Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
Marc123
AF Newbie

Towing capacity advice/help for 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3lt

Hello

I have just purchased a tent trailer before doing the math for towing capacity (I know, stupid rookie move) and am wondering if anyone can help with advice. The trailer weight unloaded is about 1900 to 2000 lbs and the van manual says not to exceed a total weight of both van and trailer of 6600lbs.

I think I am in trouble with the total weight though. I am thinking of adding some suspension support to the rear and adding a trans cooler. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Marc123
Marc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
savage_with_wrench
AF Newbie

Towing capacity advice/help for 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3lt

I had an earlier Caravan with the 3.3 motor that I used to tow almost 10k lbs(combined weight) from east coast to west. I wouldn't recommend towing that much but you have some reserve. The curb weight for your van is ~3900 lbs so with your trailer attached you have some room. It is important to keep the weight ratio of the trailer to the van as low as possible. 2100/4500 is safe. I would only recommend beefing the rear springs if the rear of your van sags significantly when towing(excessive tongue weight). I couldn't tell you much about the trans cooler except that my van had a factory installed external cooler as part of a towing package and I sold the van with a good tranny at 135k miles.
savage_with_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
mayaman
AF Newbie

Re: Towing capacity advice/help for 2003 Dodge Caravan 3.3lt

dont feel stupid i did the same as you bought the tent trailer weight mty 1400lbs total capacity weight of the trailer loaded 2300lbs towing capacity of my plymouth was 2000lbs according to Chyrsler and the handbook i also had a new hitch and electric brake controller fitted the car towed fine on the flat but on any long but not to steep a grade the car had a hard time even when the trailer was mty and only my wife and i in the car it did not feel right so i bought a Pontiac van according to the hand book she will tow 3500lbs with two people in the car with 7 people 2000lbs had a class 2 hitch fitted along with my brake controller and according to Chrysler there vans only tow 2000lbs so that let them out for me the fact is its hard to find out info on towing capacities the best place to go is www.popupexplorer.com hope this helps
mayaman is offline   Reply With Quote