Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S40
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

S40 and the hype

Actually I am in the Nissan Maxima forum. I like my car but the ads for the S40 got my attention. A turbocharged Volvo using a T5, which is a large turbo in the aftermarket realm, is more than a little exciting. Then I read the car is a 4 cyl 1.9L. Ok, so Volvo is doing the Impreza WRX thing, i.e. take small engine and turbo the hell out of it! Then I read the HP is 170 and the car is FWD. Did I miss something? How do you market an underpowered sedan like a it's the next powerhouse with these numbers? Someone explain this to me, because I'm thinking there are Volkswagen rabbits out there waiting to call this car a sissy.

Oops, I found the answer on kbb.com! There is a new model of S40 due out in the Spring. A 2.5L 20valve 5cyl T5 turbocharged engine with 218hp. More power and almost 600lbs heavier also. The stats are more like the ads but with the 27k sticker, I'm still thinking a solid V6 powered ride is the way to go. Comments?
SkyTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
youngvr4
STREET RACING GURU

yeah i'd rather have a maxima
Old 03-13-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
rdollie
AF Regular

Re: S40 and the hype

Actually the top of the line 2004.5 S40 T5 starts just under $27k and as they pointed out at the test drive event it outperforms the much more expensive BMW 330 (the Volvo does 0-60 in 6.3 without torturing the clutch and a lot more power is a simple $1k chip away.)

More to the point, the T5 6-speed I drove was simply amazing for its price. The steering is simply extraordinary. The steering response is far superior to the M3, S4, and S60Rs I've driven. I'm pretty certain it's because of the electrically driven steering system which is unique to the T5 variant. The 6-speed tranny is lifted from the Volvo S60R but it is much easier to use when not broken in as the clutch is made for more of a sporty sedan than for a performance car (heavy abrupt uptake.)

I tried the optional 445-watt Dolby Pro-Logic II audio system and was blown away. In my VERY brief time with it I thought it sounded better than Logic7, Mark Levinson, and Volvo's other Dolby Pro-Logic setups (with the possible exception of the Dynaudio version.)

If you get a chance to test drive a T5 6-speed find some safe space to push it hard around corners - it's about as close as you will get to a go-cart this side of an Elise.

Also, keep in mind after these cars have been around for 6 months you will get the normal Volvo discounts including Overseas Delivery starting about June where you can save thousands in ordering the car for factory pickup (and they include airfare for two, first night hotel, shipping, insurance, eliminate U.S. destination charge when delivered to your local dealership, etc.)

If I were in the sub-$30k market for a new car this one would be a no-brainer at this point.

Thanks.

-rollie
rdollie@att.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyTorch
Actually I am in the Nissan Maxima forum. I like my car but the ads for the S40 got my attention. A turbocharged Volvo using a T5, which is a large turbo in the aftermarket realm, is more than a little exciting. Then I read the car is a 4 cyl 1.9L. Ok, so Volvo is doing the Impreza WRX thing, i.e. take small engine and turbo the hell out of it! Then I read the HP is 170 and the car is FWD. Did I miss something? How do you market an underpowered sedan like a it's the next powerhouse with these numbers? Someone explain this to me, because I'm thinking there are Volkswagen rabbits out there waiting to call this car a sissy.

Oops, I found the answer on kbb.com! There is a new model of S40 due out in the Spring. A 2.5L 20valve 5cyl T5 turbocharged engine with 218hp. More power and almost 600lbs heavier also. The stats are more like the ads but with the 27k sticker, I'm still thinking a solid V6 powered ride is the way to go. Comments?
rdollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #4
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: S40 and the hype

[quote=rdollie]Actually the top of the line 2004.5 S40 T5 starts just under $27k and as they pointed out at the test drive event it outperforms the much more expensive BMW 330 (the Volvo does 0-60 in 6.3 without torturing the clutch and a lot more power is a simple $1k chip away.)

In my opinion, the 330i had everyone scared to try. Then the consumer was duped into thinking that a 4 cyl sports coupe should cost $37k. Then along came the G35 with a 3.5L 260hp V6 priced in the high 20's. I'm actually glad that The S40 out does the 330i, even better at this price. The more often it happens, the less I have to deal with ego-driving, trash talking, snotty executive wannabe's with thier beemers. No disrespect to a well built engine, but thier customer base needs to be thrashed by a car cost 10 grand less - regularly.

L
SkyTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
S40turbo2008
AF Newbie

Re: S40 and the hype

OK guys, i have a 2001 volvo s40 t4. the stock boost is 8.7 pounds which is not bad and it gets about 170 stock hp. i put a homemade boost controller on my s40 and a boost guage to get the maximum boost wit out blowing it up. i now safely run 14lbs of boost which basically gave it like 50 to 60 hp. i also have cold air and some more secret home-made items. i race every weekend, and seriously, i can beat any maxima. oh and my 0-60 is 5.4 seconds. beat that nissans!!!
S40turbo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S40