Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
davidray
AF Newbie

Cool 89 corvette dash light problem

Hey everyone! I got an 89 vette with a little problem, i think. When the headlight switch is in, the dash lights up fine. When you pull them out, they go dim. I live in missouri and i was making a trip to michigan when i think i fugured out the problem. When i started driving it was daylight out, as it started to get darker, i turned the headlights on. As it got darker, the interior lights got dimmer, finally the dash went black when it was dark outside. I had to use a flashlight to see how fast i was going. Does anyone know if there is a sensor to replace?
davidray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #2
StarsEnd00
Banned

Re: 89 corvette dash light problem

it's not a sensor, the digital guages in the c4's were just plain bad. do your turnsignal and high beam icon's light up when it's out? you'll probably need to have it rebuilt which runs about 300-350 depending on who does it. ecklers does it for 350 and I haven't had a problem with mine since. also I've been told there is a conversion kit for analog guages, the custom kind, though I haven't found it yet.
StarsEnd00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:14 AM   #3
davidray
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 89 corvette dash light problem

the turn signal and bright light work. At night when the dash lights go out, if you use a flashlight, you can still see all the numbers and everything, its just not backlit. I noticed the problem after installing a new stereo. The previous owner had cut the wire harness off. There looks to be a couple of bare wires left. I talked to another corvette owner and he has had the same problem immediatley following a new stereo install. I wonder if there is a connection there somewhere. Now my stereo dont work at all. The radio does come on, but no noise out of the speakers. Im going to order a new wire harness and install a different stereo. Ill see if that helps.
davidray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
MalRay
AF Newbie

The reason the dash lights dont work is the power feed for the dash lights runs through the radio first. If you or whoever installed the radio used a adapter to adapt the wires there should be two orange wires that need to be conected together one should be labeled dimmer and the otherlight feed conect these together and the lights will work. Hope you get it fixed Mal
MalRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Catman-'87
AF Newbie

Re: 89 corvette dash light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidray
Hey everyone! I got an 89 vette with a little problem, i think. When the headlight switch is in, the dash lights up fine. When you pull them out, they go dim. I live in missouri and i was making a trip to michigan when i think i fugured out the problem. When i started driving it was daylight out, as it started to get darker, i turned the headlights on. As it got darker, the interior lights got dimmer, finally the dash went black when it was dark outside. I had to use a flashlight to see how fast i was going. Does anyone know if there is a sensor to replace?
Sounds as if the photo cell has gone bad. This is a small window above the speedo which senses the light and brightens the dash in daytime and dims it in darkness. Check Corvette magazine tech article by Gordon Killebrew on Corvettemagazine.com. Hope this helps.
Catman-'87 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette