Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 08:06 AM   #1
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

Fuggi's Experiment - STAGE 1

the time has come. i have found a friend who is very knowledgable in swapping motors. so he will help me. stage 1 is brainstorming.

my plan: swap a b18c1 into a 95 civic ex coupe, and turbo it!

i want a daily driver that is fucking quick, reliable, and can handle some boost. 6psi on stock internals is safe right? well... i want to safely be able to run at LEAST 15psi. also, on the street i want to run low boost, and at the track be able to turn it up. and safely!

what internals are needed to be upgraded? i need serious DETAILS, please dont say pistons, valves etc etc.

i want to upgrade absolutly everything. cams, pistons, valves, electronics, etc etc everything. and i don't know about it all so i need technical advise.

i also would like to know brands. like, for example, the best cams for turbo, best everything for turbo.

also, when i go and shop for parts, what car should i shop for when i'm doing engine stuff? 3rd gen teg gsr right? but things like CAI.. what would fit into my civic's fenderwall, but still go to the intake manifold.

now , say i install all those turbo parts. lower compression, turbo cams, all that good stuff - will me car be slower without turbo? because i dont plan to get the turbo on right away either.

and with such low compression - wont i need lower octane gas? because i know you need high octane with high compression.

also, will it be possible to keep my air conditioning and power steering? i'd like to if possible. i'm just comfortable with them.

my car is basically all done with the SHOW stage (racing seats soon though), and my current GO mods aren't doing a good job at holding me over anymore. so now its time to turn over a beast. dohc tuboed POWER.

so any reccommendations on anything. parts, kits, custom shit, electronics etc etc.

so please if you are able to take 5 minutes and just help me out, i'd be grateful. thanks in advance guys.

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
j.fuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Artifex
AF Newbie

Exclamation dude

At the risk of soundling like a broken record around here, you must understand this:
Buy Corky Bell's Turbocharged! book.
You can buy it from Amazon, and their price is good, and they ship fast.

There is no substitute. You want to know what to do, then read it. Not just the first 10 pages either, and then post here and ask everyone to tell you what is in the last 190 pages (not trying to be a dick here, but there are some lazy people posting on this board ). Buy it and read it cover to cover. After you are done with that, read it a second time .

When you are done, you will know exactly what you have to do.

You can ask here when you are done for answers about nit-picky types of shit.

Good luck and let us know your progress.
Artifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 02:09 PM   #3
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

thanks man... i'm sure its been asked before. but i'm so new to it all and everything that i don't know where to start. i'll check out that book though. and i'm sure i'll be back for questioning.

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
j.fuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:55 AM   #4
PoweredByRice_619
AF Newbie

yeah buy that book, its called maximum boost.. great bathroom reading!

it will tell you everything you need to know!
PoweredByRice_619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 09:57 PM   #5
CivicEx95
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to CivicEx95 Send a message via AIM to CivicEx95
Re: Fuggi's Experiment - STAGE 1

Where you getting the engine from? I think that'll be the hardest part, at least it is for me so far.
CivicEx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
Phr0st
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Phr0st
Hey John,

I've got a question. if you want to turbo the car, why not go ahead and do a frankenstein engine instead of the B18C1? From what I hear, the b20B block with a b16A head (CRVtech) creates an all motor monster (190-225 hp with up to 150 ft-lb of torque) with relatively low compression, so it would handle the turbo better (some correct me if I'm way off base). In addition it's going to be reasonably priced in comparison to the B18C1, and you can get a very reliable engine with more HP, More Torque, and lower compression for your turbo for less money. The only downside is there's alot of work involved (and that's only a downside if you're not a mechanic at heart)

I personally don't see why more people don't do this swap. It's what I'm planning on doing and would've alread done if I hadn't wasted almost a grand on I/H/E. Alot of people say that if they wanted this engine combo honda would've made it, and that engine design is best left up to honda not some punk wrencher with too much time on his hands. But I say honda hasn't done it because there isn't a market for it. The B16A/B18C/K20C are suiting domestic and Foreign honda drivers just fine, plus they still have the fuel effeciency to appeal to the "grocery getter" market..

I kinda jumped on the ls/vtech-Crv-tech bandwagon after I read a very good article about it in the latest honda tuner magazine, you might wanna check that out.

Just my .02