Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 08:29 PM   #1
Thebigbird
AF Newbie

Unhappy Engine Light ON

Hi,
I purchase a 94 Maxima GXE recently, and the engine light is on, when I sent it to the mechanic, they decode the ECU to be flashing long, long long, short short short, short short short short, short short short short short. In other words, it seems to be going 1,2,3,4,5. The mechanic claim the oxygen sensor is faulty, but is it possible that other parts are faulty as well?
what does the 1,2,3,4,5 flashes mean?
thanks for replying
Thebigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
lordrashmi
AF Enthusiast

Shouldn't your mechanic have a real diagnostic computer to give you a real diagnostic code?
lordrashmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
tdaily
AF Regular

He's right you'd think the service guy could give you a specific cause and computer readout. Anyway, if it is the MAF sensor I can tell you the cheapest ones you'll find are on e-bay. Just do a search for "Maxima air flow" and you're sure to get some results. I have one now I'll be listing within the next week or so.

Tdaily
tdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:47 AM   #4
NJMAXSELTD
AF Enthusiast

Re: Engine Light ON

Quote:
Originally posted by Thebigbird
they decode the ECU to be flashing long, long long, short short short, short short short short, short short short short short.
03 12 is what that means.

99 SE LIMITED - A few changes here and there but most of all SPOTLESS!
NJMAXSELTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:23 AM   #5
Thebigbird
AF Newbie

thanks for the help,
the mechanic told me its something to do with the oxygen sensor. anyway they replace it, charge me a bomb, and the light is still there. they say its the computer memory still holding the data.
they told me to take off the battery connector and let it to discharge for 24 hours to clear the computer memory.
So i drive around a little, and after about 5 minutes, the light went off, and it has never went on till now.
is it possible they have merely reset the computer, and not solve the problem?
Thebigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:25 AM   #6
97wvmax
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 97wvmax
could have tried that to make sure it gave ya same code. but seems like its fixed anyway/
97wvmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:46 AM   #7
hungtdao
AF Newbie

Re: Engine Light ON

I have found this very helpful site, it might help you to figure out how to decode. I experienced that the Nissan Dealer almost ripped me off over $700. You can either figure out or reset, if the light is turned on again, that means you need to have your car repaired.

http://home.earthlink.net/~maxfaq/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigbird
Hi,
I purchase a 94 Maxima GXE recently, and the engine light is on, when I sent it to the mechanic, they decode the ECU to be flashing long, long long, short short short, short short short short, short short short short short. In other words, it seems to be going 1,2,3,4,5. The mechanic claim the oxygen sensor is faulty, but is it possible that other parts are faulty as well?
what does the 1,2,3,4,5 flashes mean?
thanks for replying
hungtdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:09 PM   #8
hungtdao
AF Newbie

Make sure you have read the flash correctly. Long for first digit, short for second digit. So, your ECM code is 03 12, if the website I gave out in my early post does not have this code info, then you probably have to buy Haynes Maxima Repair Book. This book costs around $14 on internet. It contains a lot of info to repair your Maxima. Sometimes repair a minor thing can save you a bunch of monies from mechanic or dealer. I save my self over $240 to change ignition coils. Changing coils or 02 sensors that job can be done by most anyone. If there is Auto Zone shop in your local area, you can have them check your code. They offer a free scan service in Dallas, Texas. The website that I posted earlier also give the instruction of how to decode and clear codes your self. If a mechanic, who fixed your car, did not do a right job, the light will soon be ON again.
hungtdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 10:23 PM   #9
Spooner
AF Newbie

Try this it worked for me for free.

Here's the link:http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35