Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
fanbelt
AF Newbie

Re: Calling all Slant six owners.....or had been's..

I bought a 75 Dodge Dart new, engine was fine although I did have to replace the starter before I sold it.

The car had problems, it came from factory with 2 left torsion bars (which the selling dealer was unable to figure out) and the front drum brakes totally stopped working if they got wet. When there was very much water on the streets, the car basically became undriveable because of the brakes.

A few years ago I bought a low mileage Volare wagon with the slant 6. It was totally awful. In 4 months it quite running and left me stranded 5 or 6 times. I was really disappointed in that one.
fanbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
beegeebers
AF Newbie

I had a '67 Plymouth Valiant with slant 6. EASY to work on and had only one fan belt to deal with. Have been thinking about getting another 'cause I'm tired of dealing with all the sensors and belts on the new cars--No Joke!!
Car had no power steering or power brakes but was very easy to drive and fewer things to go wrong. Got good gas mileage and had very few problems---Sigh!!!!
beegeebers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #18
car_kid_1
AF Newbie

I have a '65 Plymouth Valiant 100 with a 170 slant six... I bought the car more than three years ago with no idea how many miles were on the engine, and from having worked on it, I doubt it has ever been rebuilt. The engine started smoking a little bit every time i'd start it up cold about a year ago, but I am still able to get up to 26 MPG on the highway. The front end is definitely going out, but I haven't been able to find parts for this beast. It's my only daily driver, and has been very VERY reliable for 3 years running now. When the car finally falls apart beyond repair I am going to put the engine in a custom-built rock crawler that I'm working on. The engine has a surprising amount of torque, and I can still burn rubber in 1st and 2nd (I have a 3-on-the-tree).
car_kid_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #19
punkrockd
AF Newbie

i have a 70 4dr valiant. i have all the stuff for the super six swap. just have to take the intake man to get dipped and painted. needs paint and interior work.

but it runs freakin sweet.
punkrockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #20
jsbiebel
AF Newbie

When I was 18 I bought my dad's 76 Duster with the Slant Six. My first car, and I loved it. I did not have the money to repair her the way I should have, and eventually money problems forced me to sell it. I actually miss the thing, but I am glad she went to someone who could treat her better than I could. However, once I become rich I'm lookin' her up again!
jsbiebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
dino 2
AF Newbie

I currently have a 67 dart gt I bought for my daughter for her first car. Mistake . Apparently it is not cool enough for teenage females. Well good thing I have a younger son that wants it. I have rebuilt the entire front end with disc brakes,put manual sterring,an 8 3/4 rear for the bigger brakes & race probabalities. I'm currently working on the head so if anyone knows where to get valve springs for the /6 id appreciate it. Also I purchased the car from a dodge dealer near me for $800 running,needs work but runs fine.

Last edited by MagicRat; 02-05-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: the original yellow-green font colour was unreadable
dino 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #22
Twidget
AF Newbie

Wow Dino 2. Can hardly see your post.

Valve springs are available. Your doing head work, what's the plan? If your going for performance, read up on www.slantsix.org
There are many methods there that will wake up a stock engine.

I run a '74 Valiant. It's my Drag Racing car. Holley 4bbl, Offy, Feather Duster exhaust, Blaster II. Some head work as well, along with a distributor recurve.

My new engine is in the machine shop now. 4.440" stroke on a 3.485" bore. (2.2L 18cc Dish pistons.) Dutra Duals. Erson RV15M on Doug Dutra's reverse pattern grind.

Now that the racing season is over, I can get busy!

Good Thread!

Twidget
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #23
67Mopar
AF Newbie

I have an 85 D-100 with a slant-six... It's had to work pretty hard almost every day of it's life... but it still starts right up, and purr's like a kitten. It's about due for a rebuild after 22 years though, she's starting to get a little weak in the knees, and burning a little oil. The truck is going to be retired and restored this winter... it's paid it's dues, time to relax... the slant-six will be replaced with a 383 however.
67Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #24
sub006
AF Enthusiast

What does a Slant Six have in common with a Hemi, that small block Mopar V8s don't have?

A forged steel crankshaft, one more reason the bent sixes are unbreakable.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #25
Glenalth
AF Newbie

Not exactly the sportiest, but just picked up an 84 B250 with the 225. It's got some miles, but the engine is still smooth. I've been reading a lot about the engine, seems like it's got quite a bit of history.

Very interested in hearing peoples issues with them so I can keep this one running as long as possible.
Glenalth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
vanman2
AF Newbie

very cool , mine is a 1987 Dodge B150 van shorty slant six 3spd auto i have had this van since 1990 ~~~ just getting ready to do a resto ~~ cant seem to let it go
vanman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #27
bugman742002
AF Newbie

i just got a 67 valiant with the slant 6 in it. it runs great just needs a little bit of work to make it a great car.
bugman742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #28
plymouthcranbrook
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub006 View Post
What does a Slant Six have in common with a Hemi, that small block Mopar V8s don't have?

A forged steel crankshaft, one more reason the bent sixes are unbreakable.
Except that they went to a cast crank in 1976. Still a great motor(I have a 1980) but now you have to take a little better care of it.
plymouthcranbrook is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion