Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee
'88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee Partnership with: LadyNRedSi.com
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
tokes99
AF Enthusiast

N E1 know the size of the stock speakers in 89 crx si?

I know this is an audio ? but I thought I get a faster response here, I just want to know if I could put some 6x9s in the rear locations behind the panels. I did some measurements and it would be tight but I think they might fit. Maybe some of you can help a brother out here
tokes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
wickedplastikman
AF Enthusiast

Re: N E1 know the size of the stock speakers in 89 crx si?

i was thinking about rigging up the same setup. i think it will fit, but you might need to custom some brackets to hold the speaker. i dont know if they sell them.
wickedplastikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:47 PM   #3
Magik Si
AF Enthusiast

I'm not 100% on this but I don't think they are 6x9's...more like a 5x7...but don't hold me to that. You can actually get a 4x6 as well but I believe it is a 5x7.

Can someone else verify?

Jason
Old 12-18-2003, 06:46 PM   #4
tokes99
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Si
I'm not 100% on this but I don't think they are 6x9's...more like a 5x7...but don't hold me to that. You can actually get a 4x6 as well but I believe it is a 5x7.
Yeah I was thinking about some 5x7s first, then I went to crutchfield.com to which they said the largest that would fit is 6 1/2 which prompted me to take measurements. Any other comment/suggestions?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:57 PM   #5
V-K
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to V-K

Check out the back, I have the 4D but with a few mods, went from 6 1/2 to 6x9's real easy. Thanks to Dremel, and a little bit of aluminum.

Custom brackets for a rex shouldn't be to hard.
V-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:53 AM   #6
Killa_CRX
When Civics Attack!

The stock speaker sizes are 6.5
it is possible to fit 6X9's back there... but there's not much point to doing so since you really don't get much more sound quality out of the 6X9's then you do the 6.5's..... sure you get a 'little' more bass, but not much.
I always suggest good component sets for your speakers, and then just get yourself a good sub for the bass.

Next time I have a CRX, I'm going to put some 8" subs in the rear speaker locations and keep all my sound stage up front.
Even now in my Civic, I took out the rear speakers so as to keep good sound staging up front, where it's supposed to be.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:15 PM   #7
tokes99
AF Enthusiast

By component speakers do you mean tweeters? I have always thought 6x9s gave better lows than the round 6.5 and less
Old 12-19-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
Magik Si
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: N E1 know the size of the stock speakers in 89 crx si?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokes99
By component speakers do you mean tweeters? I have always thought 6x9s gave better lows than the round 6.5 and less
What he means is that the speaker would have both a midrange driver and a tweeter built in...the majority of midrange component drivers give off enough bass that you will be quite happy...unless of course you are going for major "thump"...but a bass in the rear would handle that.

Sound waves are "round" not oval...thus IMO 6.5" will always outperform 6x9's.

If you put a nice "quality" SQ 6.5 in the rear and front...with some form of bass driver farther in the rear...you will be quite happy! IMHO

Jason
Old 12-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #9
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
i have 5x7 turned on an angle in the back of my crx, they fit fine.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
crxlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 12:19 AM   #10
Killa_CRX
When Civics Attack!

Re: Re: Re: N E1 know the size of the stock speakers in 89 crx si?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magik Si
Sound waves are "round" not oval...thus IMO 6.5" will always outperform 6x9's.
Sound waves are not shapes... they are waves... they are created by the surface area of a speaker moving back and forth... the more surface area on a speaker, louder the sound that is produced.... low frequencys produced by subwoofers require the most air to be moved at any one time, thus more surface area is needed to move the air. Low frequency sounds move in all directions and right through most surfaces, therefore a subwoofer can be put just about anywhere and still be heard fairly well. Speakers for higher frequencys need to be more directed to the place where the sound wants to be heard.... Enter the component speakers.... a set of speakers containing a mid range driver and a tweeter with a crossover (sepperating the high frequency sounds from the low and sending the proper sounds to the more proper speaker) connecting them to the source unit... makes for more acurate sounds and music.

Does that help you at all?
Old 12-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #11
tokes99
AF Enthusiast

Yeah it clarifies it somewhat, so what I think you mean by component speakers are those 2,3,4-way speakers? I am not trying to win any competitions just want a decent sound na' mean.

On a quick side note what are people's opinions of the non-brand name joints, can performance be estimated from the specs?
Old 12-20-2003, 01:40 AM   #12
Killa_CRX
When Civics Attack!

Re: Re: N E1 know the size of the stock speakers in 89 crx si?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokes99
Yeah it clarifies it somewhat, so what I think you mean by component speakers are those 2,3,4-way speakers? I am not trying to win any competitions just want a decent sound na' mean.
2 way, 3 way, 4 way and other speakers such as that aren't what I mean... those are just your regular every day speakers you could pull off the shelf at walmart or some place like that. They combine a speaker with a 'tweeter' or several smaller tweeter type speakers stacked in front of one another. Really not as good as producing sound as having seperate speakers for seperate sounds.
so no... what I mean by component speakers are conprised of At least one mid range speaker (ranging in size from 4" to 8") a tweeter, and an electronic cross over that takes the signal coming from the CD player, amp or whatever you're running through, and splits the signal between the speakers... the mid range driver getting the lower pitch sounds, and the tweeter getting the really high pitch sounds.
Whether you want to win audio competitions or not, every since I started using component sets instead of full range speakers, I've been happy and never looked back.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:24 AM   #13
tokes99
AF Enthusiast

Ok, I got it. But if that is the case an amp would be a must right, because that would be at least 6 "components" 4 speakers, and 2 tweeters. Could a head unit alone power a setup like this? Sorry about all these ?s homie thank you for actually trying to answer my ? without being an @ss or condescending.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:20 AM   #14
Magik Si
AF Enthusiast

Head unit usually can power four speakers with sufficient power...once you go beyond that and especially with a sub you will need an amp/amps depending on what you are planning to drive...

Once you have an idea of 'what' drivers/sub driver you're using, we can aid in giving you an idea of what power you'll need...

Jason
Old 12-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #15
wickedplastikman
AF Enthusiast

head units usually are like 50x4. but thats peak and not rms (or continuous). my 6.5s handle 60w rms. and i am not sure what 6x9s handle but i am sure it is more. the point is, if you want really decent sound, get an amp. it doesn't have to be a big amp. even if you get a 100w amp, it is still pushing more sound than the deck. i am going to try to keep my 6.5s in the front and see what i can do to get the 6x9s in the back. with an amp and in my crx, that should sound pretty decent. subs weigh too much and take up too much space. i dont want to add any unnecessary pounds to my car.
wickedplastikman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '88 - '91 Civic | CRX | Wagon | Shuttlee