Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > LeMans
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
johnwsimon
AF Newbie

Question Motor

I have a 72' LeMans w/ no motor. I was considering a 572 BB f/ Chevy but am not sure if the alterations would be worth the time or money any suggestions or advice?
johnwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Motor

Is this for "all out" racing or for street?

For a street engine, it's pretty tough to beat the Pontiac V8. There's the common misconception that one must use a Chevy engine to make a Pontiac "run". GTO did NOT earn a reputation for losing... With all the aftermarket support now available, it's easier to build a 600 HP Pontiac than it is to build a 600 HP BBC. If someone disagrees. they're behind the times. We (CVMS) have several cars out there going low 11s in street trim, and completely "drivable". The Pontiac is particularly suited to street use, as it makes it's power at lower RPM levels than most other high performance engine families. It will generally make higher torque numbers than horsepower, too. If you have a big budget, you can have it all! There are aftermarket blocks, heads, cranks, etc. at the same level as anything offered for the BBC. We've done a couple 505s that make more usable power than the 572 "pump gas" crater GM Performance is pushing, and for about $1K less than they sell it.

Get a copy of Jim Hand's book "How to Build Max-performance Pontiac V8s", published by SA Designs. It will clear up any misconceptions you may have.

That being said, if you MUST have a Chevy, the BB is the only choice that will give good performance in a heavier car such as this. A well-built 496 or 502 will smoke any of the craters. BBC is a bit heavier than the Pontiac, so changing the front springs to SS396 springs is called for, and handling will deteriorate due to the increased "nose weight". Headers that fit Chevelle will fit the LeMans. Make certain you have good brakes, too.

If you DO go the "Chevy route", be prepared to take on Pontiacs at the track, on a "mission" to prove the Pontiac's worth. No small task! (to beat them) Pontiac "hobbyists" will also have comments about morphadizing (yes, made that one up...) a perfectly good Pontiac.

It's your money. Spend it how you see fit. Just be sure to be as educated as possible about your choices.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
johnwsimon
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Motor

Only reason for leaning towards the BBC was for lack of knowledge on the pontiac V-8's. This would mostly be for street but with enough power to take out to the strip every once in a while and have some fun, maybe even win a couple here and there. Unfortunately, I don't have a very big budget at all, so this will be a piece by piece kind of thing, especially considering that I know building it is a lot cheaper than buying a crate and I can also get a lot more power out of my money.I will look into the book you mentioned and do some more research on the pontiac power plants. Thank you for your knowledge and guidance Jim.

Thank's again,
John
johnwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Dennis321
AF Newbie

Re: Motor

I would stick with the Pontiac engine. It's way cooler. Lots of people throw Chevy's into anything andeverything. Keep some of the originality, and you can build a nasty pontiac engine anyway. Good luck to you
Dennis321 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > LeMans