Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 01:31 AM   #1
BadAceGolfr21
AF Newbie

Question Aftermarket audio system in a '96 Jeep GC ltd. w/ infiniti system.

I have a '96 JGC limited with a infiniti system. Is it possible to keep the stock amplifier with an aftermarket (going to be a Sony MP3 player) receiver? I've read that the wiring to the amplifier, is, or can be quite an enigma when messing with it. How would that work? Would the amplifier wires hook up to the receiver wires and not to the PREAMP wires? Would it still sound as great as it sounds? Or would I have to intstall a whole new amp for the stock speakers?
BadAceGolfr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #2
bryanbrutherford
AF Regular

if you just use a wiring harness and don't try to re run any wires you should be fine.
bryanbrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #3
AZFlyingDiver
AF Enthusiast

Re: Aftermarket audio system in a '96 Jeep GC ltd. w/ infiniti system.

Bryan's right. I have a 96JGC that I replaced the factory unit with a new Kenwood one and was able to use the factory Infinity amp. Just get the right wiring harness to wire your new Sony unit to - then you can plug it right in to the factory harness. Really easy. You can get a harness at most electronics or mobile audio store. Also check out www.crutchfield.com.
AZFlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 05:53 PM   #4
Dsilver
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Dsilver Send a message via MSN to Dsilver

In the long run, you should replace it and get a new amp, speakers, subs etc... and get a bangin' stereo system
Old 05-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
leowolf
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Aftermarket audio system in a '96 Jeep GC ltd. w/ infiniti system.

circut city replaced my unit for $170 with an alpine cd & reciever using the old amp in 15 minutes, but ive got to get speakers now cause there poopy.
leowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
AZFlyingDiver
AF Enthusiast

Yup - changing out the head unit but keeping the Inifinity amp is easy. As far as the speakers, I changed mine out to Infinity Kappa 62.5 (with aimable tweeters). Installation was a snap and the sound difference was AMAZING. About $150 a pair. Next upgrade is a sub, but I'll use a separate amp for the sub. Any suggestions anyone?? I was thinking of going with the MTX Thunderform, custom fitted to my 96 JGC.
AZFlyingDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #7
lukep
AF Newbie

yeah, just make sure to also hook up the amp turn on wire from the new deck to both the power antenna and the power amp turn on in the Jeep, or when you switch from radio to cd mode on your deck, the power amp will turn off, cause the power antenna will retract.

I just thought i'd throw that out there cause I've seen people not do that, and think they're cd player is broken when it is not.

I also would suggest bypassing the infinity amp if possible, but it requires running more wires through your jeep. I don't like the infinity amp cause I can't find a way to adjust gain on it. I only turn up my cd player about 4-5 volume notches out of 30, and it's as loud as I'd ever need to crank it. This might sound alright, but sucks if you hook up a sub also, cause you can't turn up your deck loud enough to get the level that the sub amp needs to pound hard. I found that wiring the deck straight to the speakers, and bypassing the infinity amp fixed this for me, but took a lot of time.
lukep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
taxman9
AF Regular

Hello, Ive read through all the threads involving swapping the head unit/amp etc and couldnt find the info Im looking for. I have a 96 JGC and am installing an after marker Pioneer head unit with Sirius radio. I have the harness off the new pioneer wired up to go into the factory dash connectors in the Jeeo. However I have two wires that were connected to my factory radio that I do not know what to do with, They are a pair (one purple and one grey) and have their own harness and spot on the back of the radio but have no reference to what they do. Can I just leave these unhooked? What are they for? Any suggestions would be great, THANKS!
taxman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
xj31
AF Enthusiast

that was probably the connector for the steering wheel controls
xj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
taxman9
AF Regular

Hmmm, my Jeep only has cruise control on the steering wheel??? I finished swapping out the stereo without these wires and everything sounds fine. Anyone know about upgrading the Amp? Where I wouldnt have to do much customization?? I have RCA outputs that im using now to another amp that powers the sub, but Id like to upgrade the Infinity 2 ohm to a four ohm without hacking everything up??? Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #11
BLAZT
AF Regular

To AZflyingdiver :

Yeah MTX is a good brand nothing wrong with their equipment. But if you really want to have a pounding sub system I would recommend going with Rockford Fosgate or Eclipse. I myself have 4 ( 10 In) Fosgate HE2 on my JGC limited. You do need a good amp also for running those subs. Check out both brands and see for yourself what sounds the best.
BLAZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
JGC97
AF Newbie

I thought replacing this system was a bit more complex because the existing speakers are 2 ohm, and are real hard to find to replace. So if you want to replace the speakers, you need to replace the factory infinity amp, right?
JGC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 PM   #13
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97
I thought replacing this system was a bit more complex because the existing speakers are 2 ohm, and are real hard to find to replace. So if you want to replace the speakers, you need to replace the factory infinity amp, right?
Nope. Only if you replace the stereo do you need to scrap that amp.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
taxman9
AF Regular

I replaced the rear speakers with new infinity's a couple of months ago, and just recently replaced the head unit with an after market Pioneer. My question(s) is should I just bypass ht e Infinity amp? If so I know I need to synch up the wires to the amp with the ones from the amp(Ive seen the color code in a post before), would I need to do anything else? Like Unhook the remote switch, or disconnect the ground, etc? Second question are there any aftermatket or newer infinity stock amps that are 4 ohm and I can plug the existing harnesses into it (ie upgrade the amp instead of bypass it)? Thanks!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #15
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Aftermarket audio system in a '96 Jeep GC ltd. w/ infiniti system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman9
I replaced the rear speakers with new infinity's a couple of months ago, and just recently replaced the head unit with an after market Pioneer. My question(s) is should I just bypass ht e Infinity amp? If so I know I need to synch up the wires to the amp with the ones from the amp(Ive seen the color code in a post before), would I need to do anything else? Like Unhook the remote switch, or disconnect the ground, etc? Second question are there any aftermatket or newer infinity stock amps that are 4 ohm and I can plug the existing harnesses into it (ie upgrade the amp instead of bypass it)? Thanks!
Yes,no,no,no. All OEM plugs are different than those of aftermarket. Seriously, after you bypass the amp, you won't need anything else.
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Grand Cherokee | Grand Cherokee SRT8