Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 08:40 PM   #1
INeedSpeed
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to INeedSpeed
Cutting control arm safe?

i recently had my 95 civic ex lowered and also a camber kit, after they installed it i took it home, jacked it up and took a look under there. they had cut the control arm almost completely down to the big ball bearing leaving barely any supporting metal between it. I assume they did this to clear a part of the inner fender that sticks out but i cant figure out why they didnt just cut part of the inner fender for clearance, but thats not the point.. my question is can this control arm break, crack, snap etc. if i hit a big enough hole or something and do the aftermarket control arms allow more clearance or will hold up better cut than a stock one, any suggestions are welcome, i just dont want it breaking and i put my tire through my fender!!!!
INeedSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:01 AM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Generaly speaking any cutting of any suspension part should be avoided.

But its hard to tell exactly what was cut, and how much was taken back from your discribtion.

Is it possible for you to post a pic? or find a pic on the net of the same part and mark on it with photoshop of similar where its been cut?

oh, and Ill move this to the tech forum for you as well.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:22 AM   #3
INeedSpeed
AF Newbie

here is a very crude pic, but if u know what a control arm looks like u get the idea
Old 04-30-2002, 02:29 AM   #4
INeedSpeed
AF Newbie

here is a very crude pic, but if u know what a control arm looks like u get the idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca.jpg (8.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 04-30-2002, 03:07 AM   #5
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
And I assume this the upper control arm? (since its the only one close to the wing, (fender? silly yanks ).

I don't know how safe it is, but if it was my car I would not be happy.

It will certianly have weaken the structure for the control arm. However most of the forces on the upper arm are up and down.

Just how low did you go though? and what sort of shop did the work?
It really is a rather dodgy thing to do, and they should have at least told you about it first.

I recomend you take the car back, and tell them its totaly unacceptable, and that you want it fixed.
Since replacing the arm means raising your car again. (which I think you should do, but its your car, and if you want it that low its up to you) I suggest you ask them to pay some of the cost towards proper custom arms that will work with the car that low. And then get them to fit them.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:08 AM   #6
kane2g
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to kane2g
BTW that is not a ball bearing but a BALL JOINT.
I would personally SUE THEM!!!!
If the ball joint fails and falls out, you better hope you're not on highway or at high speed, because it will cause total loss of control and serious damage. Seen it happen!
The fact that they did it is very fishy, the fact they didnt tell you is very scary! I wouldnt go back to that shop for any more installs. You better stay away from them.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
INeedSpeed
AF Newbie

I talked to the shop this morning and they are willing to give me 2 new upper control arms, obviously i am not going to get them installed there, but what are other options... can the inner wheel well be cut to provide more clearance? how should i get these new arms installed? my car is only lowered like 2"... please help, i am very nervous about driving my damn car now.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:16 PM   #8
Tofuboy
AF Regular

Hum.....you had a chance to get into an accident and total your car, then sue them for alot of $$, then get yourself a Ferrari or something (just a thought).

Oh well, now it is your liability to get them fix since the shop gave you two new control arms and you don't want them to install it.

If you only lowered your car 2" (probably a little more than 3 degree negative camber), I am guessing you are using the sportlines springs. You should able to fix most of the camber with just an after market camber kit.

You can get a camber kit and install it with the control arm yourself or just let the shop do it since they can fix it for free because it's their fault to begin with (I don't think they will be stupid enough to cut them again, but not sure about screwing with your other stuff).

The fastest driver is the one with skills

95 Civic EX
83 Toyota Starlet
07 Ducati Monster S4RS
Tofuboy is offline   Reply With Quote