Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #16
rockwood84
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2003 Ram Hemi Electronic Throttle Control malfunction

if the etc gets dirty or gummed up inside it it will stick and cause the problems . the computor depends on the etc to tell it where the throttle is. if the etc is bad or gummed up it will act up and not give the correct readings to the computor. this should be covered under the extended warranty but this part is not cheap so many dealers will bull**** you as long as they can keep from putting it on. they can be cleaned with a can of carb or electrical cleaner.
rockwood84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
msmaggie
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard
I took it back yesterday, and they checked it out again, and now they claimed they fixed it by cleaning the throttle body, if that makes any sense. I had to drive from Oklahoma City to Dallas after I picked it up, and the problem didn't reoccur, which is the farthest distance I've driven it in half a year without the problem happening. So I figure if it doesn't show up by the time I get back to Oklahoma, then I will have some confidence in that they fixed it. Thanks for you help everybody. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
lizard I have had the problem day one on this 47,000.00 2003 limited edition.
I have had the cleaning done and it works for 6 months. Today i went to start my truck and would not start first time ever. I had the throttle cleaned and it does not run rough but it has to be done by hand and anyone who is engine knowledge can do this. Dodge knows of this problem but fails to correct the problem.
msmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
kcd1369
AF Newbie

Are you getting the Lightning bolt looking light on the dash? If so that would indicate that you need to clen your throttle body. The dealership wants $125.00. you can do it in 45 mins. with a can of brake part cleaner and some q tips. It works evy time for me on my 03 Hemi.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
SupermanAk47
AF Newbie

hey guys have had the same trob. cleaning the throttle body didnt help, changing both of the speed sensors didnt help. i have been told it is the transmission computer. going sat. to see if thats the trouble with our damn old dodges if anyone else knows or finds out before i spend like $600 please let me know at supertaz125@yahoo.com
SupermanAk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #20
Scott913
AF Newbie

Has anyone come up with an answer to this one?
Scott913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Sounds like some of Toyota's trouble.

Also sounds like the "Dead Pedal" we get with the Cummins.
The TPS/APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor-$370 item) circuit opens for a split second then the power quits from as long as a coupla seconds to half a minute or longer then returns like nothing happened.
It also affects the auto. transmission shifting.

Here's some DTC's,
P0121 Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low.
APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.

P0122 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage Low.
Throttle position sensor input below the acceptable voltage range.

P0122 Accelerator Position Sensor (APPS) Signal Voltage Too Low.
APPS voltage input below the minimum acceptable voltage.

P0123 Throttle Position Sensor Voltage High.
Throttle position sensor input above the maximum acceptable voltage.

All in the name of traction control on the gassers. My Jeep Liberty has an electronic gas pedal too...potentiometer on the pedal and a servo/tiny motor operating the throttle blade.

Since my Cummins has an electronic injector pump, I can see using that method of throttle control but not on the gassers.

Ding-dong engineers....they must've hired the ones that killed Oldsmobile.

I pulled the APPS wiring connector on my 2001 Cummins and found 1 pin discolored so I re-connected, disconnected then reconnected it a few times to make a better connection. The 1st time lasted about a year and the 2nd time has lasted nearly 2 years.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #22
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

it depends on the dtc only if you get a p2173 high airflow vacuum leak detected (slow accumulation) dtc you need to clean the tb, if it does not work there is a bulletin to flash the pcm
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

So the throttle can be stuck open a degree or so, the TPS reports that to the PCM which generates a code? There's nothing really wrong with the servo?

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #24
mfinnerty
AF Newbie

I had the same problem.... vehicle shuddered, performance went downhill. Never have figured out what the problem was.

Also had the problem with it seeming like the tranny was low on fluid.

Codes P-2175 and P-2106 were displayed indicating air restriction and MAP sensor failure. It also stated that the TPS failed. I find out later that my 2003 Ram 1500 Hemi does not have a TPS. No restriction found in air box or anywhere in front of the throat of the intake.

Are there no fixes for these problems?
mfinnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #25
hundahunta
AF Enthusiast

p2175 clean the throttle body, p2106 etc forced limited power. due to p2175 dtc
hundahunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
mfinnerty
AF Newbie

Hey, thanks for the info. I will try it and let you know how it does
Old 07-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #27
kuhnzoo
AF Newbie

2003 Dodge RAM 2500 QC 4X4 5.7L NVG4500 MT 87,800 miles

I have experienced similar problems with power loss, unresponsive throttle and engine shutdown. Symptoms still present after cleaning the Throttle Body (used clean dry rags, no solvents).

Codes P1618 and P2106 were stored except during complete engine shutdown then all codes were cleared from memory (by no action of mine).

Took it to the dealer, they updated the PCM to the tune of $200 (including diagnostic charge). They said if that didn't work, they would replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Well, the PCM update didn't solve the problem and I replaced the crank sensor myself (with an OEM sensor). That didn't work either.

Ordered a camshaft position sensor to try. Not here yet, but I am not confident this will work. Not sure what to do next? Can't keep paying the dealer to charge me for their professional guessing technique... so much for being diagnostic experts.
kuhnzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
mfinnerty
AF Newbie

I removed the throttle body and did clean it (carburetor cleaner soaked rags). Re-installed it and it worked like new. This lasted about two months. Now the throttle body sensor light keeps coming on and causing the truck to go into "limp" mode (lower power, higher fuel consumption). I simply disconnect the battery for a few seconds and it will clear the trouble codes. Then it will work just fine for a couple of weeks.
Guess I'll just keep doing that as opposed to spending 530 bucks on a new throttle body.

Sad to think that there is such a widespread problem with these vehicles and there isn't a definitive fix for it.

Mike
Old 07-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #29
kuhnzoo
AF Newbie

Unfortunately, my problem is happening about every other day. Not too practical to disconnect/reconnect the battery that often.

$530 for the throttle body, eh? WOW!
kuhnzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #30
mfinnerty
AF Newbie

I have no idea as to what else to do to solve the problem... other than selling the vehicle.

The only other "fix" I can think of is a master battery disconnect switch. Open the hood, turn it off, turn it on, and you are in business. You would think that Dodge would have figured out a fix for this.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10