Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 12:51 PM   #1
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to kicker1_solo Send a message via Yahoo to kicker1_solo
Shaved Door Handle How To???

Anybody have a good how-to on this? I can't find one that I want yet.
Thanx in advance.

Yakima Valley Truck Club Yakima Washington
Old 02-28-2002, 11:14 AM   #2
DMC12
DeLorean Guy

Many factors...

Ce'st ne facile pas, mon ami. The most important instruction is that this is an ART. If you are not comfortable with bodywork or paint, then hire someone to do it for you...

Remove the door handle. This procedure varies from car to car, but will involve you removing the door panel and cutting your hand a lot on the door's internals I recommend starting with the passenger's side... that way if you mess up you won't have to look at it every time you approach your ride. While your work is in progress, make sure you have another door with a lock & handle that you can use to get in & out of the car in case you need to drive somewhere or lock it up for the night.

The first decision you need to make is: Do you want it done "right" or just done? Right means welding the handle hole shut, grinding down the weld so no Bondo is used & applying rust inhibitor. Personally, I never do it the right way, so I patched the hole with fiberglass & Bondo. Next, a door popping kit must be selected. This is where my experince ends (took mine to stereo shop). Check out the parts from this cool site.

Anyone pick up from here?
Old 03-01-2002, 12:37 AM   #3
Rice-Rocketeer
AF Enthusiast

Old 03-01-2002, 08:52 PM   #4
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
How To: "Shave" things off your cars body
thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:38 PM   #5
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

I made a few post on here as some of you may know, more so the post/instructions on how to shave door handles.. If its not too late please diregard those instructions.. I will be deleting them by the end of the day. As some of you may know my car is in the shop and has been for about 4 weeks. Prior to that Me and a couple buddies shaved the door handles. They looked and felt perfect. We used the fiberglass and bondo method. The reason for this was that welding sheet metal in the door can cause the metal on the door to warp and it is very risky. Anyways, 4 weeks later the car is done, well almost. I went to the body shop on Sunday evening after my guy sprayed it... OMG did she looks hella good, very clean.. It was hot and sunny, and she was gleaming, upon a closer look, I noticed I could see all the outlines of where the doorhandles used to be.. Holy shit was I pissed! My guy said he would resand them and refill them. So I went down Monday morning to see what the progress report was, and to our suprise they were gone. I was happy so we continued on with another problem which I will post another thread on. Later in the day I got a call from him, shortly after the sun had came out.. It did it again, you could again see those damn outlines.. We were puzzled, so he made a few calls to paint shops and a few experts. Well what we found out was that the fiberglass was too thick.. So when the temperatures created by the sun were casted upon it, the fiberglass swelled(Which is normal for fiberglass to do). You could not feel anything but you could see it. So we have welded sheet metal in the holes.. No this is not your normal arch welder, this is a "Wire Fed Welder" that runs off of "Argon Gas" This is the welder is needed to do this project to these newer cars with the thin metal.. Its almost like not applying any heat, its simply instaneously welding, how it works I don't know but the difference is that it uses Argon. Hot Rods back in the day were made like iron, so welding them was an easy task. Now days the metal is so fragile, it can't be welded the same as back in the day.. Now they look great no problem whatsoever. I apologize if anyone followed my directions.. I will not be responsible either, but none the less I do apologize.. If your loooking for something temporary then by all means go for it, if your not worried how it would look with a 3000 dollar paint job, go for it, but if you are anything like me, and learn from lessons and mistakes, then don't do the method that I posted. Luckily for me, my guy is repairing it free of charge (Well he's one of my sponsors) but any other body shop would cost an arm and a leg to repair, let alone do the task from scratch.. Most shaved doors are done in a garage with a few guys and a few beers with the hopes of woman showing up looking for some.. LOL Anyways, take care and good luck in the art of shaving door handles.. If ya got any question hit me back..
Old 07-06-2002, 01:48 AM   #6
kicker1_solo
AF Fanatic

thanx wags but this already gave me everything I needed
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t16500.html

Old 11-10-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
teamdb
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to teamdb
i was gonna shave my door handles on my accord, im wondering can you just us bondo..i meaN bye leave the door handle and put alota bondo over it bye fillin the door handle and sand it down cause that what i don to my key hole..i just sanded it and filled it with bondo and sand it down till its all even....it came out nice..do u think this way will work...????
Old 02-04-2003, 01:24 AM   #8
Gusto222
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Gusto222 Send a message via Yahoo to Gusto222
Quote:
Originally posted by teamdb
i was gonna shave my door handles on my accord, im wondering can you just us bondo..i meaN bye leave the door handle and put alota bondo over it bye fillin the door handle and sand it down cause that what i don to my key hole..i just sanded it and filled it with bondo and sand it down till its all even....it came out nice..do u think this way will work...????
real crappy way of doin it.. i dunno if it will last.. had my doors shaved.. welll i had everything shaved on my car-- it was all welded shut.. is tha BESt way to do it....
~~~~~~
'96 civHB:shaved:19" rims:3000w stereo -- SOLD

'97 Tacoma:2wd:lifted -- SOLD

'00 Dakota.QC:lifted:33"tires ---SOLD

'06 Mazda3.GT:Eibach:mazdaspeed I/E
Old 03-18-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
zippeay
AF Enthusiast

I have a pic of my car in the exterior/body kit section and my handles are shaved so are my emblem holes . I did it all myself and I've shaved handles on 3 other of my friends cars but I did weld them all. You have to have a MIG welder and you don't have to use gas you can use flux core rod, but it is really dirty and the welds arn't very nice. What you have to do is make you patch and tack weld it, every time you weld a tack right after you tack it, take and air sprayer and spray air right on the weld to cool it down or the door WILL WARP!!!! And no you can't just fill in your door handle with bondo, first most handles arn't flush so you wouldn't be able to make the door smooth and second if you have more that 1/4 inch of bondo on anything it will crack. Bondo is for minor dents not to fill in holes and big voids. I don't suggest you do this unless you're fairly good at body work cause I've seen some really shitty door handle out lines around here "NOT MINE THOUGH". If you've never really done body work have someone do it cause if you screw it up it'll cost you 4 times as much to have it fixed or worse you'll have to buy a new door. Good luck anyway
Old 03-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #10
whiteracer
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to whiteracer Send a message via Yahoo to whiteracer
dumb questions here...

How do you open your doors if its shaved?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #11
zippeay
AF Enthusiast

Companies like Autolock "there really expensive" make sylinoid kits "similar to power door locks but more heavy duty" that use a remote. Just hit the remote and it pops your door open. They also make springs that you can attatch to the door post's so when you use the remote it pushes the door open. I don't have the springs on my car I just pop the door and grap the edge of the door and open it. Well have fun:flash:
Old 05-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #12
Dave ESPI
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dave ESPI Send a message via Yahoo to Dave ESPI
lmao.. we get in 'cause we have JEDI car MIND TRICKS

poppers, or remote latches that are hidden.

Poppers are inherently annoying. I am currently doing a 66 T-Bird shave project, and an lucky enough to have door latches that " PULL UP" off the latch release. I will be drilling a hole 1/2 inch away fron the window channel and using a bike BRAKE cable and a ringlet, a release wgen the door is "keyed" (yeah leaving the door lock is important in this operation) OR I will be using a simple design of some custom billet "chromed door latch knobs" on the outside and a "J" hook woth threading on it ran through a grommet in the door to match up and simply be a "PULL" rod through the door. it will look great no-matter what.

I will post pix this month as it is in the shop now.

FWIW< DO NOT RELY ON ELECTRICAL DEVICES TO LET U INTO YOUR CAR.... A BUSTED WINDOW sucks. So does locking yer keys in a DEAD BATTERY CAR.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:22 PM   #13
akolsy
AF Newbie

Question Bondo

Is the Bondo ever Removeable?? Say if i wanted to shave my honda emblems off. When i take the hond sign off there are two holes. Soo all i do is put some BONDO in to fill in the holes and then just paint over it? Or do i have to sand it? Doesn't that ruin the paint??? How much is BONDO?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #14
chiller7710
AF Newbie

ya bro, bondo is really cheap in the course of automotive products, about 6 dollars for a small can and around 15 to 20 for a big can. But if i were you man and if you have never messed with the stuff, first do alot of research (it is a good bit of work to prepare a car for bondo) and after doing your reasearch if you are still a little uncomfortable i would find an experienced pearson to help or do it for ya. good luck
Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #15
munger
AF Newbie

Re: Shaved Door Handle How To???

in order to fill in your holes you need to weld them shut in you just smear bondo on it in a few years it will fall off you need to clean the paint off your car take a roll lock and take the paint off to bare metal be care full beacuse if you dont know what your doing you could grind through your hood after your holes are welded shut wile there still hot hammer and dolly the welds a bit then cool with water and a sponge and then grind the nuggets down with a makita grinder finish it off with the roll lock take a dule axis sander with 80 grit sand paper and buzz over it quick take the mud (bondo) and smear some on hand sand it with 80 and finish sand with 180 if its not perfect repeat youll have to feather edge your paint and then have it repainted filling in bigger areas youll have to cut out the indentations where your handle was and then fill it in with 20 gauge sheet metal youll have to use a wire welder but weld in the same way you would tighten lugnuts on a car dont run a continous bead youll screw up your sheet metal hand have a big mess

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical