Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
angel_iz378
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to angel_iz378
Exclamation Anyone know anything about ignition switches?

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I've been having trouble for the last couple of weeks with my 2007 LT 'Balt. Of course it started right after I turned over 36,000 mi.(the factory warranty limit). When I put the car in park after driving, the ignition switch doesn't cut all the way back to off, but will only turn to the "ACC" mark which leaves the radio and everything on so the key wont release from the ignition. Sometimes, when I go back with the car off (or on) I can do it again, and it might release. i figure that it's something related between the automatic gear shift and the ignition release (duh). It stopped doing it for about a week or so, now it's doing it again and it's getting to where I cant get my key out at all, even if I spend half an hour putting my car in gear, then park, in gear, then park, etc... I know that since it's no longer under warranty, any place I take it to will charge a fairly hefty sum just to figure out what's wrong, then whatever price it takes to actually fix what's wrong. I'm hoping that if someone can help me as far as what this is, maybe I can save someone some time (and myself some money). Also I would really appreciate if someone could tell me how much this costs to fix...

THIS IS MARKED WITH A ! BECAUSE IT'S STUCK IN MY IGNITION RIGHT NOW!

Check out My NEW 2007 Cobalt LT "Pheonix" @ Car Domain
angel_iz378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
angel_iz378
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to angel_iz378
Lightbulb Re: Anyone know anything about ignition switches?

While I wasn't able to find a definative answer to what this could be, though I found MANY suggestions, I was able to find a solution to get around it for the time being. If anyone else is having this problem (it seems to be a huge issue in a lot of GM cars) here's what you do: on the underside of the steering column there will be a covered hole. Take off the plate that covers the hole. Inside there's a plunger-type switch (it's white in Cobalts). Give this a little push and you'll be able to turn your ignition switch to off and get your key out. I even found one example of a guy who ghetto-rigged it to always be pushed in. For some reason, in my car it doesn't act up every single time (maybe about 75%). Like today, I had to drive to work and back twice, so I ended up having to cut my car off a total of 4 times today, and NOT ONCE did my key get stuck. Go figure. But I have kept that hole open anyway for the next time it DOES get stuck.

Check out My NEW 2007 Cobalt LT "Pheonix" @ Car Domain
angel_iz378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #3
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

Re: Anyone know anything about ignition switches?

That is your safety switch so that you cannot slam it in park locking the steering wheel, when you are traveling down the highway. Until you get a new one you can toss the old one over your shoulder. AS long as you don’t play with the shift lever when you are moving you don’t actually need it. I compare it to the auto shut offs they place on lawn mowers. As long as you have two functioning brain cells you don’t need it

And Yes GM has a problem with them because they also do not allow you to shift out of P without your foot on the brake. That means a lot of old drivers place a lot of ware and tare on the plunger because they forget about the need to step on the brake. (not to mention the damage done to the plastic bushings on the shift lever itself)

Edit: I mispoke, that plunger is to keep you from locking the wheel by turning the key off when you are not in park (woops) but the i was correct about the brake interlock

Last edited by thisnametooktolong; 07-13-2009 at 03:30 PM.
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
2hard2die
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to 2hard2die Send a message via MSN to 2hard2die
Re: Anyone know anything about ignition switches?

YOU may have to do like I did on my 92chev. pickup, I had remove the steering wheel then a few parts inside that lift out ,then remove the ign. lock ,replace put the rest back as took out replace steering wheel, (YOU WILL NEED TO USE A WHEEL PULLER TO TAKE OFF STEERING WHEEL) IT took about 2 hours to replace mine
2hard2die is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cobalt , ignition , key
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt