Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
View Poll Results: What HIGHWAY gas mileage do you get in your Chevy 1500 series truck?
26 mpg or better Highway mileage 10 1.65%
24 mpg or more 6 0.99%
22 mpg or more 17 2.81%
20 mpg or more 74 12.21%
18 mpg or more 133 21.95%
16 mpg or more 159 26.24%
14 mpg or more 116 19.14%
12 mpg or more 62 10.23%
10 mpg or more 19 3.14%
Less than 10 mpg Highway mileage 10 1.65%
Voters: 606. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #76
pwrpapa
AF Newbie

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCON z
Thanks for the advice, I check into the things you listed. I think there are quite a few 4.10's running around in the 2005's. When I was told that it would get the same gas mileage as the 3.73 I fell hook, line, and sinker. I did call Cheverolet and they said the truck could break in between 5000-7000 miles. *fingers crossed* But I've heard of one case where it did and he's driveing a Ford now. Just curious doesn't anyone think that me raising my torson bars an inch effected my mpg?

hmmmm.. As a last resort I wonder how much it would cost to change out to 3.42 or 3.73 gears?
I'm going to put a a gear vendors overdrive unit in mine.
They say you can get 5 to 8 mpg more with it.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #77
chazbo007
AF Newbie

Wink Silverado gas mileage

Hey White Lightning

I've found the best way to improve my Silverado mileage is to sneak over to my neighbors when he's sleeping and syphon a little off the top. Not to much, but just enough to get by from day to day.

For those of you reading this....I happen to know White Lightning so don't get upset.

Chazbo007
Old 03-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #78
silveradoking
AF Regular

Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Why would someone get upset? If someone were to get upset, I would smack him...This is supposed to be a fun forum...one of the best....And I might give that a try, since gas prices are giving me a headache......laugh, and ye shall be free......freeeeeeeee, I say.......
Old 03-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #79
White Lightening
AF Regular

Re: Silverado gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbo007
Hey White Lightning

I've found the best way to improve my Silverado mileage is to sneak over to my neighbors when he's sleeping and syphon a little off the top. Not to much, but just enough to get by from day to day.

For those of you reading this....I happen to know White Lightning so don't get upset.

Chazbo007
Greetings Chazbo007,

Sounds like a good plan - just remember - if you have a Go-Kart be sure to pick a Go-Kart to get the right fuel. Don't want any rocket fuel in a motor that can't handle it

White Lightening
Old 03-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #80
chazbo007
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Re: Silverado gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightening
Greetings Chazbo007,

Sounds like a good plan - just remember - if you have a Go-Kart be sure to pick a Go-Kart to get the right fuel. Don't want any rocket fuel in a motor that can't handle it

White Lightening

Hmmm.....maybe that's why my 5.3 has been spitin and sputerin....just a low grade fuel issue.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:17 PM   #81
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Follow the link in my signature, the one about the acetone. It is definately making a difference in my gas mileage, but I have yet to be able to calculate the exact MPG increase. Somewhere between 25% and 50%. I just put glasspacks on, so my foot's still a bit heavier than normal, I just love that deep rumble
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
Old 03-28-2005, 10:24 PM   #82
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard
Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ri
Follow the link in my signature, the one about the acetone. It is definately making a difference in my gas mileage, but I have yet to be able to calculate the exact MPG increase. Somewhere between 25% and 50%. I just put glasspacks on, so my foot's still a bit heavier than normal, I just love that deep rumble
Yeah, but isn't you engine carbureted? If you read on that page (or maybe it was a page linked out of that page), it also says it wouldn't make that mch difference in a fuel injected engine.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #83
FALCON z

Well, I've got my everyday mpg up from 13.6 to 16-17 just by driving like grandpa. I still hope it will break in because I shouldn't have to driver like this. If not, I can't keep shifting at 1600 RPMs. But I will do it for now since the gas is so darn high. If my truck never breaks in, I'll change to synthetic oil and change the air filter.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #84
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: GAS Mileage - how to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlenderWizard
Yeah, but isn't you engine carbureted? If you read on that page (or maybe it was a page linked out of that page), it also says it wouldn't make that mch difference in a fuel injected engine.
My engine is carbureted. I don't recall reading that, but I figured that would be the case since fuel injection is much more efficient. The guy who wrote the page that I linked to drives, I believe, a 98 neon. He said he is getting 52(?)MPG. I don't know what they get normally, but I'm sure it would be low 40s at best.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
Old 04-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #85
rabt
AF Regular

acetone doesn't seem like a good deal to me since the last time i bought it, it was $12.50 a gallon just a few weeks ago when i was doing some painting
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 PM   #86
Rod&Custom
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Rod&Custom
My dad has a 2000 3/4 ton 6.0l pickup with 40,xxx miles on it, and it only gets 11.2 mpg with a K&N drop in filter and grandma driving. We took the back brakes apart since we felt some drag, and the rotors were all rusted. This has to be the culprit for the horrible mileage. Now that the warranty is up, we have heard other people compaining of bad, rusted rotors. It seems that all the metal is junk, rusts, and swells, causing the e-brake, and regular brakes to hang up. Hopefully this gets fixed in a few days, then I'll report the mpg. Shouldn't Chevy be held responsible for these junky, $125 ea. dollar parts? I think he is going to call a dealer tomorrow and see whats up. Hopefully they replace them since Chevy put out junk metal. Get this, 1 of the rotors is perfect, with no drag. I suppose it came from a different batch of rotors...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #87
airtight_python
AF Regular

My V6 with 3.42s gets about 18 highway. Shit if you ask me. I want a 6.0L!
Old 04-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #88
Moose is loose
AF Regular

I recently scored 18 with my 2003 4.8L on a cross-country trip (it was over the Rockies). Now, the good part: I have a 6" lift and 315's with stock gears. MUCH better than I expected. My best freind has the same truck with a 5.3L. He averages 14 on the highway. Probably driving style, but who knows, maybe that .4 liters matters?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:27 AM   #89
White Lightening
AF Regular

Greetings Fellow Gas/Diesel users,

Many good ideas and topics have and are being covered on this thread. On another thread - I started asking about the Nelson Tune custom chip and Westers Tune custom chip. I did this because it seems mileage can be improved on your truck withthe use of these custom chips. But rather than just opinions from those of us who read about them - Ithought it more practical to get actual owners comments instead. Words and advertising aren't nearly as good as actual live experiences.

The purpose of this specific thread was to get comments from existing Nelson and Westers tune chip owners - about how it improved their gas mileage and performance. If you're interested in one of those areas and comments from actual owners - this link may be of interest to you as well as the thread you're already on.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=403748

Keep the ideas coming - improving gas mileage or reducing the costs of fuel allow each of us to spend the money on something else instead.

White Lightening
Old 05-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #90
BlenderWizard
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to BlenderWizard

Just figured my MPG for city travel, nowhere near the highway... 14.22 MPG

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado