Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Aveo
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #16
pookiehelldog
AF Newbie

Re: Aveo gas mileage

unfortunately in a way...owning a car this cheap takes some know how of cars...and a lot of effort on maintence. I noticed that mine wasn't getting super duper mileage so...i started making sure that every other week i checked air pressure in the tires (although im changing my tires soon..they do make a differance)...changed the oil on the dot (in all chevys for whatever reason this really makes the differance)
I also went to spark plugs.com and NGK offers iridium spark plugs for the aveo. So with the spark plugs, air intake, wires and constant maintence I put into it i get in between 38 and 42.
also btw i think since this car is so slow ppl have a tendency to gas a little to hard, i have a manuel and to other manuel aveo owners try practicing to a t proper shift points that also makes a world of differance
pookiehelldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #17
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i just found out my parents (who own the car) are 2000 miles over oil change... and they dont seem to care.

i want to scream, i was hoping they would take care of it, and when the warrenty runs out i was going to add a body kit and work on the rest of the car to make it nicer. since they want to keep the car a long time.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:01 AM   #18
phantomcobra
AF Newbie

zx2guy... 2,000 miles past the oil change and they don't care? Seems like a bit of a contradiction with "they want to keep the car a long time" unless their idea of keeping a car a long time is to run it into the ground in 2 years and then park it in the back yard for 20.
04 Cavalier (auto, 4 door, 2.2L)
*seems like my engines keep getting smaller
phantomcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #19
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

there are times i wonder the same, i was the car carer when i lived w/ them. i made sure they were clean and up to date on everything. since then the cars havent been waxed, they go over the oil change, but i suppose i cant complain. between a job, school, and my weekend work i dont have much time either
Old 05-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
Pilita
AF Newbie

My Aveo was giving me between 25-26 miles (rural Pennsylvania driving). Another happy owner suggested that for my next oil change I should switch to CASTROL. I used a service place that only use CASTROL SYNTEC BLEND OIL and I am now getting 30.8 miles PLUS I received a $5.00 rebate directly from Castrol for my next oil change. I am quite pleased with the results. I plan to change the tires at 12,000 miles.
Pilita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
tvent
AF Newbie

I'm trying to get best mpg with my aveo. Besides tire psi, oil change, clean air filter, non aggressive driving, what else can you do? What is the advantage of special spark plugs or different ignition? Anybody suggest any mod's that have worked?
tvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 PM   #22
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

this is very similar to something i wanted to try. however yes different plug and wires, (basically the thicker the wires the more efficient the "zap", better bang <more visable on higher tuned vehicles though) Cold air intake or short ram, making the air's ride into and out of the car as smooth as possible (remove resonators, different cat, aem muffler). also aerodynamics play a role, a friend of mine said he lowered his car about an inch and a half and picked up about 1 mpg... doesnt seem like much but every little bit counts. also there are undervrive pulleys out there that can help... but i suggest you look into it, and do NOT just totally omit something like getting a s-belt that omits AC and power steering, yes it can help but its doing more harm then good. if you are well to do. and i suggest this on older vehicles... IF you believe it. they say that for every so long of wire(uncluding plug, lights, ect) you lose 1hp. thus why dragsters cut thier plug wires to fit. however i do not suggest this either.
as for your driving "style" i picked up about 6 more mpg (in my zx2) from drafting semi's < again i suggest against. but something that helped was poping the car into neutral down hills. especially big ones. ive hit well over 90 mhp in my old laser in the hills of ky. topics to also think about: weight < if you dont need it Ie air boxes... why keep it its dead weight that ussually restricts flow, A and F, make sure your motor can breath in and out. also MAINTAINANCE MAINTAINANCE. people ussually put injector cleaner in their car, but its bad for your car (eats away at certain components) and get a pro to look at your car if any thing starts to feel funny. just remember to keep your car safe.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #23
wille
AF Newbie

Only mod i have is a K&N Air Filter. I get around 26-27 city 31-35 hwy on chevy's oil.
wille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #24
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i didnt really take into account money. i dont know how much you want to spend. some people only want to spend a few houndred on the generic intake and exhaust mods.

but the more into it you are you can go with the higher end stuff that people tend to forget... ie ported throttle bodies, or larger ones. modify the intake, size/fit ports, cams, roller rockers, flat top pistons, chips, headers, full exhaust, (if auto) shift kit. (if stick) lighter fly wheel, different clutch. granted these are the more expensive of them. each have their own perk or drop in performance. it all depends on how much you want to spend, your desired effect, and where you are located (ie city might have a wider selection then the sticks of KY<ild know)
Old 05-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #25
wille
AF Newbie

Update on my Auto Aveo LS 05
With K&N Air Filter, just put in Castrol Syntec 5w-30

34city and 49hwy

I let it shift normally around 3000-3500 rpms. and acually flooring it i can bur a little of rubber too. no CAI on this car.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #26
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

i wouldnt put one in anyway, something about the air filter being that low... what if it got ripped off or you hit a good sized puddle.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #27
wille
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx2guy
i wouldnt put one in anyway, something about the air filter being that low... what if it got ripped off or you hit a good sized puddle.
Its not low or anything. the oil gm puts in usually is to heavy weight of oil for the aveo motor. plust the synthetic really freed up that motor. i can romp on it and burn a little bit of rubber now. or go light and get great gas mileage. the K&N helped a little but mostly in power. the motor was too clogged up with that gm shit 10w-40 that it wouldn't get any good power till high rpms, and yes an aveo can burn rubber on pavement, not just a 5 speed but this is an automatic. it cornered great at high speeds too. i think chevy shouldn't even be doing this car because they can't even matnence the thing right. let someone else do it. come on, bad clocks, 20psi in each tire every visit at chevy, their trying to rip you off. i think this car can do more, but chevy is ruining its name...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #28
zx2guy
AF Enthusiast

im just saying about the cai, what you have is more along the lines of a short ram. those in fender low cai i dont like.unless it absolutely needs to go in the fender cuz there is no room.

what kind of oil do you run? 5 -20?

thats what my zx2 takes (ford being the dummasses they are ran 5 30 in the vct motors till it threw the code for vct malfunction, then they lightened up to 5 20)

i also wonder about little things like what if you swapped to roller rockers? granted it would be better for a mechanic to do because alot goes into it. or one of those carbon fiber hoods with the scoop offset to go right to the filter.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #29
2Metros
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx2guy
i just found out my parents (who own the car) are 2000 miles over oil change... and they dont seem to care.

i want to scream, i was hoping they would take care of it, and when the warrenty runs out i was going to add a body kit and work on the rest of the car to make it nicer. since they want to keep the car a long time.
Two thousand miles over isn't a whole lot over. Keep in mind, the "severe" service schedule is supposed to cover all from the less than "normal" to the severest of the severe. Three thousand miles between changes...is really only needed for old-lady service and dirt-road driving.

4000-5000 miles between changes is probably okay, unless you scale Pike's Peak for a living and drive from below freezing to warm-summer temperatures every day.

With highway usage, 7500 is again the most conservative. If you went 10000 miles without changing...unless you had blowby or extreme temperature swings...I wouldn't worry.

The frequent oil change is "insurance." Only a small percentage need to use their insurance - be it collision or oil change.

Take a deep breath. Engine wear is cumulative. The car isn't ruined because the oil got a little yukky...once.
2Metros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:23 AM   #30
mikedudley17
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mikedudley17

if u wanna add some pep and help ur gas mileage out a bit u can modify ur air intake. i took the original airbox out of my aveo and put a peice of exhaust pipe in the intake pipe amd slapped a Ractive racing filter on it. another benefit is it sounds frickin awesome. it made my car so much more fun to drive. i have gotten compliments on the sound because it sounds like i have an exhaust on it. and i love the extra pep i got from it now when i race and i pop it into 2nd gear the tires chirp and also a set of NGK racing plugs dont hurt either.
mikedudley17 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Aveo