Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
karusel
AF Newbie

'79 Stingray

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I have a few questions...

I'd like to purchase a '79 Corvette (or a few years up or down), and I've seen a large price span in the ads, ranging from $10.000 to $60.000, and it just confuses me as some cars seemed to be identical, yet they had one or several tens of thousands of dollars price difference. I'd rather spend 10.000 than 60.000 but where does that money go? I don't need all-original parts at all.. just a good looking car and a working engine...

When actually inspecting one, what should I be looking at to not get a lemon?

Also, how high are running costs, are they comparable to new medium sized cars? Are there often some problems with cars this old - transmission, engine, etc.?

Sorry about my noob questions...
karusel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
rpage
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to rpage
Re: '79 Stingray

I bought a 77 vette last fall for $4000 and all it really needs is a paint job, I pulled the engine for a bigger one, beefier tranny, etc. but even for a top notch vette in this era is $15000. If you are looking for a vette to drive, looks good, and needs minimal work, you ought to be able to find one between $4000-$8000. A lot of people selling their vettes think that if you have a numbers matching vette in these years they are worth more than what they are. They must have forgotten about how many thousands of vettes Chevy built in that time. Keep looking, trust me.

Good luck!!!
1998 Volkswagen Beetle
1993 Jeep Wrangler
rpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
berto69
AF Newbie

Corvette

I just bought a "79 that is very mechanicly sound with new brakes, battery, tires, all new eurethane bushings, bearing kits, and tune up for 2 grand! Granted the paint is badly faded and the entire interior needs replaced but its a sound car. Even my mechanic put it on the rack and said there was NO way I got hurt on this deal. My point is, that if you are wanting a good driver, and maybe something to put in amateur shows on the weekend. I'd stay in the 8-10 grand range. Always have a reputable shop look over your car. If you see someone in the parking lot getting out of a Vette, don't hesitate to question them. If they are a true Corvette enthusiast, they will be more than happy to answer your questions. Being a corvette owner/enthusiast is truely a fellowship.
Best of luck, and don't settle for anything you don't get excited about!
berto69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette