Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
amberex
AF Newbie

2005 ex gas wont start HELP!!!

i bought a wrecked 05 ex. it started and ran fine. but battery was no good. so i took it out and put a different one in it. but it was not all the way charged so i put a jump starter on it. it did not start. put a new battery in it. and still will not start. so i hook up a big jump strater charger on it. still will not start. does not go threw its check when you turn the key on. nothing on dash works exept the radio.

it will turn over but never starts. check all fuzes and all that i can find are good. so i took the pcm out. and said what the hell, tried to start it, did the same thing as when the pcm was in it. thought it had to be the pcm so got a new know good one. and it does the same thing. so now im lost i have no idea what is wrong with it. i have to be missing something. did you check the fuel pump shut off switch located behind the passenger kick panel? yep checked that it was fine.

checked all grounds there all good. I need help if there is anyone that could help me i would greatly appreciate it. im using the 2 factory keys. key pad and remotes work. checked all fuses i know of, even the in line fuses and all good. hard to check spark!!!! no spark plugs!!!!
yes i can hear the fuel pump. but i would put good money on i have NO spark. when it does the same thing whether i have the pcm hooked up or not!!!!
amberex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
KimMG
AF - Advisor

Re: 2005 ex gas wont start HELP!!!

Time to get out the wiring diagram and a test light and see if power is going to where it should be going. How did you check the fuses and fusible links? Did you use a meter or a test light?
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
amberex
AF Newbie

i used a test light to to check the fuses.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:00 AM   #4
KimMG
AF - Advisor

Check the inputs and outputs on the ignition switch.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
amberex
AF Newbie

How do i do that?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:03 AM   #6
KimMG
AF - Advisor

You will need a test light or meter and a wiring diagram. Look at the wiring diagram and determine which wires supply power to the switch and what what wires are energized when the switch is in various positions. Look for corroded plugs/connections.
If it is a problem with the security system (vehicle doesn't recognize your key), you will probably have to take it to the dealer. Don't know what happens if you try to use a key that is not programmed for your vehicle.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
carlos80
AF Regular

you mentioned that nothing on the dash works, if the instrument cluster is not getting power or grounds and does not turn on then the vehicle will not start. in order for it to start both the pcm and cluster must work properly get a good wiring diagram remove the cluster and check the grounds and powers you can do this with a test light if you wish, however a meter will give you actual voltage readings.
carlos80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
amberex
AF Newbie

Thank you i will try both of those and let you know how is works. I appreciate all the help
Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #9
amberex
AF Newbie

ok as far as i can tell the connections to cluster and ingition switch are fine, as far as the light. I get a battery light on the dash, brake lights and headlights work, if that means anything.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
amberex
AF Newbie

some lights lite up BUT no gauges, when it was working the dials would go to full then drop down to where they are suppose to, but the gauges do nothing. i know the truck has gas but the gauge shows nothing, air bag lite comes on, no rpms on gauge while cranking (trying to start).
Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #11
carlos80
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberex
some lights lite up BUT no gauges, when it was working the dials would go to full then drop down to where they are suppose to, but the gauges do nothing. i know the truck has gas but the gauge shows nothing, air bag lite comes on, no rpms on gauge while cranking (trying to start).
well if the powers and grounds are good that only leaves two things either the cluster s no good or the network which connects the pcm to the IC is not operating properly basically what this means is that it's dealer time they can perform a network test and a self test on the IC
carlos80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
amberex
AF Newbie

thanks for all your help. We are taking it in on thursday.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
yotermanic
AF Regular

I pulled all my hair out on one that did exactly that, it was a 2005, but it was and F-250 (same platform, so I'm gonna interject my two cents). There were actually three. On the first two, it was a loose grownd to the cowl panel, but they were no crank/no starts. The third was the stepper motor on the back that I cannot remember the name of now. It acts as an IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control) but it has a new and improved name on the tritons. It bolts to the back of the intake manifold and has two metal rods going to flapper valves. Try unplugging this (it is a pain in the rear to get to) and see if it starts, this one blew the fuel injection fuse sometimes but usually just didn't start without blowing fuses. Anyhow, let us know what it ends up being!
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Excursion