Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
sirmaxalot
AF Newbie

y-pipe in an auto

I have an '98 gle (hence auto) and was wondering how much of a difference a y-pipe would really make. I've seen dyno results on other maxes and it seems like there is actual hp and torque loss around 3200 rpm, but then significant hp and tq gain past 4000 rpm. In my auto, i notice that it downshifts around a little past 3000 rpm to a maximum of ~4000 rpm, then drops back down somewhere near 3000 again. It seems like adding a y-pipe will only cause and increase in power during downshifting, and possibly a loss of power when driving in the upper power band of normal cruising. It seems like the ypipe in an auto would just be taking power away from one area and placing it at another, and therefore takes only a little advantage of a y-pipe's potential. Any thoughts?
sirmaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: y-pipe in an auto

dude a y pipe makes it feel like a different car. regardless of what tranny you have 17 hp is 17 hp.
it's like a 3 hp loss at 3k rpm and at least 5 hp everywhere else all the way up to 33 peak hp and an average of 18 hp and 19 lbs torque.

this shows 18 hp gained

this shows 19 lbs torque gained

this is an all in all good maxima site http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/504
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35