Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #61
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen
While I was surprised to have the intake leakage problem it has been a very reliable and quiet vehicle. It has had several recalls though. The worst was a possible fire problem with the rear blower. The item was replaced, but overheated anyway. I repaired it myself and it has been great since. I am (at this point) completely satisfied with the vehicle though. I wait until you stop gasping for air.

Why... modern vehicles are EXTREMELY complex machines. The consumer is expecting better cars and want to pay as little as possible for what they want. This simply isn't possible. My wife's van (yes, it's hers... I drive a F-350 7.2l diesel) has been an extremely good primary, trucking the family and stuff around, vehicle. It has 67k on it and still runs and looks great. One thing I have been sure to do is keep up with ALL the maintenance. Fluid, coolant, oil; you name it, it gets changed. The transmission is still great. Smooth shifts, quiet, no lags or slipping.

I am statisfied.
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #62
DRW1000
AF Enthusiast

Re: Codes 171 & 174 too lean

Pcitizen,

Excellent work! This will help even experienced wrench-turners.

Thank you!!!
DRW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:25 AM   #63
jdurrenberg
AF Newbie

I just went through this 171/174 problem. After the check engine light came on 3 weeks ago, I was getting only 171 and I cleared the code. It came back on last week and now was getting 171 and 174. Estimate from Ford dealer was $740. While checking this forum for DYI info I found that Ford was providing some assistance after warranty to correct this TSB 03-16-1 problem. I checked with the dealer and found the following: After-warranty adjustment was available up to 70,000 miles. My Windstar has 53,000 and is out of warranty. Ford covered 70% of the cost. The dealer applied the money I already paid for the diagnostics and I was out the door with another $140. I would have spent that much on parts to do it myself.
jdurrenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 08:41 AM   #64
dbogey
AF Newbie

Well I took the van to the stealer yesterday. I told him I had the P0171/0174 codes set. I showed him the TSB 03-16-01 and asked that if they came to the same diagonosis would it be covered under my extended powertrain warranty (that I had to buy because of a transmission failure at 40K miles). He confirmed it would and said that if that was the fix I would only own the $100 deductable on my warranty... Well I got a call last night that confirmed the TSB would be the fix and that I could pick up the van this morning... My total bill $100. At least now I feel like I'm getting something out of that transmission failure.

Oh and by the way, ever since they rebuilt the transmission, the van pulls to the left going down the highway. It's been "alligned" twice and still there is an anoying pull. I contend they bent something when replacing the transmission, but at this point it's impossible to argue. Lesson learn... don't ever except completion of major repairs until everything is just the way it aught to be.
dbogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:05 AM   #65
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Codes 171 & 174 too lean

Pcitizen, great work on the pictures and steps for the fix. One request though, your details and link are kind of buried in this thread way down on the 4th page. Could you post a new thread with your link and a descriptive title so it will stand out better for the many Windstar owners that come here looking for help on this issue? Thanks again for sharing this info.
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:52 AM   #66
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Windstar 171 & 174 Codes Remedy - Step by Step Repair (Almost)

Great idea lewisnc100. Part of the fun is reading all this to get to the good stuff... knowledge.

I have set up a cheesy web site that explains how to do the TSB repair discussed in this forum. Take it as it is. Cheesy-factor is pegged, but I think it will be helpful for some of you do-it-yourselfers.

Here's the URL.

http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM   #67
GITZY
AF Newbie

Lean 171 And 174

I Have Been Following This Thread And Have The Same
Problem And Going To Follow Your Instructions.i Have
One Question Does The Pcm Have To Be Re-programed
After Fix.

Thanks Gitzy
GITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #68
pcitizen
AF Newbie

I have read comments here that say no. I did not have mine reprogrammed. I would suspect the answer is, in fact, no. I cannot see how any of the new parts for this fix could alter the system to require programming adjustments. Ford has likely added this as a "to do" to merely update the systems with the latest changes.

Anyone... anyone... Bueller... Ferris Bueller.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #69
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

..That you, Ben?
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:50 PM   #70
cowboyphreak
AF Newbie

Worth the risk?

My 2001 winny just popped the 171/174 too lean codes a couple of days ago. It has about70K and this is the first problem with the vehicle. My question is we are getting ready to go on about a 1000 mile trip and I do not have time to take it in or fix it myself - should I risk driving that distance with the codes or plan on taking another vehicle (ie rental)? There is no perceptable decline in performance since the CEL came on.
cowboyphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:25 AM   #71
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I'd make the trip. It took me a while to get around to mine when the CEL first came on ... in fact the CEL "came and went" a couple of times before performance problems were noticeable.

Of course, your experience may be different....its a small gamble, but at least you're keeping your money in your pocket.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:58 AM   #72
lewisnc100
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Codes 171 & 174 too lean

You might also check for the easiest cause of the P0171/P0174 error codes before your trip. I got those codes and was convinced that I would need to perform the entire TSB repair. But when I looked at the engine the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line had loosened up and fallen off. This is the first check in the TSB and I was lucky, replaced it and the valve cover and haven't seen the errors back (although I'm sure I'll be doing the TSB steps some day). Here's a picture of the vacuum line:

http://groups.msn.com/FordWindstar/s...oto&PhotoID=24
lewisnc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #73
cowboyphreak
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Codes 171 & 174 too lean

<snip>...the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line had loosened up and fallen off. This is the first check in the TSB and I was lucky, replaced it and the valve cover and haven't seen the errors back (although I'm sure I'll be doing the TSB steps some day). Here's a picture of the vacuum line:
</snip>

Thanks for the thoughts... although I may have spoke too soon - my wife just called and said the car was sputtering and running rough. We are in the throws a very cold spell and I think I read somewhere that cold weather will exacerbate the problem. I will check the vacuum lines and let you know. Also will the CEL clear automatically or do I need to reset it. If so how? Thanks!
cowboyphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #74
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

If you fix the problem the Powertrain Control Module will clear the CEL after some miles of driving.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #75
88DukeBird
AF Newbie

I just found this forum today, and all of the TSB links I've tried are long dead... Does anyone know how I can get a copy? Thanks.
88DukeBird is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar