Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
justineric
AF Newbie

Angry 1994 XE Instrument cluster/gauge problems

Hopefully a veteran can help me out with this one... I own a 1994 Pathfinder XE 5spd 4wd. I have an intermittent problem with the gauges and instrument cluster that affects my turn signals and my power windows. When i set the ignition to the 'on' position, sometimes none of my gauges or system check lights engage. I can start the vehicle fine, but the only gauge that works is the GAS. No tach, speedometer, coolant temp, or system check lights engage. Simultaneously, neither my turn signals, rear defog, or power window controls operate. My hazard switch does in fact work. If I bang the top of the cluster, sometimes everthing engages as if i just turned the ignition to the on position. WEIRD... Anyone with some help/advice??

Thanks!!
justineric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
David Alan
AF Newbie

Question Temp & Fuel Gauge Problem

Sorry I can' help you, but maybe someone can help both of us.

On My '91 Pathfinder, the Temperature and Fuel gauges were intermittent, and now don't work at all. The rest of the instrument panel is fine.

Thanks for any comments!
David Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
zol
AF Newbie

I have a 92 Pathfinder. A week ago the same thing happened: Intermittent fuel & temp gauges...Of course the Chilton book was once again useless except for wiping my butt after morning coffee. My long ago experience with a totally different vehicle leads me to believe it is a voltage regulator problem to do with the associated sender units. Just dont know where the little bugger might be located or what it looks like, thanks again Mr Chilton! If anyone has any clues they will be much appreciated!!
zol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
pixiq72
AF Newbie

I had the same problem but not with a Pathfinder. All the gauges would quit working intermittently. As it turned out to be oxidation on the Ignition Switch connectors. All I did was pull out the Ignition Switch connector and sprayed some connector cleaner and voila!!!... Might try it and see what happens. Good luck
pixiq72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
rad_900
AF Newbie

Re: 1994 XE Instrument cluster/gauge problems

Same thing happen on my 88 Pathfinder.

The voltage regulator is located behind your cluster. mine was top left. It's a little 1x1 box probably silver or black. Mine was silver.

Hope this helps!
rad_900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
tech317
AF Newbie

did you find a fix for the fuel and temp gauge problem?
IS the voltage regulator the fix?
tech317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
funnyfrog25
AF Newbie

Yeah, the voltage regulator can defintiely cause these problems as the power for the whole cluster goes through this part. It's only available from Nissan for about $60. Otherwise you could have cold solder joints in your individual gauges that could cause the individual problems. IF you know anyone who can solder electronic equipment it's an easy thing to do, you just need to heat up the connections and reflow the solder for all of the guages. Good luck guys.
funnyfrog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
MrTim
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 1994 XE Instrument cluster/gauge problems

I have a 1989 SE, and it seems this is a fairly common problem. It drove me nuts for the past year to have to use my trip odometer to fill the tank based on mileage

Here is a fix for the problem - assuming you can do some light mechanical work and you know how to solder. Its really easy, and make sure if you do this to include the heat shrink tubing to cover the transistor leads so they don't short. Also make sure you have thermal paste on the base of the transistor

http://www.nissanpathfinders.com/Solution2.pdf

The voltage regulator (that apparently costs $60) can be replaced. I got an NTE964 instead of the KA7808 - but its interchangable - same pinout and readings, etc. and the thing cost me $2.25

I just (quite literally) got done doing this and it fixed the problem

Good luck
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote