Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:47 PM   #31
mxeng
AF Newbie

check the speedometer

You might also check the speedometer/odometer. My 98 has tires that are quite a bit bigger than stock (285-16), so I checked my speedometer and it is more than 8% off. That throws off the mileage calculation quite a bit.

Bad news is that my corrected mileage is still only about 12, which is horrible.

Does anyone have experience with the "power programmer" devices? The websites talk about nothing but horsepower but surely someone is dinking around with fuel, ignition, and shift points with an eye toward improving mileage.

Bizarre as it sounds, I'm actually considering lowering my 4x4. This thing is too tall. Anyone got an idea how much that will help the mileage?
mxeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #32
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help! Need better gas mileage

"Bizarre as it sounds, I'm actually considering lowering my 4x4. This thing is too tall. Anyone got an idea how much that will help the mileage?" -- mxeng

8% !

LOL

(you really won't see much difference, 8% is probably real close, maybe 15MPG if you're lucky. 17 on the highway with no tailgate or load, in overdrive on a flat surface. (I'm not going to say down hill with the engine off, I am fairly serious...)
Old 06-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #33
BleedDodge
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to BleedDodge

Everybody knows that Dodges have never been famous for good gas mileage, same with Ford. It seems like Chevy knows how to make a fuel efficient V8, but it has no power, and those trucks rust so fast...
Old 06-23-2004, 06:13 PM   #34
TRAILDUSTER79
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TRAILDUSTER79 Send a message via Yahoo to TRAILDUSTER79

I also have to add this, The real only way to get better gas milage out of a Dodge truck is to do some major work to the entire system in order to do it right. There is so much that can be done, the only draw back is $$$$$$. BUT, You can spend the same amount of money on a ford, chevy, and a Dodge and you will always get more for your money out of the Dodge. Simple but proven fact. The larger the tires, the more wear on your brakes, engine, drive-line, fuel and suspenssion. Dodge designs the trucks with a 4" lift and they think this is plenty for everyday uses. Now if you are doing some major off-roading, then some other things will be done, but it is a give and take situation.

If you are doing all the mods to your truck for looks, then you are eating your own money. Build your truck to be functional. If you will only use it once a year, more than likely you don't need it because you can find another way of doing whatever it is without the part.

Be smart in what you need and want and look at the total factors involved before you begin. It may look as if the mod you want may only cost you $600 right now, but how much will it cost you in the long run in repairs and fuel and general upkeep?

OOOOOOOOOOO something to think about!!!!
TRAILDUSTER79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #35
sadlerb_98
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sadlerb_98
Just back from Iraq; got 13.87 mpg on a trip to SD doing 70 mph. I guess that isn't too bad. I was re-reading the posts here and noticed the "death flash" talk. Is that fixed yet? Also, has anyone used a power programmer? With a price tag of $399 I would have to do a lot of driving to make back my money. I am also thinking of adding a drop in K&N air filter and some sort of exhaust change.

thanks
sadlerb_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #36
lownloud
AF Newbie

you are driving a four wheel drive truck with a 5.9 and a cap on it and you are wondering why your mileage is bad is this correct?Your cap could be creating some drag.I have read some studies on leaving the tailgate up or down and I have found that there is numerous debates on this,but some studies have shown that leaving the tailgate up actually creates a "bubble"of air in the bed of the truck letting air flow over the gate with less drag.Here is a link to the subject on another site.
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/u...0;t=000488;p=1

The only thing that I can think of to improve your mileage is remove the cap when your bike is not in the truck if that is possible.
lownloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #37
hdben
AF Newbie

I have an 03 quad cab with a hemi, no 4wd, added a drop in K & N with a magnaflow big block muffler (not noisey). Go on trips to see the family which means going over some small foothills and mountains and still get 19.5 mpg average. Go with the quality parts. Use cruise control and common sense, that goes along way. Good luck.
hdben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:47 AM   #38
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlerb_98
Just back from Iraq; got 13.87 mpg on a trip to SD doing 70 mph. I guess that isn't too bad. I was re-reading the posts here and noticed the "death flash" talk. Is that fixed yet? Also, has anyone used a power programmer? With a price tag of $399 I would have to do a lot of driving to make back my money. I am also thinking of adding a drop in K&N air filter and some sort of exhaust change.

thanks

First of all, welcome back and a big salute for your service.

From many posts here, the "Death Flash" may very well be real, and is worth investigating.

Another cause of lowered mpg could be a bad O2 sensor. There have been quite a few posts in the Dodge truck and other forums where low mpg was caused by a bad oxygen sensor, so that should be worth a check also. My brother has a V10, he was getting only 6-7 mpg, bad O2 sensor disconnected mpg jumped to over 11.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #39
sadlerb_98
AF Regular

Thanks for the welcome home!

I will check those out in the next few days.

I know the dodge won't ever get the 17 mpg that is on its window sticker but every little bit will help. I plan on keeping this truck for a few more years.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #40
fredjacksonsan

Hey 17 is a hell of a lot better than 11!!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:56 AM   #41
sadlerb_98
AF Regular

Better MPG now

I changed to a flowmaster 50-series cat back exhaust, K&N drop in air filter, new tires & shocks. I gained just over .5 mpg on the trip back from SD doing 68-70 mph. That brings my MPG up to 14.5 mpg. Not too bad with a fully loaded truck and using 10% ethanol fuel.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #42
fredjacksonsan

Seems like every little bit helps. What tire size are you running, and any luck checking the O2 sensor?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #43
sadlerb_98
AF Regular

Hello:

I am running LT265/75/16 at around 40 psi. I used my scanner to check for trouble codes and none showed up. I haven't had a chance to check each individual O2 sensor yet. I may do that in the next few days when it warms up.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 AM   #44
fredjacksonsan

Cool; good luck with it....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10