Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 04:03 AM   #1
silverado92
AF Newbie

Question olds 442 1973

I am planning to purchase a Olds 442 from 1973. It is the standard 350 4 barrel engine in Holstein trim. Can anybody give me some advice concerning specific bad points / good points of this 1973 model and does anybody know what the Holstein trim means.

Thanks in advance for your advise!!

Melvin

Silverado '92
Mustang '79
silverado92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
SeventyOlds 442
AF Newbie

ewwwww 73 not a good year for hp or styling make sure you're getting a good deal on this. The 1973 model was just an option on a cutlass so make sure its not a clone since it would be an easy one.
SeventyOlds 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: olds 442 1973

Those '73's were the first year for the "Collonade" coupe, shared with other GM divisions.

SeventyOlds is correct, although you should be very concerned about overall condition.
Get the best possible one you can find because you won't get your money back on it if you have to spend a lot of money fixing it.
However, the 442's should appreciate (slowly) in value in the future.
Although performance was down vs. the 68-72 models, their fit and finish was better. They were heavier, quieter and more comfortable.
I had a '73 Buick Regal, a very similar model. It was fast enough, good handling, for the age, and extremely strong and durable.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #4
silverado92
AF Newbie

Re: Re: olds 442 1973

Thanks for your reply guys. Actually I want to offer 4200 Cad. for this 350 with 3 speed automatic. The paint is dull and some interior work has to be done. What do you think? the car is 100% original has 64.000 miles (original) on the speedo and is technically, mechanically ok.

My gut feeling says it could work? Any comment / advise is welcome before I arrange shipment to Holland, Europe. The car is located close to Toronto.

P.S. Especially for a 442 I suppose a 4 speed manual would be more interesting and "special"?

Thanks inadvance
Melvin
silverado92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: olds 442 1973

For sure a 4 spd is more valuable and fun but far more rare. If this is close to Toronto, feel free to PM me. Perhaps I could take a look at it for you if its in my area.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
wedgemotor
AF Regular

I actually like the 73 cars. My friend and I built one up for a Japanese foreign exchange student when I was in high school (imagine that, a Japanese guy with a musclecar). Although his was a 74 model. This friend and I found the car for him and did all the work as he helped. I wouldn't even think about using a 350 though. This car is f, 4200lbs and needs torque to move it. Don't worry though, a 455 will bolt right up to the th350 trans and it'll do wonders. You can find a 455 probably in your salvage yard for a couple hundred bucks. We bought ours for 300 in 1992. We got lucky though 'cause we didn't know what we were buying. The guy told us it was a '71 Rocket 455 complete with 2 bbl and air cleaner that sure enough said 455 rocket! This is where it gets weird, when we tore down the motor, the engine had "C" casting heads on it, which if you know anything about Oldsmobiles are the best heads you can get next to the "KA" heads. Anyway we bought ourselves a speed-pro rebuild kit (forged), performer intake, mallory unilite, 780 vac sec carb, and installed a 4.10 posi. When never even timed the car ever, I don't know how the thing ran, but with the owner driving it, he turned 13.5's with street tires. 60 ft time was 1.8 sec and torque was amazing! The gear was too much though, should've went with 3.73's. We used a cheapo melling hp cam that I think was based loosely on the w-30 profile. It is also worth noting we used a 2800 RPM stall converter. I hope this helps in your decision- I say go for it
wedgemotor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical