Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 12:09 AM   #31
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroincal
You sound so sure of yourself that the LS1 will lose to these cars. In the 1/4 mile it's a drivers race.

Well yea everything almost comes down to driver race. Were just looking at cars. Thier's gonna be crappy Evo drivers and Thier's gonna be Crappy Camaro or Fbody drivers. Were looking at the whole picture in the 1/4 the evo is faster. Comming out of the factory everything stock. You get into about the 100+ the LS1 is gonna tear the Evo apart. Evo was built for accelartion and short straight shots like the 1/4 mile. Some guy even said him self it's a rally inspirated car. And that's what thier built for.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:55 AM   #32
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082
Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

When has an evo beat an LS1 in the 1/4??? I forgot... cars w/ over 50-60HP less and far less torque than their opponents usually win races. I dont think an evo has a chance against a VR4 either. Mitsubishi built a RALLY car, not a drag car. They alreadt built a drag car, the VR4, and I doubt they'd make a Rally car beat their flagship!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #33
camaroincal
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to camaroincal
Well from what I've read..and I've read alot the LS1, Evo and the VR-4 are all in the low to mid 13's stock using a manual. The LS1 has a fairly high horsepower advantage and the Evo and VR-4 have the off the line advantage. And I have read of cases of LS1's and Evo's breaking into the 12's stock or very near stock.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:13 PM   #34
TatII
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
When has an evo beat an LS1 in the 1/4??? I forgot... cars w/ over 50-60HP less and far less torque than their opponents usually win races. I dont think an evo has a chance against a VR4 either. Mitsubishi built a RALLY car, not a drag car. They alreadt built a drag car, the VR4, and I doubt they'd make a Rally car beat their flagship!
hmmmm the evo makes more tq then hp just to let you know, also the power delivery of the evo is also very good and will pull straight to redline in every gear but fifth. and starts to make full 19psi boost by 3.5k all the way up to 7K( granted it tapers off to 16psi by 5K ) its also geared for optimum low end aceleration. also its AWD. stock evos are known to do a 0-60ft time of 1.6-1.7 seconds ( stock meaning stock tires, stock clutch, not like how you f bodies guys need drag radials to get a 1.8) . also they weight less then the F bodys. ( 3200 lbs ) its not aways about power.

edit: you also make it sound like the VR-4 was the best mitsubishi ever made. the car got killed off the market by the evo. the VR-4 only lasted 3 generations even in japan. the evo is goin on to its 9th gen soon. the VR-4 was waaay over weight, and handled sluggishly compared to the evo and cost alot more then a evo. they also perform similarly in the 1/4 mile stock but handles light years better. so why would people pay more money for a less fun car to drive? the only thing the vr-4 is better then the evo in is the looks, and top end and high speed stablity. bottom line, sayin that the evo can't beat the flag ship of mitsubishi is a useless argument because the old flag ship is dead for over 6 years, and the evo has replaced it and always sold better then the vr-4 ever since the evo first came out in 92, and is still going on strong

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
Old 03-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #35
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatII
hmmmm the evo makes more tq then hp just to let you know, also the power delivery of the evo is also very good and will pull straight to redline in every gear but fifth. and starts to make full 19psi boost by 3.5k all the way up to 7K( granted it tapers off to 16psi by 5K ) its also geared for optimum low end aceleration. also its AWD. stock evos are known to do a 0-60ft time of 1.6-1.7 seconds ( stock meaning stock tires, stock clutch, not like how you f bodies guys need drag radials to get a 1.8) . also they weight less then the F bodys. ( 3200 lbs ) its not aways about power.

edit: you also make it sound like the VR-4 was the best mitsubishi ever made. the car got killed off the market by the evo. the VR-4 only lasted 3 generations even in japan. the evo is goin on to its 9th gen soon. the VR-4 was waaay over weight, and handled sluggishly compared to the evo and cost alot more then a evo. they also perform similarly in the 1/4 mile stock but handles light years better. so why would people pay more money for a less fun car to drive? the only thing the vr-4 is better then the evo in is the looks, and top end and high speed stablity. bottom line, sayin that the evo can't beat the flag ship of mitsubishi is a useless argument because the old flag ship is dead for over 6 years, and the evo has replaced it and always sold better then the vr-4 ever since the evo first came out in 92, and is still going on strong
I know read my post. I said the Evo would beat the VR4.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #36
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

hmm...
back up a second, i never mentioned a ttLS1, b/c obviously, it'd be making a ton of power, and not comparable to an evo.

an evo, though having less weight and less power, can run with an LS1 firebird. end of story.

i already posted proof of a stock evo in the 12's, what else do you want?

the evo is a rally car, so it's got bad gearing for drag racing?

what?

rally cars are designed with super fast acceleration, at the disadvantage of top end, so they're not top speed monsters, but they get there FAST.

anything else?

consider that rally cars, with 350hp, can hit 0-60 in under 3 seconds, ON GRAVEL.

and yes, the WRC cars are limited to 350hp.

also remember that the evo is sick on a race track. paved. outhandles tons of cars...

best of both worlds, easily.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #37
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I don't want a pissing contest here. I don't even hate the evo or anything, if you can tell, Mitsubishi is my fav imports, but snyway.
12.9... honestly, a fluke, it will never be consistant, I mean, strange things can happen, I don't think it is a strong argument.
Evo is 3200lb, well my LS1 is only 3402lb, and 200lb with all my torque is nothing!
Evo does have AWD, which is only an advantage right off the line, and not as big as you think... the longer the race, the smaller it matters. And anything longer than a 1/4 mile and I think it is no contest.
VR4 is better than a evo, it has AWD, plus AW-steering, and it has WAY more potential, this can't even be debated, so I think it is a better car.
I already admitted that the evo can take the LS1 in the corners, why is it so hard for you guys to just admit that the LS1 wins in the straight line. STI vs. LS1 is usually a drivers race, so now you guys think the evo can beat an LS1. ok
Old 03-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #38
TatII
AF Fanatic

what makes you think that an STi is that much faster then an evo? i have a friend that has a sti and another friend with an evo, they take off exactly the same, and they are identical from 1st, 2nd and 3rd, then finally on 4th the STi would inch away by a car. so like in mags they usually do run 1/10 from each other and trap 1 mph from each other. so how would a STi run even with a LS1 and a evo can't? the STi and the Evo is soo similar in speed until you hit 100mph. and about the VR-4 having more potential. i don't think so, the AWS is crude and does little to hide its weight, it also comes with really small tires stock, and the transmissions will break ( just like a DSM ) the evo's tranny is alot more stronger, and gettin and you can get an evo in the 11's with the stock turbo, and the u.s. barely got time to even start wrenching on the thing. how many years have a vr-4 been here? so we obviously will have alot more experience tuning the thing. but just wait a few years and you'll see what they can do with the evo. i don't even know how many 10 second vr-4's are here. i know there are some in the states. but not that much. there are quit a few 10 second evo's in japan, new zealand, australia and europe, and in fact R & R just built a 10 second evo in the states. soo how does a evo have less potential then a VR-4? i bet you they did it with less money too then what it would take to make a vr4 run that time.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 03-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #39
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Quote:
Ok, I don't want a pissing contest here. I don't even hate the evo or anything, if you can tell, Mitsubishi is my fav imports, but snyway.
12.9... honestly, a fluke, it will never be consistant, I mean, strange things can happen, I don't think it is a strong argument.
Evo is 3200lb, well my LS1 is only 3402lb, and 200lb with all my torque is nothing!
Evo does have AWD, which is only an advantage right off the line, and not as big as you think... the longer the race, the smaller it matters. And anything longer than a 1/4 mile and I think it is no contest.
VR4 is better than a evo, it has AWD, plus AW-steering, and it has WAY more potential, this can't even be debated, so I think it is a better car.
I already admitted that the evo can take the LS1 in the corners, why is it so hard for you guys to just admit that the LS1 wins in the straight line. STI vs. LS1 is usually a drivers race, so now you guys think the evo can beat an LS1. ok
The Evo is faster than the VR4 in the 1/4 mile. Due to the VR4's weight. Evo is faster in the corners. And your right about the straight shot that the LS1 is faster. But that's after the 1/4 mile. Find someone with an Evo and you will find out what they can do in the 1/4 mile. You will be amazed
Old 03-30-2004, 05:10 PM   #40
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

No problem, I haven't really encountered any to see. I still say that a VR4 has WAY more potential than an evo, we are talking 4cyl. vs. 6cyl. Twin Tubo no less. A VR4 is pretty heavy, but that can be fixed. I don't see it as crude. I mean, it is v6 TT, it is comparble to supra's, rx-7s, I think it is a little out of the evo's league. An evo is somewhat maxed out, how much more HP do you think you can squeeze out of a 4cyl single turbo. And thank you for admitting that the LS1 is faster straight-away!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:05 PM   #41
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

Quote:
No problem, I haven't really encountered any to see. I still say that a VR4 has WAY more potential than an evo, we are talking 4cyl. vs. 6cyl. Twin Tubo no less. A VR4 is pretty heavy, but that can be fixed. I don't see it as crude. I mean, it is v6 TT, it is comparble to supra's, rx-7s, I think it is a little out of the evo's league. An evo is somewhat maxed out, how much more HP do you think you can squeeze out of a 4cyl single turbo. And thank you for admitting that the LS1 is faster straight-away!
Yea i said straight away AFTER the 1/4 mile. LS1 will lose in the 1/4 mile dont get my words mixed. And your right to a point. The Evo is pretty much factory maxed already. You can buy a bigger turbo and tweak stuff here tweak stuff thier and proably get about 400 to 500 HP on the Evo. I mean it comes facotry stock with 19 psi set already. It would take alot more money for the VR4 to beat the Evo modded that much. In the long run i would take the VR4 to but were not comparing those two, we are comparing the Evo agiasnt a LS1 firebird.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:11 PM   #42
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi

i don't know that we're looking for a pissing contest, or trying for it.

i simply posted a person who ran a high 12 in an evo, stock.
you said that you can hit high 12's in a firebird, and i don't think you said that was consistent, so why is my example blown off?

i'm sure the 12 second firebird is flukey, just like this evo, apparently...

but in a comparison forum, i'm comparing both cars, not both 1/4 mile times, and the question wasn't about the 1/4 mile.

stock for stock, i'd take the evo, all day, every day.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:20 PM   #43
TatII
AF Fanatic

Quote:
the evo's super 16G turbo can make up to 450hp. which is good for a low 12 to a high 11 second run on the stock turbo. the car is far from maxed out from the factory. with bolt ons and a ecu reflash you can get a gain of over 100whp. just cuase its a 4 cylinder don't dimiss it. i mean yes it won't be as strong as a 6. but still its far from maxed out from the factory. trust me if you want to talk about maxing out from factory you talk about the S2K.

Best E.T. 13.559
Old 03-30-2004, 09:49 PM   #44
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylwsi
hmm...
back up a second, i never mentioned a ttLS1, b/c obviously, it'd be making a ton of power, and not comparable to an evo.

an evo, though having less weight and less power, can run with an LS1 firebird. end of story.

i already posted proof of a stock evo in the 12's, what else do you want?

the evo is a rally car, so it's got bad gearing for drag racing?

what?

rally cars are designed with super fast acceleration, at the disadvantage of top end, so they're not top speed monsters, but they get there FAST.

anything else?

consider that rally cars, with 350hp, can hit 0-60 in under 3 seconds, ON GRAVEL.

and yes, the WRC cars are limited to 350hp.

also remember that the evo is sick on a race track. paved. outhandles tons of cars...

best of both worlds, easily.
the rally cars in the WRC are limited to a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine at 300hp not 350 get ur facts straight
Old 03-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #45
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I'm gonna go find someone in the evo forum that has 450-500HP on the stock setup... and honestly, how long do you think it will last like that. And the LS1 supposedly can hit 12's with a really good driver, I'm assuming more than one person has done it... but anyway averages times the LS1 is faster, it was even posted in this thread. So NO, the LS1 will not lose to the evo in the quarter, it weighs only a couple hundred pounds less yet is lacking over 60HP. Whatever, you guys are DIE-HARD evo fans and we are talknig in circles.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons