Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 11:11 PM   #1
XeonSSJ
AF Newbie

Maxima vs Escape.... help

Hey guys,

Me and my buddy are going to have a small street race
Here are the cars:

My Car:

2000 Nissan Maxima GXE (automatic)

-automatic
-spoiler
-everything stock
222 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque 217 lb.-ft. @ 4000 rpm
-----------------------------------
His Car:

2001 Ford Escape XLT (automatic)
- V6 2wheel drive
-everything stock
-200 hp @ 6000 rpm
-Torque 200 lb.-ft. @ 4750 rpm

I belive those specs are correct...

I was driving around with him the other day and his car was pretty damn quick for an suv! (i was supprised). I noticed that the Escape has no redline on the RPM meter. In addidtion, he almost spun his tires going into second gear, he has a HEAVY foot. He said that we should race, and i told him ok. I really dont wanna lose so i came here to prepare myself. Need a little help with torque breaking and anything else that will help me win.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nmaxg.jpg (12.8 KB, 48 views)
XeonSSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
99maximagxe
AF Newbie

lol i think ur max is gonna smoke him. I mean its the VQ versus a ford engine. VQ or Ford engine VQ or Ford engine. I say "wards ten best "smokes it.
99maximagxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:55 PM   #3
XeonSSJ
AF Newbie

LoL, yeah

But i do need some help with the driving aspect of the race. Anyone know what rpm you can get the engine up to for a torque break start without screwing things up??? Also, any other tricks would be very helpful, since i am a noob at street racing

Thanks!
XeonSSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

I'd make sure that the O/D is off first, then I would tq brake to 1500-1800 rpms and then launch it.

I've seen some say that they rev up to 2500 but I wouldn't do that, torque braking is fine as long as you don't do it too often and you don't over rev. If you do overrev and torque brake too often, I guarantee your tranny will say bye-bye.

I've taken the Escape pretty easily here, they are fast off the line but they are heavier than the Max plus with the height of the vehicle the wind starts to play it's part working against it as well.

Don't worry about it though, I'd say after 30 mph you'll begin to walk him hard, just keep your foot planted and let the VQ do it's work.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
WhiteMaxima99
AF Newbie

Re: Maxima vs Escape.... help

lol no comp at all i promise you!
WhiteMaxima99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
chrisr67
AF Regular

another point to remember:
don't continue to race after a quarter mile. If you can't beat him by a quarter mile, then back off. Street racing is dangerous enough, ( especially for newbies) and you don't have to race 3-4 miles down a road filled with traffic in order to beat someone. If you get beat, accept your defeat and go back to the drawing board.
I can't even begin to count all the accidents I've seen down here in s.fla caused by people "street racing" for miles and miles at a time. Also, know your driving limits and your cars limit and don't push it.

Don't mean to "preach", but when you've lost a friend to racing like I have, it's nothing to joke about.
good luck, drive safe and have fun!
chrisr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
EPVQ30
AF Regular

i raced and have driven my buddies 99 explorer and i can say that thing is ballsie, gave me a good run but on the highway is buh bye ford. i also raced a CLK430 the other day and we were head to head until he pulled on me while my 3rd gear was huffing and puffing.. but then again you have a 2k auto.. that thing is slow off the line... go for it! either way you can't win or lose them all.

EPVQ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 PM   #8
deadmaninc
AF Enthusiast

how fast are they 0-60? Isnt the 5th gen Max auto doing about 7.5? And I am assuming the Escape is doing what 8.5?
deadmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 02:11 AM   #9
carabuser
AF Newbie

no way in hell you can lose! He's about 4000lbs gross weight. You're about 3250-3300. ALso, shift manualy. Turn o/d off, put in 1st, break torque, go, shift at arounf 6300rpm
carabuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
bk2kmax
AF Enthusiast

Man, people just won't let things die around here for some reason or the other, just race the freakin guy and hand him his @$$, otherwise here is a posting of the stats against the fastest Escape on Carstats.com:

Car-Stats.com Report for 2001 Ford Escape XLT
Obtained from C&D July, 20000-60:
Transmission: Automatic1/4 Mile:
1/4 Speed:

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35