The chain is a Bi.ch first time isn't it.
Cheers
Tony

Quote:
Small update tonight.
I’ve also detailed a few mechanical parts. Painted clear red over the radiator hoses. Need to cut some small strips of BMF to make hose clamps.
Nobbys Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #45
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Nobby,

Of cause, I wondered what those where… Doh. How obvious that was. I don’t know. Sometimes, you can see the forest for trees. And yep, that chain was a right PTIA. But I’ve learnt, and I’ll do better next time. Thanks for the VERY useful pointers.

More updates tonight. I’ve painted the calipers and some part to the engine Alclad II burnt metal, and for the calipers I flowed some watered down red paint in the brembo letters. Just washed the excess off once it was dried, just basically test fitted to the front forks.

I’ve built the suspension, painted it with Alclad white metal, and detailed with the Tamiya upgrade set. I’ve also built the front brakes now, detailed and lightly washed, and I’ve washed the chain. I then dry brushed X11 over the whole thing. Hasn’t come out too bad actually. Could have been better, but could have been worse.

I’ve also sanded the tyres with 300, then 400 and then finally with 600 grit paper to remove the very obvious mould line. And then installed to the wheel rim and that’s it for today. I hope to start the body panel decals soon, as I’ve just got to paint the insides black..

Oh, and look at this for a scrap pile. This is all the kit I won’t be needing due to upgrades, and P/E. Thanks for the comments, more to come yet.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes