Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
krackaboy1
AF Newbie

Converting from column shift to Hurst promatic 2

When I bought my car, it came running off the stock automatic column shifter, but with a Promatic 2 partially intalled. The guy I bought it from had told me all I needed was to buy a shift cable, throw it in, and the slapshifter would be good to go. Apparently there's more than just throwing it in to get it installed... Haha. Anyway, right now I've got a rod coming down from the column shifter, that turns an arm, which switches the gears in the TH300. I was able to briefly look at another Nova (a 66 Ralley Sport) with a finished application... And where my arm is (that connects to the column shift rod), he's just got a different looking connection, that goes straight to the cable. That replacement for the arm is what I need, (anyone know if I need more??). Where can I find the pieces? The shift kit that I have has no instructions, and the new cable didn't come with any either... So I'm working blind. Thanks for any help.
krackaboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Frasers73
AF Newbie

Re: Converting from column shift to Hurst promatic 2

Mine is not a promatic 2, but my car came with a B&M rachet shift fully installed.

I have it partially apart right now (I'm trying to remove the front bench) so I can take a few pictures if you think that would help you figure it out.

Maybe it is way different and will be no help at all, but I thoguht I'd offer.

Let me know
Frasers73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
jimmypodunk
AF Newbie

My 67 Nova has a promatic 2. I just drilled a hole through the floorboard over the transmission and connected it straight to the linkage on the TH350. I just got rid of the shift column linkage altogther. If you like I could take pictures and try to post them for ya.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
krackaboy1
AF Newbie

Pictures would be extremely helpful, thanks guys. Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was at the NCO Academy in Ft Stewart... No internet allowed for a bit. But get those pics if and when ya can. Thanks again!
krackaboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
jimmypodunk
AF Newbie

Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
74NovaNick
AF Newbie

My 74 also came with a B&M Quicksilver almost fully installed from the original automatic column shift. The only thing is is that the reverse light switch and neutral safety switch aren't installed. I have an afteramrket switch built into my console for the reverse light. By as far as the netural safety, I CAN start in any gear. I was llokin at those pictures and was wondering what those orange and black wires are in the second one down. Thanks.
-Nick
74NovaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
jimmypodunk
AF Newbie

I'm not for certain but they both look like grounds. The black wire I believe is a ground for the shifter lights. The orange I think is a ground for the neutral safety switch. It goes to either a light green or pink wire and comes back around to the neutral safety switch on the other side of the Hurst Shifter.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
smokeyburnouts396
AF Newbie

im in the middle of putting a b&m rathet shifter in my 68 nova i have a ? that i hope you guys can answer while you guys are on the subject ive got every thing hooked up besides for the reverse light and all that wiring i have the cable hooked up and adjusted properly when i start the car and go to put it in gear it wont go not reverse drive or anything im not sure if the owner before me put oil in the torque converter when it was installed or not and i dont know if that even matters i was told that it may be the case thanks alot travis
smokeyburnouts396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #9
jimmypodunk
AF Newbie

Did it work with the column shift before you hooked up the shifter?
I assume you checked the transmission fluid level.
The only time this happened to me was when I installed the torque converter on the flywheel before installing the transmission. I went through two transmissions and I explained to the transmision shop on the 3rd one what I had done and he said that's what it was. You have to make sure the torque converter is primed with transmission fluid too. This could have consequences too as I've seen on a Monster Garage Episode. I'd really hate to tell you to get under the car and shift it manually with your hands to see if the problem is the transmission or the shift cable seeing how you might get run over. Maybe you can have someone shift the shifter with the car off and the wheels chocked while you look under the car to see if the cable might be slipping or something.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
smokeyburnouts396
AF Newbie

i tried that and i can only get it into park
smokeyburnouts396 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova