Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > Spitfire
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
tom's kickin spit
AF Newbie

Question is my spit a mk2 or mk3???

hello, i'm new at restoring cars-this is my first car-and i'm confused. I don't know what type my spit is, a mkII or mkIII. I have been searching through numerous triumph websites and haven't found an answer. I need to know because i don't want to skrew up when i order parts. It is registered as a '67, but was built in august(i think) of 1965.

the commision number is: FD13410 L
Paint: 33
Trim: 11

and also, what does this mean: BS AU 48 1965
tom's kickin spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 01:45 AM   #2
DurangoDave
AF Regular

mk2 or mk3

Unless someone has switched the commission plate, you have a 1967 Mk3, left hand drive. A car manufactured for the US market would be FDU, so you have something non-US market, and left hand drive.

The color "33" is confusing, no color 33 is listed until late 1970, when it is called "New Tan". Is the stamping on the plate perhaps smudged or gouged and maybe the number isn't really 33?

Trim 11 means the interior was black.

Spitfires tended to be sold many times and often passed through many owners. There was a lot of swapping among parts cars just to keep one running, especially years ago when parts were a lot harder to find. Your best bet on buying parts is to go by the numbers that are on the individual major components, not just be the commission number, unless you absolutely know it to be correct. For example, there is a commission number, a body number, an engine number, a gearbox number, and a differential number. Often, through swapping, these won't match up, and you'll have say, a 1970 gearbox mated to an earlier body, etc.

The regular parts houses like SpitBits, Victoria British, BPNorthwest, Roadster Factory, PRI, Rimmer Brothers etc all have this tabulated, so it's very easy to talk to their parts people about exactly what you have and what you need when you order parts.

I don't know what BS AU 48 1965 means.

If you really want to get good information about these cars, switch from this forum to something called Totally Triumph Network.

Good luck.

Dave
Westminster, MD USA
1970 Mk3
DurangoDave is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Triumph > Spitfire