Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 07:47 AM   #46
GTS-4 Ben
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to GTS-4 Ben
I believe it is a little microphone. It picks up abnormal engine sound.
I have seen some where people have recorded their engine sound and looked at the knock. Quite interesting.

Ben
Old 11-20-2001, 12:52 PM   #47
YCEE
AF Newbie

Ah I got the picture, so the car will misfire if it run rich. I remember sometime ago I changed a fuel filter and set the fuel pressure to 3.2bar, and the car was misfiring, set it back to 3.0 and it is normal again. So does it mean than any richer point from misfire will cause the engine to stall too.?
YCEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 01:04 PM   #48
YCEE
AF Newbie

If we get severe detonation, the EGT will rise up very high I guess, is that why we install a EGT gauge in our car?

By the way, what can cause the fuel to pre-ignite??
YCEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 07:10 PM   #49
WDRacing
AF Newbie

EGT is used to keep the mixture at a safe temp. What I mean is, if the A/F gauge says your running at a good percentage but your temps are to high. Then you need to get them down even if it means adding more fuel and running slightly rich.

Fuel can be burn early for several different reasons. Your cylinder temps are to high and your spark plug is getting to hot and igniting the fuel all by itself. You may need to go to a colder plug setting. Deposits built up on the pistons and valve train can cause detonation. Any sharp edges on the piston valve seats or head. Having your timing advanced to much. Running to much boost and leaning out the mixture. Bad gas. A really hot day when running the same amount of boost you would on a cold day. The list goes on but I'm sure you get the hint.

GET A KNOCK SENSOR

WD
Old 11-21-2001, 04:50 PM   #50
MFX_R33
AF Newbie

Sorry I have been reading through this thread and I have come in late.
R32's (RB20DET's) can run more boost standard than the R33. From talking to others it seems that the R32 can run about 12-13psi standard to the 10-11 standard for the R33. I believe the R32 has slightly lower compression to facilitate this.
As for getting an aftermarket wastegate, this is only really nessicary on big turbos which don't have an internal one. I have heard about people welding closed the interal wastegate and using and external, but to do this you need a new exhaust manifold and generally big dollars.
Anyway that's my 2c worth.

Jeff.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #51
nguyharry
AF Newbie

Re: Detonation!

Hey guys, just been wondering, ive just rb20de+T my r32, it drives fine while normal driving, but when i put the foot down itl start detonating ive been told, its some sort of blat blat sound., doesnt sound good too. just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with this too ? any suggestions ? ive changed to a gtst radiator, gtst injectors, gtst ecu, and got a front mount on it, havnt changed fuel pump yet but could it be a possible chance because of the fuel pump ?
nguyharry is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance