Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 AM   #16
jclayto
AF Newbie

When they finally replaced my unit under warranty, they replaced the fuel pump and the sending unit. I would doubt they would have went to any extra trouble/cost if they didnt have to, so i am inclined to believe maybe you do have to buy the pump/unit togeather. Doesnt make sense though.
jclayto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:31 AM   #17
wantsumsleep
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to wantsumsleep
Same problem

I have a 2001 Rodeo LS. I had the problem with the fuel guage indicating low fuel, yet I fill up and only put in 10 gallons or less. I have gone from 330 miles when full to 180 miles. This is crazy. A few years ago, while under warranty, the dealership replaced this part. Now it is happening AGAIN and not under warranty. They want $550 min. I called a garage and told them about the problem and that I read on this forum that the part can be bought WITHOUT the fuel pump. I am hoping he can get the unit and install. I don't know how to install it so I will have to pay someone. What do I do if he cannot get this part?
wantsumsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #18
brookeanne
AF Newbie

Re: part number

I'm so glad that I am not the only one dealing with this stupid fuel guage problem! Mine always says empty and the light is always flashing. I'm a college student and have hardly any money, so I hope that I can get this resolved fairly easily. I drive from Oklahoma to Dallas frequently and this problem is the worst possible thing that could have happened! (Actually I shouldn't say that... Knock on wood) Unlike some of you guys, I don't know that any of my friends or family would be able to help me install a new fuel sending unit. Any advice? Should I purchase one myself and take it to a mechanic? I know nothing about cars and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
brookeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #19
Jawjahboy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2000 Isuzu Rodeo CEL, fuel tank sending unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammie
Hi! I came acrosss your post by doing a search and I am having the exact same problem. I also have a 2000 rodeo but I have 74K miles on mine.

My problem started last July (when I had about 60K miles on it). The CEL came on and the truck felt like it was about to stall. Brought it in to the dealer, they told me I needed an EGR valve, the plugs needed cleaning etc.., total cost was $500+. My husband told them no and we left the truck alone. It ran fine except for the CEL. It would go on and off.

I now brought it to a friend of ours who has a shop. He tuned it up and hooked the truck up to the computer and he came back with a code 463. I'm also having the problem with the gas light blinking, but it would only happen when I have a 1/4 tank of gas and I'm making a right turn.

Have you gotten anything resolved with this issue? Did you call Isuzu? How many others out there are having this problem as well?

Yes, I have been having the same problem for about 40,000 miles, but did not know what to do. Any suggestions????
Jawjahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #20
bobertya
AF Newbie

It's not just the Troopers. My Isuzu '02 Axiom has the EXACT same problem. Gas light blinks, fuel gage goes to to empty. Only shows full when I fill it up or on occasion when I turn on the power before starting it up.

Anyone have a talk-thru walk-thru step by step intructions on replacing the sending unit already posted? Don't want to recreate the wheel if someone already did. There is very little published on Isuzu maintenance that I have been able to gain access to.

THANKS!
bobertya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:09 AM   #21
zag
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Isuzu Rodeo CEL, fuel tank sending unit

You can buy the fuel sending unit cheap from St. Charles Isuzu in St. Peters, MO (PH: 636-441-4481). It comes with installation instructions.
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #22
rpaint01
AF Newbie

Fuel Tank Sending Unit Recalled?

I have a 1999 Rodeo and I'm pretty sure that the Fuel Tank Sending Unit was replaced due to a recall in 2001 or so. I can't seem to find the recall notice - maybe it was a paid service repair. Anyway CEL came on last year and they charged a ton to flush the EGR, then more money to replace the EGR valve. CEL is off, but my fuel performance is in the toilet. Any suggestions?
rpaint01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #23
jen77green
AF Newbie

Angry stalling on startup, CEL on, getting worse everyday

How can I possibly solve this problem without forking over $600? I have read to take my car to Autozone and get them to run a diagnostics test on it. Would cleaning the fuel filter and carbuerator work?
jen77green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #24
zag
AF Newbie

Re: stalling on startup, CEL on, getting worse everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen77green
How can I possibly solve this problem without forking over $600? I have read to take my car to Autozone and get them to run a diagnostics test on it. Would cleaning the fuel filter and carbuerator work?
You are correct... the first step would be to get a CEL read at Autozone. There's a chance that the problem will be obvious from that.
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #25
chrisgrant
AF Newbie

yeah... i have a rodeo also with all of the same problems... its rediculas
chrisgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:01 PM   #26
Rustyp
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2000 Isuzu Rodeo CEL, fuel tank sending unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjahboy
Yes, I have been having the same problem for about 40,000 miles, but did not know what to do. Any suggestions????
Just read the mssg about fuel gauge and EGR issues. I believe you have two problems.
I have a 2000 Rodeo myself.
1. inaccurate or no-read fuel gauge: This is a fuel sender issue. I had the fuel sender replaced under warranty about 1 1/2 years ago. Because the sender unit is not considered part of the power trane 100k warranty that came with the vehicle, the dealership replaced the whole fuel pump stating that "the sender unit is an intrical part of the pump and therefore falls under the vehicle's 100k power trane" warranty. It did'nt cost me anything, but the bill would have been approx $200-300.
2. bad EGR valve. Just had this one happen (Dec 05). similar to other emails, the dealership wanted to charge me >$450 just to replace the valve, but I said "NO" because this is abnormally high. I need some info on where I might purchase a new valve or if the valve simply needs to be cleaned out. The dealer told me the valve allows exhaust to be refed back into the combustion chamber to help eliminate harmful exhaust fumes and to allow greater fuel mileage. dealer said the valve was "blocked". if anyone can help, please direct me to a step by step procedure for replacing this faulty valve (or if replacement is needed).

Thanks!
Rustyp
Rustyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:56 AM   #27
Rustyp
AF Newbie

Regarding the CEL; you need to service your EGR valve. The reason this valve has gone bad is that burning regular or cheaper gas builds up carbon deposits in the valve. Over time, the vavle will stick, causing it not to function properly. When the valve sticks, the vacuum port does not open and causes your vehicle to run rough or stall or both.

You have one of two choices to fix this issue:
1. replace the EGR valve
2. repair the EGR valve

When I took my Rodeo to the dealership they wanted a whopping $550 just to replace the valve. This is an enormouse expense for a fixable problem.

Here is a guide to cleaning the EGR.

1. Remove the EGR valve.
2. There are 2 holes; the larger one is the one that supplies exhaust flow. don't worry about this hole. The other is a vacuum port. This port is where exhaust gases are directed when the EGR valve opens. What happens to the EGR valve is that carbon deposits stick to the walls of the vacuum port and over time will restrict flow normally about 30,000 miles. You can offset this occurrence by burning a tank of premium gas for every 4-5 tanks of regular gas.
3. Check your local dealer for Intake cleaner ask about BG products. To make this fix you will need is the intake cleaner (spray can), or head to your local parts place and pick up a can or carb cleaner that is safe for O2 sensors
4. Find something to plug the larger hole with. Make sure it will not vibrate and fall out because there will be slight exhaust pressure on it. Make sure it is plugged real well because the cleaning fluid is highly flammable and any leaks in this hole will cause a flame.
5. Once the large hole is plugged, start the vehicle. Then spray intake cleaner into the vacuum port. You may have to raise the idle or just open the throttle by hand to spray into the hole. Spray until the can is empty.
Rustyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #28
directory
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyp
5. Once the large hole is plugged, start the vehicle. Then spray intake cleaner into the vacuum port. You may have to raise the idle or just open the throttle by hand to spray into the hole. Spray until the can is empty.
you don't need to start the truck in order to clean it.

check here for more info: http://www.isuzufaq.com/#faq1

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B

Last edited by amigo-2k; 07-31-2006 at 10:03 PM.
directory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #29
awnicol
Banned

I have several of these fuel sending units for Rodeso and Passports from 1998-2002. Please email me at anicol@cfl.rr.com if you would like one for under $40.00. I have sold over 300 of these on eBay in the past year. They are original, brand new OEM factory Isuzu fuel sending units with complete installation instructions. I stand behind my items. Either look on eBay for seller awnicol25 or email me. Do not let the dealers rip you off by getting you to buy a fuel pump or some other item. You will not need to calibrate after the fuel sending unit is installed either, as some dealers may tell you. Best of luck!
awnicol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #30
directory
AF Enthusiast

great....

SKYWARN

we be clubbin'

--B
directory is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical