Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #16
Stylez850
AF Newbie

Re: codes P0171, P0174 Lincoln LS V6"

Okay I found and changed the PCV valve and elbow. Man, that elbow was ate up!!! On the bottom of it there was a hole the size of a dime. The Dealer tried to to charge me $29 for a little rubber elbow so I ended up just getting a 90 degree angle hose with the same diameter as the one I pulled off. Boy, I wish I could slap the person that gave the okay on letting this engine go in this car. After I took the manifold off, about 30 minutes in to looking under that and fighting with all the tubes I realized that I had to take off that other middle peice with the gaskets and the PCV valve was under there. Well now that I changed it that car run GREAT!! Thank you Rod. I couldn't have done it with out you. You'd think the dealer would be able to tell me about that PCV valve and the elbow, BUT NO!!. So thank you I appreciate it.
Stylez850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #17
shorod
SHO No Mo

You're more than welcome. Actually, thank the forum. That's a tip I learned from following this forum.

Glad to hear you have the car running well again!

Enjoy!

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #18
dhinch
AF Newbie

Do you mean you removed the Upper Intake Manifold and Gaskets, and then removed the Lower Manifold to get to the PCV valve? Let me know, doing the change in two days.
dhinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
shorod
SHO No Mo

Yes, on the V6 you have to take apart much of the top half of the engine. The upper and lower intake manifolds, fuel rails, throttle cables, etc. all have to come off to get to the elbow. Fortunately, if you know your way around the garage and under the hood of cars, this is pretty straight forward of a job and not as bad as it may look and sound.

-Rod
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
dhinch
AF Newbie

Eh, I just put the Intake manifold back on (had to swap the water pump)... Its the fuel rails and lower manifold that I am dreading.
dhinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #21
KirkW
AF Newbie

I'm looking at the same issue on a friend's 2001 Lincoln LS w/3.0L V6. Same trouble codes, same symptom of a wavering idle speed that occasionally stalls.

It's almost certainly a leak in/around the PCV valve - if I unplug and cap the vacuum line at the rear of the engine, the idle immediately smooths out.

My question is this: where exactly is this infamous rubber elbow?

Looking at the rear of the engine I can see a rubber fitting to which the black plastic vacuum pipe from the throttle-body connects. This straight-rubber fitting is attached to a metal pipe that curves 90-degrees and disappears under the intake manifold plumbing. Is the rubber elbow at the other end of this metal pipe, attached directly to the PCV valve itself? Is this a dealer-only item? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before removing the upper- and lower-intake manifolds.
KirkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #22
shorod
SHO No Mo

Welcome to the forum!

Stylez850 describes pretty well how buried the PCV elbow is in post #16 above. You won't be able to see it from the top of the engine if the intake manifold is removed. If you'd like a picture of where it's at, send me a Private Message with an e-mail address that can accept JPEG attachments and I'll e-mail you some photos I took during the process.

-Rod
Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #23
Quik_LS
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Quik_LS

see my post #3 - all LS V6 will has this problem - it very very very common.
#0018 ESP SCCA solo2

LLSOC.com - President
see my mean LS
see my Lotus Esprit - Quiker
Quik_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #24
slutxbag_siouxsie
AF Newbie

My check engine light came on and my car started to stall out as well. Took it to Advance Auto Parts and had the codes pulled. Throwing the same codes. Unmetered air. At first I thought it was dirty O2 sensors or something to do with them. A mechanic told me it was probably the idle air control. Cleaned it. Gasket was fine. Cleared the codes, and the light came back on the next day. I finally took it to a shop. Spent $100 to get a smoke test, and the intake manifold was the problem. The upper intake manifold (plenum) gaskets were shot. It's between 50 and 60 bucks for the kit at an auto parts store. Also, what I did notice was there were two spots for bolts on the bottom part of the manifold, but not on the top. It's like they weren't drilled. That's exactly where it was leaking too. I'm wondering if this was a recall?

2002 Lincoln LS V6
85,000 miles
slutxbag_siouxsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #25
firmbiz94
AF Newbie

I have an 05 Lincoln Ls V6 and im throwing out codes indicating bad coils. I understand that i need to remove the intake manifold to get to the passenger side coils and plugs. can anyone give me a few pointers or where to start with this repair. a step by step breakdown woudld be nice. Thanks
firmbiz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #26
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbiz94
I have an 05 Lincoln Ls V6 and im throwing out codes indicating bad coils. I understand that i need to remove the intake manifold to get to the passenger side coils and plugs. can anyone give me a few pointers or where to start with this repair. a step by step breakdown woudld be nice. Thanks
If you'd like the factory service manual steps for this repair, send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that will accept PDF attachments along with the request. I can send you the procedure for a 2002 V6 which will vary a bit from your 2005 since the 2005 has throttle by wire rather than a cable like the 2002 has.

-Rod
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 PM   #27
daveLS
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod
If you'd like the factory service manual steps for this repair, send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that will accept PDF attachments along with the request. I can send you the procedure for a 2002 V6 which will vary a bit from your 2005 since the 2005 has throttle by wire rather than a cable like the 2002 has.

-Rod
Hi Rod, I'm a new member and am having the same problem with my 2002 Lincoln LS V6. Rough idle when cold, if I spray starter fluid around the upper intake manifold the idle changes speed so it must be a vacuum leak. I would really appreciate it if you could send me the PDF's for the breather elbow replacement, also I read you may have some pictures of the job documented. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
daveLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #28
shorod
SHO No Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveLS
Hi Rod, I'm a new member and am having the same problem with my 2002 Lincoln LS V6. Rough idle when cold, if I spray starter fluid around the upper intake manifold the idle changes speed so it must be a vacuum leak. I would really appreciate it if you could send me the PDF's for the breather elbow replacement, also I read you may have some pictures of the job documented. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
Welcome to the forum!

The files should be in your inbox.

-Rod
Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #29
daveLS
AF Newbie

I completed the replacements of the PCV elbow item 6767 of the PCV system in Ford's exploded assembly view. I also needed to replace all the intake gaskets because of their condition, if you're going to tear down the engine this much you might as well. I also changed the spark plugs while the upper intake was off since you can't get to the right side head with it on. I found the inner gasket was leaking oil into the spark plugs wells on 2 cylinders which would eventually fail the coil pack so I changed the valve cover gaskets as well. I changed the cabin filter which eliminated a slight whistle while the blower fan was running.

Overall the hardest part was disconneting the fuel rail wiring harness because the plug is in the back of the motor and you can only get 1 hand in there. Since I got it back together it runs smooth as silk and probably saved me $600 at least.
daveLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #30
shorod
SHO No Mo

For the amount of work you did, I'm comfortable saying you saved yourself well over $600 (compared with paying a shop to do the work).

Thanks for the follow-up on your successful repair, and congratulations.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ