Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Rroxon7
AF Newbie

327 sbc interchangable parts...

I'm building a sbc 327....The block will have to be bored out...Not sure what size yet. 20 over maybe I know I'll have to change pistons...What I'm wondering is what engines parts will fit...my engine is a 68 chevy camaro. I'd just like to know what years, and cu inch parts would fit...and what advise would you give for new replacement parts.....I have original parts such as cam, crank, but most parts I'll have to purchase....would I be able to use any small block chevy parts for my 327 ( alternator, water pump ect. ) And please take into account I'm on a low budget...???.........Thanks for any advise.........Randy...
Rroxon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: 327 sbc interchangable parts...

Randy,

A "true" '68 327 is a "large journal" block. Virtually all 350 parts "fit". The two components unique to 327 are the crankshaft and pistons. If it may be an earlier "small journal" 327, 350 crank won't fit in the block without grinding the mains down.

Aside from the bearings and connecting rods, and parts dealing with the bore/stroke, ALL small block stuff fits. Oil pump, cam and lifters, inake, exhaust, heads, etc., quite literally bolt right on.

You will find 350 parts to be less expensive than 327.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Rroxon7
AF Newbie

Thanks for your reply Jim....
One thing I know for sure is that the heads are camal hump...And they are finished, ( reserfaced, valves ect. )..I'm trying to go with parts from a dismantling yard...I found a clean 68 GM truck with a sbc so I'm trying to use the starter, fuel pump, carb, (4bl) carter I think,, and whatever else I think my work...........Again Thanks for any help you can provide....Randy
Rroxon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
jyatesmp
AF Newbie

I would say use all new or at least reman parts... dont go with junk yard parts... may cost more but it will last longer and be less work in the long run..
jyatesmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
novaboy22
AF Newbie

god stay away from camel hump heads, why does everyone insist on using them, they were good 20 years ago but weve evolved since then in the auto industry, go aluminum, theyre not that expensive anymore, besides some vintage guy on ebay would love to pay 800 bucks for those heads you have. and that my friend is the cost of aluminum heads from patriot.
novaboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

The 327 camel hump heads were used on 1966 and 1967 Nova IIs and Nova II SS with the 327.The part number for the oil pan gasket for the 327 is the same for the 350.The nearest carquest parts store in my area had a hard time finding it in the book and finally looked up a 1970 350 which the pan gasket was the same part number.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Torch
AF Regular

There were two different 327s, the one made up until 1967 and then the one made in 1968 and 69, the main difference is the journal size of the crankshaft, this is important when ordering crankshafts or it will not fit in your block without expensive machining.

The stock bore of the 327 and 350 is the same but the 327 has a 1/4 inch less stroke than the 350 (from what I remember) this is important when ordering new pistons or your compression will be LOW due to the piston's wrist pin placement.

As was said before just about everything from other small blocks will be interchangeable, starters are one place that you have to before careful, if you get a starter from a smaller displacement SB engine you will destroy it in no time, another thing to watch for is that there were two or three different bolt patterns for the starters, make sure the starter you get matches the bolt pattern on the block.

As was also said before heads and intakes have evolved, go with the aluminum heads and intake manifolds as well, they are lighter weight and will provide better results than the heads that were cast back in the 60s and early 70s. Junk yard parts are fine if you just need to get the car back on the road so that you can get to work in the morning, but long term it is better to just save you money and get new parts.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

327 was first used in '62. There are several versions based on advertised horsepower. Anywhere from 225 to 375... The "High Torque" was found in the '67 and '68 pickups and medium trucks. Some of the earlier medium and heavy duty trucks also had it.

The "double hump" or "camel hump" (the former being the most common nickname) heads are very good for the smaller engines like 327. The '69 350 head, "041" rendered all the 327 stuff "obsolete". Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of 327 heads had 1.94" intake valves, NOT the legendary "2.02s". The 461X casting, used for the 365 and 375 HP versions, had the 2.02s. 461s, 462s and 291s (the three most common castings) are all 1.94s as deleivered. THOUSANDS of them have since been modified for 2.02s, 1.6" exhausts and "screw-in studs and guideplates". These modifications make them a decent head, even for a modern "build" of a smaller displacement small block (under 350 CID). They share the 64 CC chamber.

All that said, I'd agree a pair of aluminum heads is the "modern" way to go, but it isn't the ONLY way to go...(:-

FWIW

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova