Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
RobD33
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RobD33 Send a message via Yahoo to RobD33
94 Dodge Caravan 3.0 starting problems

Hello,
I have a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.0 engine. Most of the time it starts fine, but every so often, and usually in places you dont want it to happen it wont start. I can turn the key, and nothing. I have one of those battery charger / boosters on wheels, and when I hook that up and use the 200amp boost, it turns over and starts right up. It will not turn over or start with trying to jump start it with another vehicle. I replace the start relay, and the starter itself and it will still happen. What other options can I look into or check? Ignition switch? Neutral Safety Switch on the transmission? fusible link? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
RobD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:14 PM   #2
gforster
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.0 starting problems

Clean the post on the battery and your clamps. Also make sure to load test the battery. If the battery is no good or the terminal connections are faulty, you usually cannot jumpstart from another vehicle because it's trying to draw so many amps through small jumper cables. When you hookl up your big battery pack, there is all kinds of current there so no problem. It's either you connections or battery gauranteed...

Geoff
gforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
RobD33
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RobD33 Send a message via Yahoo to RobD33
Re: Re: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.0 starting problems

Geoff,
The thing is,,,,I have cleaned the posts and cable ends. When this does happen, which is only once in awhile, I am getting full power, as the lights are bright, blower fan wil run, radio, etc. It just doesnt get that connection to start. I even pulled every fuse out of that fuse block under the hood and cleaned the contacts of the fuses. It hasnt happened since, but it never does til you least expect it and at the worst possible times. This is one of those wait til it happens again and check some different things at that time to see if you can find the problem.

Thanks

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforster
Clean the post on the battery and your clamps. Also make sure to load test the battery. If the battery is no good or the terminal connections are faulty, you usually cannot jumpstart from another vehicle because it's trying to draw so many amps through small jumper cables. When you hookl up your big battery pack, there is all kinds of current there so no problem. It's either you connections or battery gauranteed...

Geoff
RobD33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
daveyhouse
AF Newbie

Re: 94 Dodge Caravan 3.0 starting problems

Try removing all connection from the starter itself and cleaning them. You could also have a bad ground at the starter. The starter is grounded by itself when you bolt it into place. make sure all contact points are clean from debris when reinstalling starter.
Good luck,
Dave
daveyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote