Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
lmei007
AF Newbie

break it and then feel vibration in high speed

I have a 1996 toyota camry. I changed the front brake pad three yrs ago. Recently I feel the vehicle vibrate when I apply brake when the speed is high. It is fine when speed is lower. There is no noise.

I bought this car four yrs ago. The previous owner did not change the brake pad for long time. So I changed it but only front.

what's the possible reasons for this vibration? It is fine before. It happened 1 week ago.

thanks,

Last edited by lmei007; 07-17-2009 at 09:13 AM.
lmei007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Re: break it and then feel vibration in high speed

This is the classic sign of warped front brake rotors. They need to be cut (turned on a brake lathe) if there is enough thickness left on them, or replaced. If your car has rear drum brakes and you normally use the emergency brake, this condition can be verified by pulling up on the emergency brake when driving at the speed(s) at which the pulsation occurs. If you feel the pulsation in your hand, then it is actually the rear drums in the rear brakes that are warped. If you don't feel it, then it is obviously the front brakes that are warped. You can't do this test if the car has rear disc brakes. However, to verify the warping is in the front brakes, the next time it happens notice if you also feel vibration in the steering wheel. This is indication that the problem is with the front brakes.

Michael
Mike Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
lmei007
AF Newbie

Thank you Mike.

Yes, I feel obvious vibration in steering wheel and also I can feel the pulsation sometime.

Do you think it is an issue we need to look at it immediately or wait to few weeks later. We have planned drive it to Niagara Falls from Boston this Sunday, which is about 9 hrs driving. Do you think it is ok or we need to change to another car, which is smaller in our case.

thanks,
lmei007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
GSS123
AF Regular

You can make the trip without any problems. When you get back take the rotors into a automotive parts stores they will turn them down for you. I usually take them in Saturday morning, go eat breakfast at one my favorite spots then go back and pick them up. Our local NAPA store charges $20 a pair to turn down. You will have to replace the disk pads when you have the rotors turned. You will find several threads on how to do a brake job on this forum or you can watch film on how to do it on YouTube or buy a Haynes repair manual for your car and do the job yourself. Your out of pocket costs for a front brake job using good quality disk pads will be around $70 if you do all the work except turning down the rotors
GSS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Imei007,

Yes it is stilll safe to drive the car. I would address this problem shortly after returning as the pulsation will continue to get worse as time passes and the rotors warp even more. It makes for an uncomfortable and disconcerting ride.

If you want to learn how to do this work yourself as GSS123 suggested, there are Toyota factory service manuals that are stickied at the top of this forum's home page, that are available for free downloading. Download the one for the generation 3 Camry. Generation 3 was 1992-1996.

Mike
Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
JOET/CAMRY
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gerber View Post
If your car has rear drum brakes and you normally use the emergency brake, this condition can be verified by pulling up on the emergency brake when driving at the speed(s) at which the pulsation occurs.
Don't forget to hold in the button on the end of the emergency brake handle if doing this test. If not the rear brakes could lock up on you.

JOET/CAMRY
JOET/CAMRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Mike Gerber
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOET/CAMRY View Post
Don't forget to hold in the button on the end of the emergency brake handle if doing this test. If not the rear brakes could lock up on you.

JOET/CAMRY
Good point.

Mike
Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
jdmccright
The RustBuster

I'll also add that after the front brakes have been repaired, don't forget to readjust the rear brakes...ideally they should be disassembled, cleaned, relubed, and readjusted so that they are working with the fronts to stop the car.

The rear drums provide 30% of the stopping power but if they are not properly adjusted, the fronts do all the work, causing the warped rotors.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista