Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
bstanisz
AF Newbie

cold starts

I have a 2000 maxima. When I start it (only when its cold), it makes an high pitched noise. Not like a belt squeaking, but like a muffled whislte. The sound only happens for no more than 1 second. Could it have anything to do with the ign. coils? Also when I accelerate, sometimes I will hear a noise that sounds like a dime being shaken in a tin can. If anyone could help, I would be grateful!!
bstanisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
Caracicatriz
AF Enthusiast

Do you have an exhaust on it?
Caracicatriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #3
bstanisz
AF Newbie

Re: cold starts

No, everthing is stock.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
Caracicatriz
AF Enthusiast

My car sqeaks the same way. I think the problem with mine has to do with the alternator because it squeals really loud when I have accessories on such as the ac. I'd say just open the hood up and have someone else start the car so that you might be able to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:45 PM   #5
chrisr67
AF Regular

Re: cold starts

another point which most don't think that important, but is: always remember to turn off the AC before starting your car. Leaving it on only put's unecessary strain on the alternator when starting your car, which over time will lower it's life, resulting in having to replace it much sooner than normal.

As far as the noise you're hearing, I'd have to agree with Caracicatriz on this one. Have someone else start the car so you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Good luck & let us know what you find out.
chrisr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Caracicatriz
AF Enthusiast

How much does an alternator usually cost. I'm thinking that mines is going bad and that I might want to replace it soon before it dies. The squealing in my car is so annoying. At least my car turns heads now, but for the wrong reason. I'm just waiting to finish this semester in school to fix my car up.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #7
chrisr67
AF Regular

Re: Re: cold starts

hey, at least their lookin right? lol
Anyways, if you're going to replace the alternator yourself, take the old one to someplace like Discount Auto Parts, AutoZone or PepBoys and they'll give you a discount on your new or rebuilt alternator as long as you give them your old one. Not sure what year you've got, but a friend of mine has a 2000 Max and was charged $245 for a rebuilt one. Pretty steep, as I only paid about 120 for the alternator in my Eclipse.
Of course it'll be much more if you take it to a mechanic.
chrisr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:59 AM   #8
bstanisz
AF Newbie

alternator

As it turns out, my alternator is putting out less than half of what it is supposed to be generating. The noise may be coming from a faulty bearing inside the alternator. I am taking it to nissan tonight (under warranty still) and will keep you posted. thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 09:42 AM   #9
Spaz
AF Enthusiast

How did you test your alternator's output? Just hook a multimeter up to it's junk or what?
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35