Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
chrisrphoto
AF Newbie

stiff suspension after ball joint replacement

Good day everyone. Yesterday, I replaced the ball joints on my 1997 Mexican bug. I removed the arms to take them to have the old joints pressed out and new ones in. After reassembling, there is practically no sping in the front while driving. What did I do wrong or what did I not do?
Thanks a bunch.
Chris.
chrisrphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
doktordr
AF Newbie

Re: stiff suspension after ball joint replacement

If you haven't solved this problem het, I have seen it before. Two things can cause this. 1) the ball jounts are not aligned properly, there are alignment slots on each ball joint that need to be orientated fore and aft in relation to the body of the car. (there are also marks on the arms too) 2)The bore in the control arms are undersize or the ball joints are over size. I have had this happen to me on a customer car, but the customer opted not to find out what caused it. I tend think the ball jounts would be at fault since VW was really good at precision machining. Hope this is of some help.
doktordr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1