Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Corvette85
AF Newbie

I have a few questions about rebuilding a L-98 350 (does anyone have one for sale?)

For starters I know nothing about engines, and was hoping for this rebuild to be a learning experience. I have an 85 Corvette, and I was hoping to rebuild an L-98 in case mine takes a dive, plus I want to learn to do this anyway.

Can you use any 350 block, or do you have to have one specifically for the L-98?

Does anyone have a 350 block in the DFW, Texas area for sale?

What is an estimated cost for rebuild?

Thanks. Zak
Corvette85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: I have a few questions about rebuilding a L-98 350 (does anyone have one for sale?)

You can start with any viable 350, 4-bolt block. You're more likely to find those in trucks. The only distinguishing feature of the Y-Body L-98 is the aluminum heads. Those are going to be the most difficult to find for an authentic rebuild.

However, the 1985-86 Corvette L-98 would not be my first choice as a starting point for various reasons:
  • While the factory aluminum heads are a slight improvement over their iron siblings, the aftermarket has far superior heads available for reasonable prices.
  • With the reformulation of engine oils and subsequent removal of EP antifriction additives, I would no longer consider building any replacement engine without a roller cam and lifters. Because of that, and the fact that the GM factory design roller lifter system is not only adequate for higher lift and RPM operation, but is the most cost effective system, it may be better to begin with a 1987 or later 350 block already incorporating a roller lifter system.
  • While the Y-Car and many truck SBCs were equipped with 4-bolt main bearing caps, they were straight outer bolts. For the greatest strength of the lower case, begin with a 2-bolt main case and machine it for 4-bolt main caps with splayed outer bolts.
Everything else is equal. A good pair of aluminum heads, improved dual pattern cam, and stout rotating assembly in a prepared 2-bolt block might cut into your wallet for almost $2000 with all the necessary parts. That will depend upon how much machining, preparation, and assembly you perform and how much is farmed out. By comparison, a prepared short block can be had for around the same price: http://www.sdparts.com/product/12561...eAssembly.aspx
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
88camaroproject
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 88camaroproject
Re: I have a few questions about rebuilding a L-98 350 (does anyone have one for sale?)

im pretty positive an 85 vette has iron heads. and considering theres one in my driveway that i have been working on they are iron. and pretty much any small block chevy will bolt in there. im currently building a 406 sbc that i want to find a vette to put it in. so if you find any sbc (350 or bigger preferably) you can build it and bolt the tpi setup on it. i would suggest reusing the current heads or get some that have the same bolt holes as the tpi setup. you could take the heads to a machine shop and get them ported and some bigger valves put in and maybe shave them for a little more compression. and for starters you need to check all the bearing clearances on the mains and rods and what not. theres alot of stuff that goes into building a motor. so you will need some measuring tools (not a measuring tape...) to get it done right.

edit: oh and if you do this, you will need to get the computer tuned for the new motor, enless you leave it all original, but i beleive the 85 vete has a funky computer that is hard to tune, but very possible.

87 firebird formula ws6
(currently has a old 78 305 with the following upgrades,
including lots of miles and stock heads and internals....oops)
crane cam cam specs
performance valve springs and retainers, flowtech headers, 255 lph fuel pump,
holley 600cfm carb, weiand single plane manifold, a healty diet.
14.90 1/4 mile....just wait for the 406 to be finished
MY VIDEOS
MY PICTURES
-Tom
88camaroproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Correct. The '85 is a "bastard" model ECM which was barely capable of managing the engine, requierd a separate module just to manage the MAF, and is not as friendly to the reprogrammer. If you're going to the trouble of swapping engines, a later ECM might also be a good upgrade. Most of the necessary wiring is present, and some repinning would be necessary.

There's a pretty good outline of what's involved here:

http://www.ece.udel.edu/~davis/z28/
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

I did an 87 L98 intake workover (not the heads). It was not a picnic.

There's two intake runner bolts that are an extreme challenge.

The cold start injector was a bear gettin' back in to place. And it didn't take long to realize it wasn't seated when I turned the key

If you do, I suggest doing two re-assembly dry fits with the cleaned parts.

The TPI has a problem with intake leaks. When I did the final re-assembly, I put a grease film on all gaskets.

Do the suggested re-torque checks, following re-assembly.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette