Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
86FieroGT
AF Newbie

Auto tranny Q's; rotten egg smell

I have a friend who backs out of his driveway, slows most of the way with his brakes, then shifts from reverse into drive while the car is still rolling backward some. Isn't this a bad thing, especially for the torque converter?

I have a 3-speed auto w/ no overdrive, and I'd really like to bump it into neutral sometimes when I'm just coasting rather than dragging the engine along at 3k rpm. Isn't this ok as long as I match revs before shifting back into gear?

Also, that guy's car is only a year old and sometimes the exhaust stinks like rotten eggs. The dealership mechanics said it was from leaky or clogged injectors. It's still under warranty, so that wouldn't be much of a problem. However, isn't that a load of bullsh*t anyway? I thought it was the cats that made that smell (sulphur di- or tri-oxide to something-sulphide?) when going from lean (low throttle) to rich (hard acceleration). Or maybe it was the other way around.

Thanks.
86FieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #2
Evil Result
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Evil Result
The torque converter uses viscous fluid to transfer power from the engine to the drive train so it shouldn't cause any harm to the torque converter.. and if you feel it bumping when he puts it into drive that just the engine struggeling a little as if you where to release a clutch to soon on a manuel bringing the engine to a near stall.

you can put it into neutral and shift back at anytime...the transmission will adjust what gear it needs to be in so you won't overrev the engine. This also applies when your already going fast down hill and try to put it into 2nd or 1st the transmission won't put it into a lower gear to protect the engine.

Does his exhause still stink afer the changed injectors?... if it does seems like he's got a bad cat. It happens
Old 05-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Auto tranny Q's; rotten egg smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Result
The torque converter uses viscous fluid to transfer power from the engine to the drive train so it shouldn't cause any harm to the torque converter.. and if you feel it bumping when he puts it into drive that just the engine struggeling a little as if you where to release a clutch to soon on a manuel bringing the engine to a near stall.

you can put it into neutral and shift back at anytime...the transmission will adjust what gear it needs to be in so you won't overrev the engine. This also applies when your already going fast down hill and try to put it into 2nd or 1st the transmission won't put it into a lower gear to protect the engine.

Does his exhause still stink afer the changed injectors?... if it does seems like he's got a bad cat. It happens
Yeah, I know of several cases where that rotten egg smell waa around, and it was always a bad cat in those cases....but I don't know, you said the cars only a year old.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:41 AM   #4
86FieroGT
AF Newbie

I looked around online and found some place that said that new cars can produce that smell just from going between light/heavy throttle, but this will decrease with age, so I can assume that problem's solved. Thanks.
86FieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical