Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
workinmanfred
AF Newbie

Dashboard lights?

Hello everyone here in the Toronado forum. I just bought (several hours ago)a 1990 Toronado with 101k, 3800 V6. I need to figure out why the dashboard and gear selector, etc, doesn't have a backlight. Everything still works they just aren't lit up. Anyone have any ideas? I've gotta check fuses, I know, but are all those things on the same fuse. Also need to know why it's telling me it's very low on refrigerant? Other than the obvious "it needs refrigerant" It came on when the defroster was used. Is there a leak or can I just recharge the system? Thanks everyone.
workinmanfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Dashboard lights?

Check the fuses then post back.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
workinmanfred
AF Newbie

Ok, I checked all the fuses in the fusebox that's in the glovebox. All are ok, checked the relay center under the hood and the fuses are good in there also. I checked the electronics ground against the passenger fender also. The battery is dated 9/09 and it's pulling 13-14 volts. There is also no idiot bells or dings when the doors are open or if I leave the key in the ignition. Please help! Any other ideas? I've been doing research and have heard of the dimmer switch causing problems and the way I interpret the shop manual, I'm leaning toward the BCM? This effects the cruise though, and it works. I am stumped and my wife is mad because this is supposed to be her car.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
workinmanfred
AF Newbie

OK, NOW THIS CAR IS PISSING ME OFF! I just pulled into the driveway and the brake pedal went to the floor. I've got brake fluid running out from underneath the drivers door. I tested the functions of the cruise control to check that part of the BCM. All functions of the cruise works. Do you guys think that had something to do with it or was it just a coincidence? It's not pouring out now that the car is off. The automatic headlights aren't closing all the way either, and I need an alignment. I just bought this thing two days ago and haven't even got to enjoy it yet. GRRRRR!

Last edited by workinmanfred; 02-04-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
maxwedge
A990 racer

This is a 20 year old car that was somewhat problematic when it was young, the brake line leak s unrelated to your electrical issues, a factory manual is required to track down the lighting and electrical problems as the bcm controls a number of modules, circuits and relays.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
workinmanfred
AF Newbie

I do have the shop manual and the BCM does control all the things that are not working, except the cruise control. It just doesn't make sense to me. If I change the BCM does it have to reprogrammed or "flashed"? I was told it would mess up the odometer. It would read the replacement BCM mileage and not the old one. Is that correct? How much does reprogramming cost? I can find a BCM online, would a dealer reflash it after I install it?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
maxwedge
A990 racer

You need to do addt'l diagnosis here, follow the trouble tree to check the circuits and inop components. The BCM replacement requirements are also in the manual.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

The dash light problem is most likely your headlight switch ( if it has the automatic headlight activation feature ) . The switch contains electronic circuitry that automatically turns the headlights on at dusk and dims the dash , cluster , etc. lighting .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Toronado