Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
dustyben
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dustyben
1968 Chevy II / Nova Leaf springs

I have a Nova that had mono leaf springs. Would the ride be entirely too stiff if I used 5 leaf? Should I use 3 leaf? and do I need or should I order w or w/out shim? Also what are best & cheap enough shocks for smooth ride?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
NOVAZ27
AF Regular

Re: 1968 Chevy II / Nova Leaf springs

Hello dusty. I have owned several of these novas. 69,69, & 74 + 76. The extra springs you are considering will roughen the ride a little. There is a problem you will encounter trying to install multi leafs onto your axle. The mounting perch on the axle is shallow. It allows for only mounting the mono leaf. You could go ahead and mount the multi leaf but there may be safety issues to consider. There is an alternative someone in the after market makes a mono fiberglass spring, corvette style. Astro/safari vans used this style so it is pretty tough. You may get away with the 3 leaf!!!! 5 leaf??????. Of course you will need new u bolts/hardware. Teflon shims between the leaves yes. Stay away from extended shackles all they do is flatten/break the main leaf. As far as shocks go autozone /oreilleys/pep boys all have a good varity & prices. I have used gabriels from autozone with great results. Hope this helps.

John in belton
novaz27
NOVAZ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
goddard68
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 1968 Chevy II / Nova Leaf springs

I went with 3 leaf mono replacements on my 70 Nova using my mono perches, no problems but you will have to use 2 degree shims with them. I also like the KYB gas shocks that Summit Racing sells.
goddard68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
novaboy22
AF Newbie

Re: 1968 Chevy II / Nova Leaf springs

dustin, i had the same problem with my 72, i found out that hotchkis sells a kit (which i curently have on my nova) that directley converts your mono leafs to multi leafs. http://www.hotchkis.net/6769_camarof...f_springs.html
but if you want to risk losing your differential keep running mono leafs, they will snap under extreme load. this kit is well worth the investment, a harder ride is better then a loose one.
novaboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova