Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat
JDM Motor & Parts info/chat Discussions on Mugen, Spoon etc. Plus, info on motor swaps (b18 's, b16's h22's etc) and other JDM info!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
CRV Owner
AF Newbie

Gas in Oil

Gasoline is constantly getting into my oil pan, like one or two quarts. No one seems to know how, even the Honda Dealership says it's not possible. Anyone have any ideas?
2006 Honda CRV 2.4 i-VETEC engine. I recently topped of my gas tank at a station that had diesel fuel mistakenly put in their gas storage tank and after driving about 80 miles my car quit. The Honda Dealer fixed the contaminated fuel problem, but now I keep getting over full in my oil.
CRV Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
CivicSpoon
There is no Spoon

Re: Gas in Oil

When your vehicle died, did they check the engine for any damage? Any decreased power since this happened? Are you absolutely sure it's gasoline, and not, perhaps, coolant?

Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 possibilities.

One, you have a stuck injector, that is stuck open and constantly spraying fuel. So much fuel that all of it doesn't combust, and simply goes past the piston rings into the oil.

Two, I'm assuming the engine was knocking before it stalled. It's possible you damaged a piston ring, or even worse, damaged a ringland (part of the piston). This would push the fuel right past the piston right and into your oil.

Strange that they claim that it's not possible. I've seen it myself at least a handful of times, and I don't work on cars every day.
CivicSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
CRV Owner
AF Newbie

The engine never knocked or has the power changed since then.
The first time it quit, it lost power and the engine turned itself off. I was able to restart and drove for approx. 8miles when it quit again. I was able to restart about 5-6 times before I was able to get to an off ramp. Had it towed to Honda Dealer Where they found the oil was over full by "quarts", which they drained and refilled. Also found plugs were fouled and one plug had no electrode left. Replaced plugs, adjusted valves, replaced oil sensor switch and drained tank, flushed fuel lines and cleaned injectors after finding contaminated fuel.
The "check engine light" keeps coming on and off. Took it to another Honda dealer when I got home and they could not find anything to make it come on, they reset it, but it still keeps coming off and on.
I was never told why my oil was over full, but I decided to check it now (675 miles since first Honda dealer changed it) and found it was significantly over the mark on the dip stick. I removed one and a half quarts with a suction tube down the dip stick hole until the level was at the normal level on the stick and sent a sample to an oil lab to determine what is filling up the oil pan. I also drained and refilled with fresh oil then scratched a line on the dip stick at the filled level. After about 50 miles it has risen about 3/16 of an inch. It is definitely not coolant
Old 07-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

need to get the code to determine why check engine light is coming on. should probably do a compression test or leakdown test to see if one or more of the cyls is low from internal damage
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
CRV Owner
AF Newbie

I'll check with the Honda dealer this week to find out what the code was (if any) when I took it in. They said, at the time, that there was no indication as to why the light came on and they merely reset it and charged their $110.00 fee. I haven't noticed any loss in power or performance, but I'll see about a compression test.
I hope to hear back from the lab by Tues or Wed on the oil results.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > JDM Motor & Parts info/chat