Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 07:44 PM   #1
ricodemus
AF Regular

b16a1 throttle

Well, I got to take a look at my gen 1 b16 today and it looks sweet. One thing that looks weird to the guys putting it in is the throttle looks like it is wide open compared to his gen 2 b16. I think the throttle cable pulls from the other side(?) but it still looked funny. I'm not very knowledgeable in this department, these guys know a good deal. I was wondering if any of you b16a1-ers could take a pic or two of your throttle linkage so I could caompare. I didnt think of taking a close up pic (stupid) but my pic of the whole engine may be useful because of the resolution of my digi cam may allow a somewhat clear pic of it. I'll try to get a pic up tomorrow. Are there any other throttlebodies to source this part from if I need a new one? They were thinking the linkage from my d16a6 may work? Any info is appreciated.

The b16 is in and running strong
ricodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
ricodemus
AF Regular

..and is that throttle linkage (the little arm that the throttle cable connects to) part of the throttle body, or is a completely different part?

Old 04-06-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
ricodemus
AF Regular

well, it kinda worked . here is the pic anyway. It seems the linkage should be farther to the right.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/up...06throttle.jpg

Old 04-06-2002, 07:33 PM   #4
Setanta
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Setanta Send a message via AIM to Setanta Send a message via Yahoo to Setanta
It looks the same as mine

FYI, I'm having to replace my throttle body and the 1st gen B16A throttle is very different to the later model ones. You can't interchange them unfortunately. You can use the ones from the 2nd gen JDM 'teg with B16A though.

www.performanceforums.com
Setanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
ricodemus
AF Regular

I figured they werent the same. But is that little linkage on the throttle body? like...if you ordered the throttle body, owuld you get that linkage?

Old 04-07-2002, 12:35 AM   #6
Setanta
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Setanta Send a message via AIM to Setanta Send a message via Yahoo to Setanta
From experience, second hand,yes you would. I don't know about brand new though. moppie would be able to find out I guess.

www.performanceforums.com
Setanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:53 AM   #7
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
I would assume the linkage or lever come with the TB.
hwoever if it didnt I think its only help on by a single nut on the end, and could esialy be swaped over.

Remeber it does very little, but transfer the liner movement of the throttle cable in to a rotational movent for the throttle plate.
You could have anything you wanted on even a long metal pole that reached into the car to be used as a hand control. Just as long as it opens can closes the plate it dosnt matter what it is.
The Vacume pot above it is only there to stop the TB slaming shut to quickly, you can remove it with no ill effects to the engines performance, but I dont think its very good for the TB.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:24 PM   #8
jeffie7
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to jeffie7 Send a message via AIM to jeffie7
hey dude check out

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/jeffiesp...nda/honda.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ky/jeffiesp...da/honda2.html

Im pretty sure theres some pictures of my intake there was a custom made bracket so the throttle cable would fit right
if you can't see it in any of the pictures e-mail me at jeffie7@hotmail.com and I will send you a close up picture

Jeff
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:53 AM   #9
ricodemus
AF Regular

looks nice...but that is a b16a2, right? I think what we were saying is that the b16a1 is different and my problem is not the throttle cable, but the fact that my throttle may be stuck open. I guess I wont know until the engine fires up, and I pray that it is not revving cuz the throttle is stuck open. Just in case, Moppie - do you have access to the throttle body? If so, could you check the price for me? Thanks a lot.

Old 04-10-2002, 08:02 AM   #10
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
What you are suppose to do is swap out the old throttle cable for a 90-93 teg one. U just modified mine. I used the stock brackets and cut the windings back in the cable that way it extends out more. I did the same for my clutch cable. it wasn't too hard just make sure you measure it right and cut TOO MUCH off cuz then your are so screwed. Also the throttle arm and plate will come with the throttle body. Everything you see connected to the TB will come with it if you buy it from honda. I know people who had to buy new TB because the TPS was bad and you can't buy it just by itself but you gotta buy the whole thing. bad mistake Honda made but I guess they are just trying to make some money. SKaNLeZ BaSTaRDs!!
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:28 AM   #11
ricodemus
AF Regular

yeah, I picked up the teg throttle cable. damn I hope this works, can't afford much downtime. pics next week hopefully.

Old 04-10-2002, 06:10 PM   #12
jeffie7
AF Enthusiast

mine is a B16A1 and you can use your old civic TB but its a good bit smaller then the B16A1s right now Im running a 62MM throttle body

if I was you and you were worried about starting it up and it reving just onhook the throttle cable and look at the butterfly in the throttle is it open or closed? for the time being you can just leave the cable off and start it up and use your hand to give it gas "not driving" but to start it up for the first time

also you might want to leave and have a firend start it up for you becuase you don't wan't to see whats gonna come out your exhaust when you first start it up.... NASTY

btw almost EVERYTHING on my engine was broke from the bent throttle body to the dist/coil/knock/TPS the list goes on and on.... JDM motors really are a pain

what ECU are you using? and what trans?

Jeff
Old 04-10-2002, 08:10 PM   #13
ricodemus
AF Regular

damn, I forgot to look at what ecu they sent me. I was supposed to get the y1 tranny (I barely looked at the engine, i may have to go back over there to look). I guess I was just to excited just to SEE it. I'm figuring I did get the y1, because there definitely is a lsd on it. Where'd you get the TB from? And what engine did you order it for? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:37 PM   #14
jeffie7
AF Enthusiast

my engine came from Fred Ellis he has a guy up north from us "not sure where" that he gets his engines from the trans Im using is a LS trans
Im pretty sure the Y1 trans was like 95% of the time non LSD and if it is alot of people swap them out before selling them because they know they are worth alot

my throttle body is a BBK its made for Im not sure what kinda car I bought it used for 150 bucks from a guy who also deals with Fred alot

next things on my list to buy is new rad stock ones sooooo small AC Bracket so I can put the AC back in and then headgasket/draggen 3 turbo kit

4000 grand later.... =)

Jeff
Old 04-12-2002, 07:01 AM   #15
ricodemus
AF Regular

well, I got to look at the engine again, and the throttle is still a little weird, but ok. I did get the y1 tranny. Thanks for the info guys.