Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #46
MYHELIGUY
AF Newbie

Re: No Oil Pressure

Finally today, i got the oil pump removed. gee,quite a little work. Removing the bracket that mounts the a/c compressor is actually the motor mount also,had to remove the radiator fan unit also to get room for wrench movement.
After getting the oil pump off, as i was removing it, there was no oil running out, the pump was empty of oil, very little at all,even once i had oil pump off,it was empty ,so the pump must have lost its prime.the pump looks like new,no wear at all. I placed a wrench carefully on the pump drive shaft sticking out and made sure it was solid and not lose.it was solid.

Wonder how can a oil pump lose it prime ? anyone with ideas ? THANKS
Where is the pressure valve located ?

Last edited by MYHELIGUY; 07-13-2009 at 10:46 PM.
MYHELIGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #47
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Isn't there a plugged hole in the oil pump mounting surface (on the front cover)?
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #48
MYHELIGUY
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: No Oil Pressure

The pressure relief valve must be in the front cover where its not visual .
couldn't find it.so, today, took and packed the oil pump full of vaseline and mounted it on engine,added the oil, started engine for only about one minute, no oil pressure,lite on dash is on ,and engine rattling from no oil,shut it off. took oil filter off and it was still the same amount of oil as i put in it when installed just before starting, the vaseline is alittle in the very top of filter.
i couldn't get anything down the oil pickup tube,before installing pump. but, i think its possibly the drive gear thats inside the timing cover(camshaft synchronizer), which will require engine removal is the problem. its been a very tight working area all around in there.Any ideas ?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #49
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Assuming you are working on a 3.8, (I've forgotten) you can remove the cam synchronizer (be sure to mark everything ... take photos...etc, etc ...or you will have to re-synch on your own). Along with the synchro, there should be a hex drive shaft on the bottom end ... that goes down to the oil pump. This shaft should come up with the synchro as you remove it. In fact, you should be able to see this shaft now that the oil pump is removed ...??

With a 2 foot long piece of hex stock the same size as the oil pump drive shaft ... you can drive the pump with an electric drill (It goes CCW).

I do not understand why you can't see the pressure relief valve. I posted photos of this ... but very long ago. I'm sure the photos have now expired.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #50
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Yep, the photo has expired ... but if you want to read the accompanying jabber, look on page #1 of:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...t=synchronizer
Old 07-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #51
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

This is an effort to show oil pump kit as sold by RockAuto:

The three parts at the bottom make up the oil pressure relief valve .. and are poked into a hole in the front cover.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #52
MYHELIGUY
AF Newbie

Is it possible to bring back these photos ? it will be greatly appreciated.
Where in the world will i find a hex shaped 2 feet long rod ? thats proably metric also.
if i mark the synchronizer and on the front cover, the position, then remove synchronizer,put it back the same with aligning marks ?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #53
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Yes, if you mark everything about the synchronizer before you remove it ... and never move the crankshaft during the whole procedure ... you should be just fine.

You don't have to have 2 foot stock hex stock ... that's just the way I did it. You could instead, use the existing pump shaft and drive it with a socket and socket extension tool. BTW, do you see the existing shaft?

Since you are saying there was no oil in your pump ... I am more worried about why you could not get "anything" down the pickup tube. ?? Nothing? I would be removing pan if necessary to resolve this question.

I don't think I kept the images of the front cover ... but why not visit the dealer for a look at new one. Is there any chance someone earlier messed with the front cover ... removed the Pressure relief valve? (Though not have a relief valve would NOT cause the pump to be dry. It would pump like crazy ... but directy back to the pan.)
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #54
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Ounce View Post
... but why not visit the dealer for a look at new one.
OOPS! Wrong! I forgot the dealer only sells the front cover with oil pump attached ... looking at this will not get you much info.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #55
MYHELIGUY
AF Newbie

Next step i will try is to remove the camshaft synchronizer and try to drive the oil pump with a drill(in reverse=ccw) by connecting to the shaft as you mention,this actually is an easier procedure than removing the oil pan . if the oil pump doesn't pump oil threw the engine,where i can see the oil squirting out the top of the rocker arm by looking in the oil cap filler hole in the vavle cover,then i will remove the oil pan.
Is there any kind of shear pins in this camshaft synchronizer ?
THANKS
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 AM   #56
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

What I would do is loosen the oil filter until the pump primes ... then you know you have oil flow up to that point. After that, I think you can assume the oil is flowing up thru the engine. But don't expect to get the delivery rate that the engine running will get.

I still am concerned with that pick-up tube.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #57
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

http://www.autopart.com/tools/toolsmain/tool/T_2103.htm Also search 2102 and 2001.
Most auto machine shops will sell these.
I think the strainer and pickup tube weren't cleaned properly by the mechanic. Most shops give at least 90 days so I would try to get it fixed free. He may charge you for a new pump.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #58
MYHELIGUY
AF Newbie

Today i removed the camshaft synchronizer, visually i see nothing wrong with it.so, i checked online for the oil pump primer tool,thats the next step, is to hook-up this tool and see if the oil pump will prime and pump oil.
so, i must wait to receive this tool to continue on with what the problem is with no oil pressure.

Last edited by MYHELIGUY; 07-20-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #59
MYHELIGUY
AF Newbie

Bought a oil pump at advance auto parts, melling brand, comes with the pressure valve,spring, and steel cap,the instructions are with this,and it shows that to replace the pressure valve you must remove the front cover,the cap is in the mounting engine side surface of the front cover,gee to remove the front cover you must remove the engine,i even tried to remove the water pump=no way theres not even clearance the get the water pump off the studs,hits the frame of vehicle.so, i'm hoping that the pressure valve is ok,and needs no replacement.
Tomorrow, i will install this new oil pump,packing it full with vaseline,and see if theres any oil pressure. i'll post back. Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #60
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Unbelievable! That I don't remember it that way, that is. There ain't nothing better than getting old ... but it has its drawbacks.

The water pump and front cover can be removed with engine in place ... not easy ... (I had almost as soon remove the engine). Many have done it ... you should find something on this by seaching.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar