Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: What we drive in Europe. Wich one would you pick?
Citroen Xsara 3 8.57%
Ford Focus 3 8.57%
Opel Astra 3 8.57%
Peugeot 307 9 25.71%
Renault Mégane 3 8.57%
Seat Leon 2 5.71%
VW Golf 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 06:27 PM   #61
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
gang$tarr>

First of all we have to establish whether exotics are made to be driven in the city or on twisty roads. Here in the Uk the roads in major cities, though overcrowded are perfectly smooth to drive on. Dont be fooled into thinking everyone drives a hatchback, there are thousands of people who cruise to work in their beemers, mercs, porsches etc at an average speed of 5-6 mph. There are also many bendy roads around here to drive your fast car on, which unless ive lost my mind is what they were meant for in the first place. Track days are becoming more and more popular, with an increasing number of people buying an out-and-out racer to take on the track at weekends. this is why im saying theres a greater variety, if not in numbers (who knows) of exotics in the UK than ive seen anywhere else.

I dont think that many people who live in the States appreciate small cars. Ok, leaving out the panda there are very many hatchbacks that would teach some of the American manufacturers a thing or two about making cars
Well Jay you are half right in your first Paragraph- In the UK a lot of people drive 5 series, E Classes and A6's and all that to work, but in EUROPE the hatch is the way to go and especially in Italy and France where if they are going to drive a Luxury car it will be a Kappa, 6O7, Safrane, Vel Statis or XM. And the UK has one hell of an awesome rage of exotics as well I must say after reading the July 2002 issue of CAR And you should consider yourself lucky, in NZ it is a Porsche or Maserati or some high-performance Jap car- OR if you can wait a few years a Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley or Lambo.

As for Paragraph 2: More power to ya!!!!!! These hatchbacks are far better than any Yank Tank and hell even the Panda could show the Yanks a thing or two about rust-proofing and reliabilty (Yes even if it is a rust-bucket)
Old 07-01-2002, 06:46 PM   #62
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

crayzayjay:
Quote:
First of all no one really drives flat out in their exotic on these twisties EVERY DAY, and when they decide to put their foot down they're driving the car like its meant to be drive. Even supercars nowadays are relatively easy to drive on ANY ROAD (if youre not pushing) so i think the roads in the UK at least are perfectly suited to them.
Seeing as youre from the UK you will know as well as anyone wot the cops r like now for speeding. Speed isnt always practical anymore as the roads are windy. You will know that it wouldnt be a good experience fighting with the clutch in a Lamborghini Diablo round the streets of London at rush hour, or having to fight with it round the twisty commuter routes from Milton Keynes, Essex etc. every day. The roads are becoming more and more congested in the UK, and cameras are cropping up on alot of the best driving roads. TRUE exotics (read Lambo's, faster Ferraris etc.) are horrible to handle at lower speeds. I know a guy with an F40 and it is almost undriveable below 75, and many supercars are like this. I agree that 911's etc. are easy to drive, but i dont class them as TRUE supercars anymore (except GT2's, GT1's and the like). A supercar is designed to be driven fast, and the handling shows in them, they dont like having to crawl to work every day at 30mph. When the car is going for it flat out then there probably arent any better roads in the world than the Welsh mountain passes, but they are a pain in the arse if youre going anything less than flat out.

Anyway, there is my views on it, i could probably have said all that lot in a couple of sentences but never mind
Old 07-02-2002, 12:32 AM   #63
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

As for Paragraph 2: More power to ya!!!!!! These hatchbacks are far better than any Yank Tank and hell even the Panda could show the Yanks a thing or two about rust-proofing and reliabilty (Yes even if it is a rust-bucket)
Why do you guys hate the United States?
Seems like you guys will critisize anything that's done in the U.S. lol

Why were american cars even brought into this thread?

Most people around here drive European and Japanese anyway
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 07-02-2002, 01:47 AM   #64
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr

no idea y we hate american cars, and not all of us do. its probably the same kinda reason why alot of u guys thinks vipers and vettes are the best cars in the world! i guess we all think our own manufacturers are best
Old 07-02-2002, 01:52 AM   #65
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr

I don't HATE the US as such, I just think they made mediocre half-assed cars (If we forget C5 'Vette and Viper) I mean look at the interior of a brand new Mustang- IT IS BARELY ON PAR WITH A YUGO!!! and don't even start me on the fact they are still using live rear-axles and pushrod engines........OR the 3-speed Auto found on the Neon before they removed the ugly POS from the New Zealand market-place

And ermmmmm................I think you may have jusssssst bought them into the thread
Old 07-02-2002, 05:38 PM   #66
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Fliquer
^^^you get the TRIPLE ROLL
Urethane bushings in all control arms and subframe
Cone Filter
Next up: LSD

RIP #05
Old 07-02-2002, 06:36 PM   #67
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

I don't HATE the US as such, I just think they made mediocre half-assed cars (If we forget C5 'Vette and Viper) I mean look at the interior of a brand new Mustang- IT IS BARELY ON PAR WITH A YUGO!!! and don't even start me on the fact they are still using live rear-axles and pushrod engines........OR the 3-speed Auto found on the Neon before they removed the ugly POS from the New Zealand market-place

And ermmmmm................I think you may have jusssssst bought them into the thread
I just found a picture of the interior of a new mustang since I've never been in one, and it doesn't look that bad to me. Not great, but for the price I don't think it's bad. Barely on par with a Yugo? I doubt that.
I dont know why you're mentioning Neons, thats like me talking about the biggest piece of shit car that comes out of europe and saying that european cars are like that.

I dont know why I'm defending American cars since I dont think my family has ever owned one, but there are decent cars like the Cadillac DTS with Nightvision, Escalade, Lincoln LS.

both European and Japanese cars are generally better than American, and I'd choose Euro or Jap over American.

I dont even remember what we were originally talking about, I just think people drive nicer cars here, seems like there are more nice cars.
That was my opinion.... me thinks
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
Old 07-02-2002, 09:01 PM   #68
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
The Toyota Camry only sold 1000 units in England last year, and 400000+ in the US. I believe this is a good example of the differences. And pushrods are good, the Marcos used them, Ultima does, etc, etc. Also, the Panoz GTR uses them. The 3800 series GM engine makes as much hp and more torque than comparative European engines and it gets better mileage. So leave pushrods alone:alien2:
Old 07-03-2002, 06:34 PM   #69
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

^^preach it moddy

(except for the pushrod part)
Cone Filter

RIP #05
Old 07-04-2002, 06:30 AM   #70
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
The Toyota Camry only sold 1000 units in England last year, and 400000+ in the US. I believe this is a good example of the differences. And pushrods are good, the Marcos used them, Ultima does, etc, etc. Also, the Panoz GTR uses them. The 3800 series GM engine makes as much hp and more torque than comparative European engines and it gets better mileage. So leave pushrods alone:alien2:
But c'mon!!!! the pushrod technology has seldom changed since it's introduction, part of life is moving on, not living in the past, the pushrod technology should have far advanced. Hell even rotary technology has advanced more than pushrod technology

and fliquer- if you haven't got a valid opinion stay the f*** away from the thread thanks
Old 07-04-2002, 12:12 PM   #71
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
And pushrods are good, the Marcos used them, Ultima does, etc, etc. Also, the Panoz GTR uses them. The 3800 series GM engine makes as much hp and more torque than comparative European engines and it gets better mileage. So leave pushrods alone:alien2:
Push rods may have not advanced much, but as the old sayin goes "if it aint broke don't fix it"
Old 07-04-2002, 05:03 PM   #72
Fliquer
AF Enthusiast

I was supporting Chris because I had said essentially the same thing (including the toyota camry example) in an earlier thread. So I think I have a valid reason for cheering.

America vs The World

Quote:
IT IS BARELY ON PAR WITH A YUGO!!!
So this counts as a valid opinion? That statement is totally ridiculous. Comes across as hateful bashing. So I responded in kind...
Cone Filter

RIP #05
Old 07-04-2002, 10:05 PM   #73
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliquer
I was supporting Chris because I had said essentially the same thing (including the toyota camry example) in an earlier thread. So I think I have a valid reason for cheering.

America vs The World

So this counts as a valid opinion? That statement is totally ridiculous. Comes across as hateful bashing. So I responded in kind...
Well, I have had a gawk at an LHD '99 Mustang Convertable in the States last time I was there and the door trims were coming apart and the Passenger airbag cover was loose, plus the radio looked as it if was on a slight 10 degree angle, they are even worse in RHD form, so I certainly have valid proof, great V8 though.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:37 PM   #74
LadyBuickGS
AF Newbie

Quote "The 3800 series GM engine makes as much hp and more torque than comparative European engines and it gets better mileage. So leave pushrods alone":alien2:

Amen to that brother!

I love my 3800 supercharged engine! :angel:

This Ain't Your Grandaddy's Buick!!
It's GS Supercharged Power! Woo Hoo!
Old 07-05-2002, 01:57 PM   #75
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

I'm coming back !! ... and I'll answer some questions.
Moss : my neighbours have an A6 Avant (station wagon) to have a car with room inside, the 206 3 doors and the Z3 are not vans !
I wanted to precisise that "little" cars are not bad cars, or cheap cars : they can be big inside, powerful, luxurious, and comfortable. But not big outside because, if you work in a big city, you'll have 2 more rooms (to park) as if you were in an 607 or E class.
Why did I choose a lancia Delta (which is a car as big as a Golf) ? because it's not small inside but not big outside. I bought this car as used car, and I could have bought an Alfa Romeo 164 for the same price, but it's too big, and also (it's important), it drinks less gas (1Euro/US$ for a liter).
Finally, the roads in Europe are boring (except for the highways with are the best in the world, at least in France) in the towns for example sometimes, but if you want to drive and play, it's good. But in the USA, the roads are very boring, straight lines, always and you drive at 30 mph... or almost.

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons