Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Which company has the best trucks?
Ford 8 20.00%
Chevy 18 45.00%
Dodge 14 35.00%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #16
cumminstrokethis
AF Newbie

Re: Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge

ill give you the bare bones honest proven truth about the diesel side of things.

Heres how stuff stacks up.

Engine, cummins, duramax, powerjoke.

Tranny(autos), Allison, TorqShift, dodge(although the new Aisin may be nice)

Frame, Super Duty, GM, Ram

Ill start by explaining the engine side of things.

Cummins is a proven company, they have been around since the early 30s. The 5.9 has been around for more than 20 years. It is the most commonly used Cummins engine. It is used in every single diesel application you can think of with the exclusion of cars. More school buses run the 5.9 than CAT, IH, John Deere and mercedes combined. Its also an I6 configuration which provides superior torque and reliablilty. The Cummins has a 500,000 mile service life. It is also the easiest and chepest to upgrade. Onle probelm with the Cummins was the 98.5-02 24v, they had a poor lift pump. Once the lift pump went out, it would caust the injector pump to go out, and it isnt cheap to fix.

The Duramax is the youngest one of the bunch being unleashed in 01, but it has really pushed its way into the market. It is made by Isuzu, which is also a proven diesel company that has been around for years. The Duramax has had a few problems. The most common one is the faulty injectors on the LB7(01-04.5) these injectors were mounted in the cylinder head which would expose them to extreme heat. This would make them prone to cracking. However GM gave all of the LB7 owners an extended warrenty on this problem. In 04.5 the problem was fixed with the LLY which had the injectors mounted on the outide of the head, this also allowed for easier and cheaper maintenence of the injectors. The D-Max packs a punch and can handle a lot of power before it needs to be seriously worked on.

Then theres the Power Stroke. Unveiled in 94 with a displacement of 7.3L and HUEI injection. The Strokes high redline allowed it to launch quicker than the other 2,(6.5TD 12v Cummins). However if somebody wanted power or torque they would have to go the Cummins route. The 7.3 was miles ahead of the 6.5TD but it couldnt keep up with the Cummins. THe 7.3s bottom ends were weak. The HUEI injection was very limiting. The engine bay was very cramped. And they were veery expensive to upgrade. THen they changed the 7.3 quite a bit over the years and in 03 came out with the 6.0. The 6.0 had mjor porblems. The heads wouldnt stay on, the turbos would fall apart and major warrenty issues. Over 250,000 of them were recalled. The 6.0 is limited in power in comparison to the other 2. Currently the highest powered Stroke on diesel only is about 550hp. The highest powered Cummins on #2 is over 1500hp and the highest D-Max on #2 is just over 1000hp.

Next, trannies.

Allison is the only manufcturer of HD automatic trannies. Im not even going to bother listing the hundreds of applicatiosn they are in. Ill just simply state this, its a Medium Duty tranny in a Light Duty truck that is highly advanced in technology. It actually programs itself to your driving style. Its just simple the biggest and best.

TorqShift is an okay tranny, its not outstanding but it gets the job done. Only real problem is the 2 error code that cause the tranny to internally self destruct. A wire that corrodes is what causes these error codes. No matter how may times you replace the tranny, if you dont find that wire thats causing the codes, your gonna have a hell of a time. This happended to our 99 Powerstroke that we had. Lukily we sold it before we even put a new tranny in.

I dont know who makes dodges tranny but i do know that it is the weakest. Lets face it, a tranny that cant handle the stock power of the Cummins is going to cause trouble. Thats really all there is to say about it, it just flat out sucks. Behind the new 6.7L Cummins they have an Aisin 6spd which looks like a pretty promising tranny.

WHo makes the best truck, well its up to you but after weighing my options id have to go with GM. Best tranny, 2nd best frame, 2nd best motor, only bad thing about it is the IFS. It can cause some troubles if you have high power levels while in 4wd.

My input is solely based on the rolling chassis. NOT the interior or body style. Those two things are personal preference. Bosy style i would go with the big bold look of the Ford, but for interior i would go with GM or King Ranch.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #17
DunKrS
AF Newbie

Why in the world would you put a freaking auto tranny in a diesel anyway?!?! The Dura-Crap and the Power-Joke are *Light* duty engines while the Cummins is *Medium* duty. Yes I'm a die hard mopar fan but I've done my research and pretty much anyone who knows anything about motors knows that the more power you put on an automatic the sooner it will fail. Yes, all transmissions will, repeat WILL UNDOUBTABLY fail. But why put an auto tranny behind a powerful motor that will do nothing but cut an automatic trannys life shorter than they already are??? Manual seems the only logical route to me anyone else think so?! Don't care whether its a ford dodge or chevy don't put automatics in diesels! Why do you think Semi's use manuals? Because they don't wanna deal with having their tranny rebuilt after every haul! Anyway, why did chevy decide to put A JAPANESE engine in their pickup?!?!?! Bad chevy BAD!!! DieselDynamics.com Has some good videos of a Ram 2500 4x4 keeping up with, and beating some classic muscle cars (mostly fords and chevys) pretty impressive stuff if you ask me. As for looks I love the dodges (of course) and find the "king ranch" package very un-appealing. And just because most people use fords for working doesn't make them the standard or anything does it? Just CHEAPER!!! Quantity is job #1 should be fords motto. Hope you enjoyed my little rant. lol ASIA SUCKS!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM   #18
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper

Well Dunkrs you've shown that you care only about Dodge. Did you know that the fucking Allison transmission is a MEDIUM duty tranny? Betcha didn't. Where do you base this light duty and medium duty engine blahblah from? Any proof? The Duramax is just as heavy duty as the Cummins is, and the Powerjoke would be a little strong if they used 6 headstuds per cylinder instead of 4, what the hell is International thinking? Maybe it's just Ford trying to save money. And if the Cummins is so much better, why are they now following in the Duramaxes foot steps, they now use the same injection that the Duramax has been using all along. I'm a fan of all diesels and I've done my history on all three, have you? The only thing I'll stand up for on a Cummins is their reliablity. The Duramax is now completely owned and built by Chevrolet, it was a joint venture kind of deal between GM and Isuzu. I've asked guys that drive Cummins and owned Cummins and most say that the Duramax is a better engine and platform than the Cummins right now. Ford, well...if they changed the engine a little bit I'd maybe stand up for the Powerstroke. Hell, GM didn't have to change a damn thing on their engines to comply with the new DPF's, Dodge and Ford completely rebuilt theirs, and in the process the Powerstroke as become a nightmare(not in a good way). Don't get me started on interiors, Dodge sucks in that department. Looks are completely opinion though, I hate the new superduty's, liked last few years though. The Dodge's do look nice but I'm not fond of their newer headlights, and the previous Chevy's/GMC's have looked great, not sure about the new ones. It's not hard for a newer Diesel to beat a muscle car, or a newer Corvette for that matter, they can tune them to the balls very easy. Pick up a Diesel Power mag and you'll know that.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #19
DunKrS
AF Newbie

Well if you really didn't know that the cummins was a medium duty truck and that the power-joke and dura-crap were light duty engines then you really don't know a whole lot... But if you wanna make yourself learned then check out inlinediesel.com/deathmatch/ They are a cummins web site but they talk about ford and chevy nicely and are very neutral when it comes to bashing and many ford and chevy fans of mine have been "shown the light" shall we say. Oh and if you wanna see a ford in 4 wheel drive get town down the street by a cummins check out there multimedia page it's rather entertaining . Yes they are using toy trucks in the pics but everything they say is 100% true!!! (except for the wild kitty attack LOL) Hope you learn a little from this and just so you know. What good is a japanese light duty truck in front of a medium duty automatic tranny anyway?!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #20
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Kinda funny how this "light duty" Duramax will tear up you're "medium duty" Cummins any day of the week. REAL IMPRESSIVE for a medium duty truck, it's truly amazing...

2 posts here huh man? Are you a member of any other forums, or did you just join to bash on these trucks? Please, when a very reputable company like ATS uses a Duramax as their sled pulling truck, and when most of the trucks out there pulling the most and running the fastest are Duramaxes, I'm just gonna say, lets hook em up.

Diesel Power mag did a challenge between 9 trucks, only two Chevy's, two Ford's, and the rest all Dodge's. The only trucks that broke down during that challenge were both Dodge's, one 12valve, and one 24 valve engine. The two Fords finished 7th and 8th, while Chevy's finished 1st and 6th. The Duramax's achieved the best mileage.

I did look at that website, what a joke, are you serious about the Deathmatch? Seriously a joke, you must live by that off road test as that seems to be mainly what you base your information on. In a real world test, if you've ever seen one, the Duramax wins the competition, I'll find a video for you that proves this. Also, it doesn't start on fire, unlike that piece of shit slushbox behind the Dumbins.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #21
DunKrS
AF Newbie

Man oh man... How can you say that a duramax will tear up a cummins when it's the biggest motor of the big three and has THE 2nd LOWEST SPECS OF ALL OF THEM!!! It's a 6.6 liter and it has a 605ft-lbs torque rating and only 310 hp. It'll tear up a cummins like a baby could tear up a full grown great white shark. Cummins has been around since the 1920's and is a proven and highly respected brand. Cummins are used in anything from school busses to TANKS FOR THE U.S. MILITARY!!! Motorhomes, Fire Trucks, and Boats. The list goes on forever. But when people need a dependable engine who do they call on... CUMMINS, not the Dura-crap. The little dura-crap diesel has the famous ability to build up heat when pulling loads uphill and warp or even melt the aluminum heads and completely destroy the engine, It's also makes it's peak torque and hp at rpms that rival those of some gas engines (same with the power-joke). The cummins makes it's peak power just off Idle so you don't have to rev it up to 4000rpms just to get moving.The V-8 pieces of crap they put in fords and chevys also have 45% more moving parts than the Inline 6 of the cummins which means Fewer parts are present and therefore it has a much lower chance of having something go wrong. (Like anything ever does anyway.) About the injectors... I guess now there even on that playing field, because the turbo system on the power-joke and dura-crap are made by cummins. Dumbins??? How long did that sorry excuse for an insult take you? Most of the crap you have presented to me have no facts to back them up. How many times do I gotta say it. YOU DON'T PUT AUTOMATICS IN DIESELS, IT'S PURE IDIOCY!!! Who gives a damn about the allison if you got a piece of junk aluminum headed jap engine in it!!! Go do some research and you'll see why cummins is the #1 diesel engine in the WORLD. I'll admit the dodge auto tranny isn't the best but like I keep saying you just don't put auto's behind diesels...
-DunKrS
Old 02-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #22
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Man you don't know shit do you? The new Duramax puts out 360 horsepower and 660 lb ft of torque, and it makes it's peak torque at the same rpm as the Cummins. You want me to pull out the dyno graphs of each engine? Do you know what a dyno graph is? Sure Cummins makes all these engines for all these, but are the 5.9's in all of them? No. I'd like to see where you're getting all your information on the Duramax at, because I'm also a member of the biggest Duramax board on the net, and people always come there with their problems, well, the small percentage of people who own GM's, and there aren't any problems of a Duramax melting itself, and very very few of any overheating. You can get a Cummins to overheat just as easy pulling up a hill. Any engine will heat up more as you stress it. Prove the turbo systems being built by Cummins dumbshit, last I heard GM uses GARRET turbos, not built by Cummins. You're the one not posting any proof, seriously, LET'S SEE PROOF BOY! The only proof you have claimed was a biased toy truck simulation. That's real proof. In the contest I'll show you the Duramax is the only one to spin it's tires stepping on the gas pedal from a dead stop, now that's torque.

Edit: Enjoy! http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115662

Largest engine, most power, but yet the best mileage. And the Cummins is a better engine? I'll admit it's a more reliable engine and it does have its history backing it. The Ram in that video looks fuckin badass too, have the option for a larger bed with the Mega cab, along with the new Aisin 6 speed tranny and that'd be a hell of a truck.

Last edited by v10_viper; 02-23-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #23
DunKrS
AF Newbie

Actually if you go to cummins.com you'll find that they list the engines they make and I looked specifically at the 5.9 and listed all the things they use it for. The tanks may not use the 5.9L but they are used in many other military vehicles. All of cummins engines are identical just smaller or larger scales!!! My mistake on the turbo's I was misinformed. So you found a site that only proves what I've said all along. The automatic Tranny kills the cummins. The 6 speed manual and cummins is the best combination. Yeah an automatic is nice but for real towing you need a manual and the Dodge would have done so much better with the manual. I've owned 2 Cummins dodges and they can't be beat. I out towed my friend in my stock '91 cummins ram 250, while he was in a 2003 duramax diesel up a near 11% grade towing a larger trailer than his! I recently sold that and bought a brand new '05 ram 3500 bighorn. I put a 5 inch mbrp exhaust and now have 635ft-lbs torque and somewhere around 350 hp, now my engine makes a nice low growl that's no even close to as loud as a clackity clack dura-crap. I really don't feel like I'm going to get through to a 20 year old who owns a 92 silverado... Oh yeah and to meet the new epa standards Dodge is now putting the new 6.7L Cummins in it check it out.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/1545
But look how much bigger the duramax has to be to match the Cummins, Liter for Liter the Cummins makes more power!!! If you lined up the 6.7L cummins and the old 6.6L duramax so they are about the same sized engine the cummins would run laps around the dura-crap Also A new 6 speed automatic transmission will be put in place. But as I keep saying and you keep ignoring, automatics homes are in little 4 cylinder engines, not bigand i like ponies beefy diesels.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #24
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

The 6 speed they're putting behind the Cummins IS made in Japan.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:08 AM   #25
cumminstrokethis
AF Newbie

WOW, I guess I dont know where to start, you both seemed slightly misinformed by biased info. Im not biased, only against the powerstroke, but thats a no brainer.

GM doesnt use Garret Turbos, the Banks Type-R does but not the production truck. The production truck uses IHI turbos. A vey good reliable turbo brand.

Holset only builds turbos for Cummins.

The Duramax is technically an Isuzu but it was designed in Michigan. There is nothing wrong with Isuzu they have turned out some very powerful and reliable motors and have been around for forever. Isuzu is poised to become the nations number one diesel engine manufacturer. THey provide very technologically advanced engines and offer a one stop shop for GM Duramax owners.

Partnering with Isuzu was very good thing on GM's part. Look at th 6.2 nd 6.5. THose were Detroits and were the worst motors of the big 3 at the time. Now they have the best motor.

DOnt get me wrong, im diehard Cummins, but I like the Duramax.

AUTOMATICS GO IN DIESELS. Nothing wrong with autos in diesels. Heres what have them, school buses, buses, firetrucks, RVs, semis, off road vehicles and many many more. I cant even begin to list the amount of things these trannies are put in.

Autos are great on diesels, know why?? Becasue an Auto multiplies torque, diesels lready have lots of torque and now youre multipling it.

But, who makes all of these transmissions?? Allison. The only maker of auto HD transmissions. THey are extremely reliable and some models support over 3700lb ft of torque.

And which truck runs the Allison, the Duramax. It is a Medium Duty transmission. It is often paired with the 5.9 Cummins.

However I wouldnt trust anything but an Ally behind a diesel.

The New Duramax (LMM) makes 365hp, which makes it the most powerful pickup. The new 6.7L makes 305hp, but will supposedly have 350hp in the non chassis cab trucks.

The Duramax is a Medium Duty motor, it is used in medium duty trucks. There is also a heavier 7.8L inline 6 Duramax that is used.

Heres a few features the Duramax has, that set it apart from the rest.

Ladder Frame Construction-its lightweight, has high rigidity, reduced noise and reduced vibration.

Precision Machined Fit Sleeve- Its easily serviced, very durable nd reliable.

Common Rail Injection- Low noise, low vibration, good performance and good fuel economy.

Nitraded Crankshaft- very relaible and durable.

Full Roller Cam- lifters, rockers and cam, the whole shebang.

Oil Squirts- Cool pistons.

As you can see it is a very high performance engine.

However it cannot handle as many RPMs or as much power as the Cummins on stock internals. This is because it is a V8 not becasue it is weak.

The only thing duramaxes need replacement of in the bottom end at about the 800hp level is the rods, rod bolts and maybe a couple other things. THey have been pulling the webbing out in a couple of cases though.

The 5.9 Cummins is the most common motor sold by Cummins. It is used in everything. Heres where the majority of them go. School Buses, Fed Ex Trucks, Agriculture, yard spotters, Dodge Pickups, RVs, Municipal vehicles and many others.

The comment on how Dodge and Powerstroke had to do a lot to meet Tier 3 while Duramax didnt is not quote true.

THose two did do more but Duramax did more that just put a DPF on.

They now have throttle bodies, EGR cooling, a new injection system with Piezo injectors and a few other little things.

The LMM is the last 6.6 Duramax, it will be changed to meet Tier 4, when it phases in through 2008-2012.

The Cummins has an Edge on The Duramax, but not by much.

Heres how id rate them

Cummins-9
Duramax-8.5
Powerstroke-2

Also Id bet you 1000 bucks that your dodge isnt even close to the 350hp and 635 lb ft of torque that you listed.

All youve done is put an exhasut on it, that will give you about 10hp max at the dyno. I belive you said it was 5" exhaust so that will be even less because with no other mods your stock truck actually has troubles pushing the exhaust out.

You cant take the manufacturers number, add it to your stock power and expect to have that much power. Besides incase you didnt know, diesels are rated a lot differently than gasses, diesels are rated at the crank not the rear wheels. An LB7 DMAx is supposed to have 300hp but at the rear wheelsits 270, becasue you typically loose 15% of your power through a tranny.

And Cummins isnt Mopar.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Very good post there, strong information. In truth, neither manufacturer of these diesel engines would have had to change as much as they did to meet the standards, but the better improvements are obviously a big improvement. Also I think I heard that GM now owns all the rights to the Duramax and they build it as well but I'm not sure. I can't seem to find that information but I think it was somewhere on dieselplace.com. From what I heard through a friend in a diesel tech class Detroit diesels are far from good any more. Second on the automatic tranny part, I'm sure you'll replace the clutch more in a diesel then you'll ever have to replace parts in an Allison if you keep up on maintenance. I forgot all about the Duramaxes being put into GM's medium duty trucks, duh...

The new LMM is a really good engine though with little change. It's new injectors are solenoid controlled seven hole, and in Diesel Power mag it says that the GM performance division designed them, they're suppose to inject mupltiple times each stroke to make it quieter and more efficient. The intake throttle was added to increase load on the engine at idle to create heat to get a cleaner burn along with all this other emissions shit. These new emissions really bother me. The turbo shaft was changed to to make it much more durable. They went to an electrically controlled fan too, which is run off the trucks computer system, that 32 bit computer in itself is quite impressive. I know GM has changed the con rods in the Dmax over the years but they're still nowhere that of the Cummins, if I could find the picture I'd show you, but once again that goes back to the Cummins reliablity being higher. All you really have to replace on the bottom end is bearings every 500k.

'Nother change, the Duramax, no matter what chassis it is in, it will put out the same amount of power.

International builds good diesels, but I think Ford is the reason they suck. It just seems that Ford would rather have good lucking numbers in power and in reliability. It's only common sense that adding more headstuds per cylinder will increase strength, instead the just increase bore diameter? C'mon...

Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #27
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Very good post there, strong information. In truth, neither manufacturer of these diesel engines would have had to change as much as they did to meet the standards, but the better improvements are obviously a big improvement. Also I think I heard that GM now owns all the rights to the Duramax and they build it as well but I'm not sure. I can't seem to find that information but I think it was somewhere on dieselplace.com. From what I heard through a friend in a diesel tech class Detroit diesels are far from good any more. Second on the automatic tranny part, I'm sure you'll replace the clutch more in a diesel then you'll ever have to replace parts in an Allison if you keep up on maintenance. I forgot all about the Duramaxes being put into GM's medium duty trucks, duh...

The new LMM is a really good engine though with little change. It's new injectors are solenoid controlled seven hole, and in Diesel Power mag it says that the GM performance division designed them, they're suppose to inject mupltiple times each stroke to make it quieter and more efficient. The intake throttle was added to increase load on the engine at idle to create heat to get a cleaner burn along with all this other emissions shit. These new emissions really bother me. The turbo shaft was changed to to make it much more durable. They went to an electrically controlled fan too, which is run off the trucks computer system, that 32 bit computer in itself is quite impressive. I know GM has changed the con rods in the Dmax over the years but they're still nowhere that of the Cummins, if I could find the picture I'd show you, but once again that goes back to the Cummins reliablity being higher. All you really have to replace on the bottom end is bearings every 500k.

'Nother change, the Duramax, no matter what chassis it is in, it will put out the same amount of power.

International builds good diesels, but I think Ford is the reason they suck. It just seems that Ford would rather have good lucking numbers in power and in reliability. It's only common sense that adding more headstuds per cylinder will increase strength, instead the just increase bore diameter? C'mon...

Old 02-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #28
cumminstrokethis
AF Newbie

Just a few thoughts that ran through my mind when I read the last post.

The Cummins rods are WAY bigger than a DMax. Ive seen the pic your talking about. I also know that you can rev the Cummins to over 7000rpm and the rods will still be good, only the rod bolts go. Ive only seen a DMax hit 5700RPM and then the rods went, but they are also smaller and its a V8.

GM does completely control the Duramax, I belive they have for the most part since the beginning, but they had Isuzu help them design it.

Detroits never were the best motor, they werent bad but they werent the best out of the big three (Cummins, CAT, Detroit)

From what Ive seen the 60 series is a 700,000 mile motor, and the CAT and CUmmins at about 1,000,000 mile motor. This is when we actually have to do any rebuilds or overhauls on them. But then again it depends on the driver.

The Cummins is still the most durable and easy to work on and the DMax isnt far behind, but Ford, not international, has a long way to go. International motors are great but I agreee that Ford is bringing them down.

Heck the new 6.4 has 360hp while the 6.7 Cummins (non chassis cab) has 350hp and the LMM DMax has 365.

Im a chevy/allison/dmax guy, but Im also a CUmmins fanatic and at the same time i love the 466 in my pulling tractor. Its really hard for me to choose which is best, but I just know that the Powerstroke Idea should just be thrown out the window.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #29
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Worded this wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10_viper
What I meant:

Quote:
International builds good diesels, but I think Ford is the reason they suck. It just seems that Ford would rather have good looking numbers in power than in reliability. It's only common sense that adding more headstuds per cylinder will increase strength, instead the just increase bore diameter? C'mon...
Where I was going with the GM/Isuzu thing was that for the first few years GM relied on Isuzu to help them with the Duramax. I think GM is doing it all on their own now with no outside help, but can't confirm that. I wouldn't mind seeing what the size of the rods are in the Cummins 6.7 now, if they're bigger or not, one would assume so though. Also, have you seen the 6.7 ISB they're putting in the RV's now? Rated at 350 hp and 750 lb ft of torque, why not that engine Dodge? I dont think that GM could increase rod size too much in the Duramax though, it's fairly compact compared to a Cummins.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #30
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Worded this wrong:

Quote:
What I meant:

Quote:
International builds good diesels, but I think Ford is the reason they suck. It just seems that Ford would rather have good looking numbers in power than in reliability. It's only common sense that adding more headstuds per cylinder will increase strength, instead the just increase bore diameter? C'mon...
Where I was going with the GM/Isuzu thing was that for the first few years GM relied on Isuzu to help them with the Duramax. I think GM is doing it all on their own now with no outside help, but can't confirm that. I wouldn't mind seeing what the size of the rods are in the Cummins 6.7 now, if they're bigger or not, one would assume so though. Also, have you seen the 6.7 ISB they're putting in the RV's now? Rated at 350 hp and 750 lb ft of torque, why not that engine Dodge? I dont think that GM could increase rod size too much in the Duramax though, it's fairly compact compared to a Cummins.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical