Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 05:43 AM   #1
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Red face Monogram (not Revell at the time) carrera 911 review.. LOL

Just an little review of a rare, quite strange old model from this mythical company from Morton Groove.

Have to be honest with you, I always LOVED monogram models inc. I grow up with their models, mostly the big birds in 1/48. For some points of view they were and still are, some of the best shapes ever taken in scale models. All the legends from the develope of their old models, like the F-14 done for Grumman corp. in the same time of the real prototyipe plane..
The nicer F-4 phantom in scale is still monogram one, imho, despite of the engraved panel lines out of time today.Tke a look at the air intakes area if you get one...
It is sooo american stuff, soo oldfashion, so much passion in that little cute boxes !!Kinda modelling I miss today, as well as many know, part of the technicians at monogram models were the same ones making that little serie of stunning cars done by Accurate Miniatures years ago, and still today, AMAZING models..Wonder the destiny of that AC Cobra they annouced many many yrs ago

And often inside you could find the colored flyer of the model done by Master shep Payne (r.i.p.) ! amazing, simply amazing
I hope young modellers (if they exist..) can have a look of what I am talking about.

All this cause I know many of you, like planes, exactly as I do, so it happen to me a good friend gifted me this old box from monogram, still sealed, and I could not resist to open it, also cause I dont think this will ever grow any value in future to keep it sealed.
My biggest fear was to find inside the horrible revell carrera rs, still in catalogue today (both white and black cars), and many have been disappointed to pay modern money to that object really far away from the lines of any 911. In revell kits the biggest mistake is the squared front and rear bumper, that completely changes the shape of the car, as well as ugly tyres, ugly rims,ugly tall setup, generic details, full of flash. Had one of this recent box that I trashed immediately, just saving the nice little decal sheet. Nothing else really, and you know how much I can take care of ANY 911 leftover. So strange cause the box was reissued by revelle Germany, and I think down there they should know quite well the 911...

This monogram 911 was indeed another mould. Of course we cant compare it to a modern kit, but for the time (1976 as from instruction sheet above) the lines are generally really well done, and is a good kit to make any american late 70s 911 sc car, without buying a resin body, with correct american lights and big rubbers on the rear bumper, typical from that period. Here enclosed the pics of whats inside...

as you can see the biggest mistake on this body is the little rear glass on the c pillar. that must be corrected, but seems not so hard work. Of course, for the time, also the grilles on the rear wing area are messy, but also here remember this is a 1976 model kit..

dunno really how many are still reading me , but remember, if you cross this box, take it, is worthed the 5 dollars value she could have today. sometimes even less.. LOL
..and is much better than whats inside that revell modern box you see around named carrera 3.0 rs..

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lovegt40 For This Useful Post:
chris24 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
proosen
AF Enthusiast

Re: Monogram (not Revell at the time) carrera 911 review.. LOL

I've built that one a long time ago, think it was brand new at the time. Remember I got a bit put off because of the lack of detail in it related to the price.
You could get an AMT for less money at the time and have a full detailed kit instead of a curbside like this one.
This beeing in the 70's and the price level was roughly 2 euro for AMT and 3 euro for Revell or Monogram.

Never the less it got brush painted off-white and lived a quite life on the shelf for many years just to vanish out in thin air at some point in my life.
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to proosen For This Useful Post:
lovegt40 (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
filmon
AF Newbie

Cell'ho.
E' sbagliato anche il disegno delle portiere.
E voglio vedere come te la cavi con il finestrino posteriore, perché vorrei montarla pure io e quindi devo copiarti la soluzione... E' il principale motivo della sua permanenza nel magazzino.
Altra cosa bella di questo kit sono i parafanghi, una larghezza intermedia tra quello piatto della 911 base e quello cicciotto della turbo, che mi pare non ci siano in altri kit.
filmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
lovegt40
ItaloSvensk

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmon View Post
Cell'ho.
E' sbagliato anche il disegno delle portiere.
E voglio vedere come te la cavi con il finestrino posteriore, perché vorrei montarla pure io e quindi devo copiarti la soluzione... E' il principale motivo della sua permanenza nel magazzino.
Altra cosa bella di questo kit sono i parafanghi, una larghezza intermedia tra quello piatto della 911 base e quello cicciotto della turbo, che mi pare non ci siano in altri kit.
vero anche la porta è sbagliata, ma vabeh, quella sarebbe solo una pannellatura, nulla di che.
Non la monterò mai Filo.. puro collezionismo e feticismo per la 911, in tutte le sue salse.

website www.alsoldatino.com
my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIp..._as=subscriber
FB: https://www.facebook.com/alsoldatino
lovegt40 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling