Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Metal Shaping and Welding Discuss metal shaping and welding techniques. Share your projects or tips and tricks.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:09 PM   #16
Geeko
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Geeko
heh, i feel like a hick now :P

i learned on a stick torch, and vastly prefer it... the wirefed would CONSTANTLY jam on me. I learned how to weld while working on a dairy farm, repairing feeding racks and trailer equipment, and I got pretty good at using inferior equipment, in "unusual" circumstances, with great skill

I've actually done more sculpture and artwork with welders, then I have actually building a practical device. I spent a few summers making sculptures from 4" tall to well over 15' tall. If you havn't tried it, metal scupture is VERY fun and addicting

I can't draw, I can't paint, I can't work with clay... but give me a welding torch and some scrap steel... muahahahahaha...

AD (After Deer): Nascar Ready.

Go Baby Go.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:29 AM   #17
frankthewelder
AF Newbie

Re: Any welders out there?

I have been a weldor for thirty years or so. I also agree that stick welding is the coolest. I have all the machines (except a plasma welder) and now rarely use stick at all. A couple of weeks ago I hooked up a stinger on my invertor and burned a little lo-hy (7018) If you can get good a stick in all positions, you will have no trouble with the rest.

The trick to all the processes is matching the current/material/filler quantities. with MIG for example, people want to patch a body panel, get the smallest wire you can find and turn the voltage down till you can get a little "build up". I think you guys who are having trouble are using .035 or some flux core junk. Once you get in the ball-park with your settings, get out the magnifing glass and look closely. On thicker material If you can get it to sound like a really hot frying pan, you should be good. Watch for traces of a thin tan colored "slag" on the tops and sides of the welds. This slag will only be present on welds done correctly in most cases.

TIG takes a really long time to reach profiency. I discourage hobbiests from trying this unless you have a pile of money and years to learn. I teach TIG welding and few students ever reach profiency.

The advice I have read in this forum has been very good, buy a high quality MIG with gas fitting and practice. you can see some photos of my welds and welded projects by searching "frank the welder" on flickr.com
Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #18
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Frank, your welding is awesome.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #19
frankthewelder
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
Frank, your welding is awesome.

thanks for the kind words, I was happy to find this forum, I will be a regular visitor!! Check back on flickr, I just finished a 4130 cage in a quattro and should post up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #20
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Yeah frank you might look at the dates before posting in out dated matterial here.

this is closed...

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding