Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Who needs a CDL?

I already know the answer but lets see what most people think. Im envolved in a discusion on another board about this and no matter how much evidence I present (in the form of FMCSA, USDOT and various state laws) no one can seem to read them. Its frustrating me. I just want to know if im wrong or has everyone blocked out my view because they are tired of hearing me say no.
If you dont mind, do a little research (its really pretty easy as most states publish their manuals on the internet now) and tell me who needs a CDL in your state. Heres WV.

http://www.wvdot.com/6_motorists/dmv...0of%20Licenses
Ray H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: Who needs a CDL?

Virginia is similar, if not identical:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci.../cdl_class.asp

What is the issue the other forum's members are having? Are they saying they can drive whatever they'd like without a CDL?
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Who needs a CDL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan
Virginia is similar, if not identical:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci.../cdl_class.asp

What is the issue the other forum's members are having? Are they saying they can drive whatever they'd like without a CDL?
Theyre interpretation of the CDL laws is that you must have a CDL to pull a trailer over 10000lbs GVWR irregardless of the combined GVWR. So essentually, If you were pulling a 12000lbs trailer with a dually pickup, you would need a CDL.
Im saying that without meeting the 26000lbs minimum, you do not need a CDL irregardless of the trailer weight.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
freakray
AF Modelrater

A trailer is classified as a vehicle, hence why they require a licence plate.

The way it seems it can be interpreted is that the combined weight of 26,000 lbs, not the trailer or vehicle alone, but both together.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

I'd check the state laws; there may be a section that states specifically that for a trailer weight of greater than xxx pounds you need a CDL. I'm not aware of such a law in VA, however.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
Ray H
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Who needs a CDL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredjacksonsan
I'd check the state laws; there may be a section that states specifically that for a trailer weight of greater than xxx pounds you need a CDL. I'm not aware of such a law in VA, however.
Its true that the states do their own thing as far as non commercial drivers licenses go but commercial licenses are now regulated by the Feds. Ive done alot of research on various state statutes and have determined that whomever writes most of their drivers manuals is on crack and/or illiterate. In some state manuals, CT comes to mind, the way its written, the ONLY person who can pull a trailer between 10000lbs and 26000lbs GVWR is a farmer. The drivers manual for TX has rules in it that their state statutes dont even mention. Its like the person that wrote the manual was just making $hit up.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
MikeCStig
AF Regular

If it's over 26000 lbs, you need a CDL.
If it has air brakes you need a CDL.
If you have a CDL, you will be in a lottery (you don't want to win this one) to be drug tested randomly at any time for no reason. If you fail, kiss your CDL goodbye.
These are federal laws. Many states have additional laws and some of them are difficult to interpret and/or ridiculous.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic