Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
View Poll Results: Which Swap would you pick?
VG30DETT 14 46.67%
RB25DET 3 10.00%
RB26DETT 6 20.00%
Other Engine (other than stock) 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Poll: The Ultimate Engine Swap!

So what will it be, kiddies? Assume you have an NA Z32 (or you wanna swap out your VG30DETT, TT-GuyZ!): Would you want a VG30DETT, RB25DET, or RB26DETT or other? If you have a TT already: RB25DET, RB26DETT, other.

Lots of feedback as to why you would pick that specific engine!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
Old 07-08-2004, 06:31 PM   #2
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

people might hate me for it, but how about z33's tt engine (assuming they ever release a twin turbo)? Skyline engines might be hard to get or costly or not a lot power of improvement (exception of R34 engine) for the Z32.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
ZedEx
GO-FIGHT-KILL!

Send a message via AIM to ZedEx
Re: Poll: The Ultimate Engine Swap!

What the fuck are you talking about?

"Skyline engines might be hard to get or costly or not a lot power of improvements (exception of R34 engine) for the Z32"

What does that supposed to mean?

R34 Skyline engines range from the RB25E engine, to RB26DETT engine. R32 RB26's, and R34 produce the same amount of power.

1viadrft. Stick with the RB25DET idea. I like it.

My Powertrain Swap : VH45DES into an R33 GTS.

(4.5liter V8 Supercharged ) I've seen it done... But it wouldnt be easy.

-Wes
-2000 PY Acura Integra Type-R #686 - WhoRe
-1997 EGP Honda Prelude Type-SH - Daily driver

R.I.P Hypsi87:Andy Filson
Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #4
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i would definitely go with the vg30dett. i rather have a v- configuration than a i- configuration. also, a 300zx has a vg in it and that is what is supposed to be in there. it isn't a z anymore without the engine. that what makes most of the car is the engine. the rb is a good engine, but keep those with skylines and keep vg's with 300zx's.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 PM   #5
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Poll: The Ultimate Engine Swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain
What the fuck are you talking about?

"Skyline engines might be hard to get or costly or not a lot power of improvements (exception of R34 engine) for the Z32"

What does that supposed to mean?

R34 Skyline engines range from the RB25E engine, to RB26DETT engine. R32 RB26's, and R34 produce the same amount of power.

1viadrft. Stick with the RB25DET idea. I like it.

My Powertrain Swap : VH45DES into an R33 GTS.

(4.5liter V8 Supercharged ) I've seen it done... But it wouldnt be easy.

-Wes
ever, I dont give a damn about Skylines. They're over-hyped and too expensive anyway for what its worth. Rather wait a few years and get a 350Z swap. And V8 on the ZX, what're you smoking? I don't plan on bastardizing the ZX into pseudo-muscle car and adding more weight.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:05 AM   #6
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
I picked the RB26DETT. It would either be that or the 2JZ-GTE. Both have insane potential. I've seen over 800 HP on both without internal modifications. They're both waaaaaaaay over-engineered...they're both slightly detuned race engines.

As for the "bastardising" vg-rb thing....they're both Nissan...it's not THAT "bastardized". The small block chevy conversions that I've seen...now THAT'S sacrilage. But...if you want more power...put in an engine with more potential...the rb has far more potential than the VG (...don't argue...it does...think about how many 600...700...800hp RBs you've seen, then think about how many 600...700...800hp VGs you've seen...), therefor, for power, it makes sense...even the Chevy thing makes sense if you want more power, but THAT'S just TOO much for me...

Now...the Nissan V8 thing...if that's what you wanna do, go for it. At least it's not a Chevy. And It won't add a significant amount of weight, so don't say that as a negative...it's just stupid. *I* wouldn't do that. I don't like V8s, nor do I like superchargers. I can count on one hand how many V8s I like...of course, V8s have their own set of characteristics that some people prefer, but some of the fastest cars EVER produced were not V8s...all you need is 6. Either do 6 or go all out and get 10 or 12...don't pussy-foot around with 8. Also, more moving parts, usually inferior milage and efficiency.....plus, I just can't shake that "domestic" image they carry along with them.

Superchargers are more difficult to adjust and modify than turbos. All you have to do to turn up the boost on a turbo is buy a boost controller and turn a knob...from the driver's seat, even. To up the boost from a supercharger, you have to swap out pullies and mess with belts and so on...I'll pass.

Inline...think about it...what's more balanced...pistons pounding away from each other in opposite directions or pistons all lined up firing in the same direction. I'd think this would be easier on the internals than the "opposite direction war"...I pity the poor crank in the V6 as I watch the rpms scream up towards 5000 rpms and the pistons battle to fly in opposite directions...but I don't know if it makes ALL that much of a diff.

RB26DETT or 2JZ-GTE any day...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-09-2004, 12:26 AM   #7
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ

As for the "bastardising" vg-rb thing....they're both Nissan...it's not THAT "bastardized". The small block chevy conversions that I've seen...now THAT'S sacrilage. But...if you want more power...put in an engine with more potential...the rb has far more potential than the VG (...don't argue...it does...think about how many 600...700...800hp RBs you've seen, then think about how many 600...700...800hp VGs you've seen...), therefor, for power, it makes sense...even the Chevy thing makes sense if you want more power, but THAT'S just TOO much for me...
I was referring to people who took American muscle car V8 engines and dropped it into the ZX. Eitherway, I am more about getting the most from smaller engines.

Sidenote: I know a few people who were able to get 20-22 gallons out of their V8 '00 Mustangs.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 AM   #8
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

i can't believe this, most of the people here call themselves z enthusiasts even though they perfer a different engine than the one in the z. c'mon now, it isn't a z without the vg, and yet most of you want ruin the z by rather having an rb (or any other engine in that matter) even though you all love the z so much. yeah, you can get more power out of an rb, but i don't care, it isn't a z anymore. you might as well like the ls1, it can make gobs of power, but wait, it is domestic, so it isn't a 300zx, well, the rb isn't 300zx so that just doesn't comprehend.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 07-09-2004, 12:56 AM   #9
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Believe me...I'm much more into 6 cylinders than anything else.

I see these massively powerful 2L engines and it's awesome...it goes to show how far technology has come.

6 cylinders is the perfect compromise between efficiency and torque as far as I'm concerned. Of course, there are always exceptions, but, in general, v6s aren't like a tiny 4 cyl that has to hit 7000 rpm before it starts going and it's not like a 5.7L pushrod V8 that looses torque and farts out at 4000 rpm. Nice smooth torque curve and power band with a decent redline. The best of both worlds.

I know some v8s get ok mileage...20-22 isn't ALL that great...I got over 30 all the way from northern Ky to West Palm Beach Florida, loaded to the brim with stuff and with the A/C on. I got that for over 1000 miles from a 3.0L engine that was nearly 20 years old and had no modifications. Now THAT'S pretty impressive. I've seen some turbo charged vetts that get 28 mpg or something, but those are quite rare...not to mention that the people driving them are trying VERY hard to stay out of the throttle in order to obtain those numbers.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 07-09-2004, 01:02 AM   #10
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

I think you're exaggerating here, "Liz," lol, since I was comparing these mustangs with 60s muscle car, which gets about 10 mpg on a good day I think. It's surprising that Z31 turbo gets that much mileage out of a gallon, in fact I am impressed. My non-turbo Z32 gets about 18 now. I live in South Florida as well.

Anyway Freak on a leash, the truth to the matter is, one day our beloved engine will die. So rather getting a heavily used Z32 engine, low mileage Z33 seems to be a better choice. But I rather stay away from the RBs or V8s.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:05 AM   #11
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

nooooo, the vg can't go away. if it does, i will take a heavily used one and rebuild it to where the only original thing is the block. i can see it now, like people restoring old cars today, i will be restoring z's. that is one of my biggest dreams, to own one of each model of the z car.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 07-09-2004, 02:11 AM   #12
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

I was actually amazed that my car was getting that mileage...that's why I kept rechecking it every time I got gas...every time I was pleasently surprised.

Freak...you're kinda missing my point...I'm not saying I don't like the VG series of engines...I love them...hell...I'VE OWNED 2! I'm not going to run to shove ANYTHING else in my engine bay...except a bigger turbo...

If you're going for huge numbers, it might be a wiser decision to swap in an RB than trying to get the power from a VG. It depends on your priorities...keeping the original type of engine or putting the most power you can into the platform of choice.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 AM   #13
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

just for future options, are these RBs abundant in the US, how much do they cost? My fairlady Z is almost 200K. Im kinda worried, let see how long it will last.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:38 AM   #14
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

I don't know exactly how much they go for, but I don't think they're cheap because of the demand for them.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:42 AM   #15
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
back to the main thread. it would have to be one of what your plans are for your car i think. never v8. thats just well ignorant to me. (personal opinion). if you want gobs of power my 2 choices would be vg30dett or rb26dett. well i am tryin to get the funds together to do the vgtt swap so u know which one i am routing for. but if i ever decide to start gettin into massive numbers i will prolly go with the rbtt because it is a "stronger" engine. an 800hp rb engine or an 800hp vg. u gotta think reliability? rb is 800hp on stock internals. imagine if u rebulit it from top to bottom. u could make it a daily driver with 800hp all rebuilt.

all in all...i would have to say vg30dett. that engine has way more potential than i need. me being only 18 driving on 2 speeding tickets. haha

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)